Self-etching primer in the spray cans. Good? Not good?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm stripping and painting my aluminum Starcraft. I've taken the old paint off and I'm down to the metal. Leaning toward the Rustoleum self-etching primer in the spray can. Who has used this stuff, and some tips and lessons learned would be awesome. Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a fan of big box etch primers. I would use zinc chromate instead

fishrdan

Admiral
I've used Rustoleum etching primer, works well, use several light coats. If you're priming bare aluminum, sand the aluminum to a bright finish then prime withing 6 hours. If you wait too long the aluminum will form an oxide layer that will protect the aluminum, but interfere with the primer sticking properly.

If I was painting something big (a boat), I'd visit the local automotive paint store and pickup the supplies: etching primer, primer, paint, reducers, etc. It may cost a bit more, but will be easier to apply and produce a better finish. I had to paint the transom of my 18 Crestliner, took the paint codes down the the automotive paint store, and it was a perfect match.

If using Rustoleum paint, use enamel hardener to make the paint cure faster and harder. If you don't use hardener it will take weeks for the paint to cure. Tractor supply is supposed to carry it, Amazon has it in Valspar brand. If using hardener you MUST use a respirator, which you should anyway while spray painting... (Same goes for the automotive paint.)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Woodonglass has good advice
Definatly go with sem self etch primer
Been using it for 20+ years and never had a problem

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I myself went with Zinc Chromate. And I found it at NAPA auto-parts store. Reason I went Zinc Chromate? Because that is what the Air Force uses on their aircraft when stripping and repainting their planes. And since I am certain they researched everything to see what works the better, I just followed their ideas. That's not to say self etching primers won't work. I am just duplicating the Air Force's research efforts. JMHO