Jet drive alumacraft model F conversion help

Johnsoncraft

Recruit
I live on the Red Cedar river in western WI and there are gravel and rock bars everywhere. Depth can go from 12 ft to 6 inches in one boat length with the current easily hitting 15 mph or more. I have a 9.5 johnson on the boat right now, and it is almost impossible to get through some stretches of the river. I took my dad out fishing yesterday and we almost didn't make it back upstream, and yes, the prop shows it. This model F alumacraft really handles well in the river, but the outboard is out of the question. I was thinking of putting a jet ski drive in the boat so I can get up and down the river. My big concern is more about how much a jet drive weighs. I have no idea how heavy they are, and I don't want to weigh the back of the boat down. The boat is pretty light, at about 150 lbs.

If anyone has any ideas or insight please let me know. I found an older sea doo for $200 and it seems like a good idea, but tell me if i'm wrong.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Converting to a PWC jet is possible, but it takes up a great deal of room in a small boat, plus it's a good sized project. Getting outboard jet is much easier.