"It Happened!" Transom has to be replaced! (NOW W/PICS)

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
take lots of pics --- is the entire transom rotted? are you going to pull motor and do it from the inside? have you ever done this before?

LX Kid

Ensign
take lots of pics --- is the entire transom rotted? are you going to pull motor and do it from the inside? have you ever done this before?

I'm going to do it from the outside, as already mentioned. The motor has to come out so I can get at the eight nuts on the gimbal mounting plate that holds the gimbal housing on. With the motor mounted you just can't get at the nuts. Anyway there is al lot that can be done with the motor removed like doing the stringers and a good general inspection of the whole engine bay.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If the (or at least 1 of them) primary reason to do the repair from the outside was NOT pulling the motor, which you are now doing, why still repairing from the outside?
:confused:

LX Kid

Ensign
th-2.jpeg
If the (or at least 1 of them) primary reason to do the repair from the outside was NOT pulling the motor, which you are now doing, why still repairing from the outside?
:confused:

Have to cut the rear seats and engine access rear cover out in order to get the new wood inside that area.

Last edited:

notlef

Seaman
Lx, Nothing wrong with doing the transom replacement from the outside. Just leave enough lip all the way around and you will be good to go. I did my 80 GW Offshore the same way you are doing it. A lot of older Grady's and Mako's are done this way.

LX Kid

Ensign
Had a lot of problems getting the engine ready to put on the engine stand. That poor engine hung on that tree limb for about three hours! A lot of rusted, rounded off bolt heads had to use my torch and vice grips to remove the bell housing and flywheel. Long story made short, we "persevered." Tomorrow morning we will start removing the gimbal plate and gimbal housing, start cutting outer skin 2" all [FONT=arial, sans-serif]the way around the perimeter and start chunking out bad wood. [/FONT]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the cap at this point vs going in thru the outside.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my boat is very similar to yours form the outside, not sure on the inside. If the motor is out, just do it from the inside. Overall the work will be less that redoing all the glass from the outside.

My gimbal was seized on the shaft - got a new shaft.

My motor mounts were half rotten. My guy charged me a couple hundred to replace.

mine was about $3700 overall, sure was nice just to pick it up a week later rather than do the work.

LX Kid

Ensign
Gentelmen! Please no more asking why I'm doing it from the outside. It's already been discussed and reason why as listed in the above postings. Thanks

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah guys, come on...

I ran an ad in Craigslist for help and an Australian Bloke called me and gave me some advice on how to do it. I always thought my inboard engine has to come out to do the work. He indicated that's "old school" and all the work is done from the outside.

I have never done one from the outside, so I feel I cannot be helpful in this thread. :blue: --- Good luck LX Kid, hope it works out great! Post pics when ya can.

LX Kid

Ensign
i've subscribed. Pics please.

I wish I could figure out on how to post pics on the forum. For years, here on the forum, I have used Photobucket with great success. But now Photobucket has stolen all my pictures and want an annual fee of $400 to for me to be able to post pictures. I believe they call this "blackmail" in all parts of the world. Needless to say I won't pay them for this dishonest act.

LX Kid

Ensign
"WHAT A NIGHTMARE FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS!" One lousy, stinking, frozen bolt in the bottom of the "Y" tube won't come out. I've cut the head off the allen head bolt, as well as one other of the five bolts, and nothing is letting loose. Tomorrow I'm cutting the outer hull skin, as already discussed, so that I can cut large hole around the gimbal housing and exhaust "Y" tube. Once removed I will be able to flip everything upside down to work on it. Dissimilar metals of the steel bolt and aluminum of the "Y" tube heated by the exhaust have really corroded and frozen them together.

The impossible allen head bolt under Y.

20170819_085926_resized.jpg 20170820_115415_resized-2.jpg

Last edited: