"It Happened!" Transom has to be replaced! (NOW W/PICS)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Isn't resin going to block moisture, somewhat, from attacking the bondo? The boat is always trailered back home after fishing.

​It will somewhat, but the layer needs to be very thick, when it's thick it becomes brittle, so it will crack on its own. And like mentioned, sanding on resin isn't easy.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hey bud,
You?ve gone this far, just grind off the bondo and do it right. Just sayin

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Hey bud,
You’ve gone this far, just grind off the bondo and do it right. Just sayin

Yes I know your right but getting lazy towards the end. Guess I'll borrow my wife's dentures and just "knaw" it off and use the correct materials. LoL

Attachments

• photo279528.jpg
    photo279528.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

LX Kid

Ensign
Bondo removal is a work in progress this morning.
Does every little depression fill with Bondo in it have to be removed?

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello LX.
Well I would say no, getting every tiny bit of bondo is probably not necessary. Now that's a big help eh? .What product are you going to replace the bondo with?

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Hello LX.
Well I would say no, getting every tiny bit of bondo is probably not necessary. Now that's a big help eh? .What product are you going to replace the bondo with?

Going over to Fiberglass Coatings and buy whatever they are suggesting. Me, I don't know!

Attachments

• photo279547.jpg
    photo279547.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279548.jpg
    photo279548.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm not sure what the point of grinding off some of the Bondo would be, if there is going to be some left behind. I would want to get all of the Bondo out of there since it's likely to fail and cause the topcoating to fall off.

zool

Captain
I would use an epoxy fairing compound. You can get a name brand kits like Awlfair or pettit EZ-Fair, or mix yourself with epoxy resin and microballoons or west 410.

LX Kid

Ensign
I would use an epoxy fairing compound. You can get a name brand kits like Awlfair or pettit EZ-Fair, or mix yourself with epoxy resin and microballoons or west 410.

Thanks for the advice but my partner went to Fiberglass Coatings and bought whatever they suggested to him. I don't know what he bought yet.

LX Kid

Ensign
I'm not sure what the point of grinding off some of the Bondo would be, if there is going to be some left behind. I would want to get all of the Bondo out of there since it's likely to fail and cause the topcoating to fall off.

Went back over the transom this afternoon trying to get as much Bondo as possible removed. Especially anything below the water line. Pretty sure it will be fine now.

As a side note, my engine alignment bar came in today. Still have to put the new motor mounts on the engine. Just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. (Maybe it's cause I only work half days! LoL)

chevymaher

Commander
Just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. (Maybe it's cause I only work half days! LoL)
I hear you. I work on the boat a while then a car comes I got to do my real work then back to the boat. Then I got to roll it up and go do what I am supposed to. That is why I don't sleep alot anymore. I got to get up so dang early so I get some boat work in.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That why it`s better to remove the engine , transom and all brackets, screws, ladders, transducers, tie downs hooks, etc. and remove and repair from the inside. cut the inner skin away, remove the rotted wood, cut new plywood and laminate to 2 inches. Use the holes in the glass and threaded rod to draw the sections together .
Reglass and paint. Use existing cutout as a template and resin coat the exposed wood

LX Kid

Ensign
That why it`s better to remove the engine .
Reglass and paint. Use existing cutout as a template and resin coat the exposed wood
We did remove engine and all attaching bits and pieces. After already replacing the transom and going thru the process I would do exactly as we did it. Our only fault was not knowing how to finish off the outer skin with the painting process. But we are novices and have learned a lot from out experience. That being said if I had it all to do over I would have parted the sellable mechanicals and used a sawzall to cut it up and take it to the dump!

LX Kid

Ensign
Sad to say but one of the partners has mental burnout with the project and is no longer involved. He has really worked hard and will not be forgotten when project is finished. So close to finishing but he just didn't want any more of the everyday agony. Bringing boat back to my property to continue on. Gotta find out what partner #2's commitment is as he has not been giving much support for last 6 weeks.

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Well I hope your partner is OK. Sometimes we push to hard and don't realize it's impact until much later. It does seem like you guy's have been burning the candle pretty hard. Maybe now is a good time for you to step back and re-access? Us older guy's need a break to catch up once in a while.
Then maybe I'm reading to much into this?
Jcris

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Beg for them to finish it!

images

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
It's an old boat. Slap it together the best you can and stop taking advise to redo work that you already did like the bondo. A quart of white paint will make it look great. How is that drive comeing along? Before the web I just sistered rotten stringers with pine and thru bolts and covered the mess with auto fiberglass repair kits.
It held up fine for years and since it was a Glasstron I was certain that jumping it like 007 was what you were supposed to do. Keep plugging away young man. You've got the messy hard stuff done.

LX Kid

Ensign
It's an old boat. Slap it together the best you can and stop taking advise to redo work that you already did like the bondo. A quart of white paint will make it look great. How is that drive comeing along?

Now that I'm in the process of moving everything back to my house, things will be moving slow for the next few days. Gotta find place to store all the parts and materials including moving the engine which is on an engine stand. (U-Haul ramp trailer maybe.) Gimbal assembly is finished and haven't had time to replace upper shaft seal on the outdrive and pressure test. Gotta put the finishing touches of smoothing resin on transom and paint. Things are coming along fine just gotta get everything settled back at my house so I can start work again. Trailer has a couple issues that will need sorting out after boat is put back together. (Wifey doesn't know boat is coming back home yet!)

Last edited: