Fibreglassing

Anchoraways

Cadet
So I'm in the process of repairing some holes in my boat, and adding in fibreglass. My question is any tips using the stuff? It's been probably over 15 years sincerely I last used fibreglass and I think I've forgotten a lot. Basically I mix up 4oz of resin and the instructions recommend 48 drops of liquid hardener. Seems a bit much to me as when I do it, the resin mixture starts to harden up in about 5-7 mins, not leaving nearly
Enough time to do the repairs. As soon as it's harderned, I'm basically wasting 60% of the moxtire and a brush. So any tips? Thank you

tpenfield

Staff member
48 drops for 4 oz of resin seems like about double the amount, so double check the instructions. To extend the 'open' time, if you pre-cool the resin down to about 45 degrees F it should give you about 10 more mins. of working time. Once done, you can heat the areas up with a hair dryer, if needed to speed the curing up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You didn't say what type resin you are using. Is it epoxy resin or polyester resin. There is a real difference and depending what you are working on, you could be using the wrong resin for the job. Also what type hull are you repairing?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A-a-y, post up a few pictures of your project so we get a better idea what you are working on and with. That will allow us to offer the better suggestions and ideas. And do you know what type epoxy you are using. And equally so, what type hardener as well. They make hardeners for different type of working times, via, slow, medium and fast, so do you know what you have? JMHO

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It won't allow me to upload pics from my phone

If your picture are more then 700kb in size, they won't upload. So you have to take lower resolution pictures or use some program to down size then to something 7000kb or smaller. But a 700kb picture is a pretty large picture on these forums. I usually post something around 200kb sizes and they fit nicely. JMHO