1987 MirroCraft project - what did I get myself into?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zool

Captain
Just buy the 9.99 purple Hf gun that says 6cfm on the box....it may be a few bux more now,
I have a bunch i bought when they were on sake for 6.99 and just used one recently....i used it with a similar compressor as you have, output wise....worked fine for a hood and bumper and i could have thrown it out but i cleaned it instead.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks zool! I think because they use loctite on the HF guns I'll see if I can get a HD gun.

zool

Captain
Make sure you at least get a water separator for just before the gun, theyre like 4 bux...save alot of headaches

also, clean it before use, all the chinese guns have a silicone like substance for packing/shipping, just run some reducer thru it. and disasemble it if you can.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's the plan, thanks for all the info and helping to steer me in the right direction!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Now you're on the right track, yeah I was referring to that silver HF gun that would need a 2k compressor to run. :lol:

I thought my husky gun was 6@40 but it might be the 4@40, anyway it works awesome once adjusted.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We were able to pick up the Husky gun at HD and the plan is to paint this Saturday. My garage will temporarily be made into a spray booth for this. The plan is to cover everything (walls/ceiling/floor) in drop cloth.
So at this point I'm kind of at a stand still since I don't have any of the electronics, carpeting, etc ordered yet. Well, I do have some polishing I could do but that is getting to be quite monotonous so I'm saving it for another day haha.

Last edited:

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been wrestling with what to do with my portable fuel tank and battery. They create a lot of wasted, unusable space. I was planning to put some decking over the top of them but after thinking about it I realized that's probably not a bright thing to do.
Am I just stuck with the wasted space or is there some creative option I haven't thought of?

Watermann

Yeah portable tanks venting in an enclosed space also containing a battery could be bad news but you can do it with compartment ventilation so the fumes don't just collect.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I thought I read somewhere that it is illegal to even put a portable tank in an enclosed space? Would something like that maybe be different for each state?
I'll see if I can find where I read that.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It's Federal so no, not by state and it's US Coast Gaurd rules etc. They allow some form of enclosure but ventilation is required per their specs. I didn't look too hard at the math but it can be done within their regs.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, I want a nice clean look and I think the only way to do it is to sacrifice the livewell. It would be nice to have one but honestly, we're mostly catch and release anyway so it wouldn't have gotten much use anyway.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well it's been a long, hot and sweaty weekend of painting. Weeks ago I was worried that the temps would be getting too cold to paint but this weekend was actually almost too hot to paint. Outside temps were low 90's so inside the garage was probably a few degrees warmer than that. We left the side door open with a box fan (and filter) blowing outside. I'm really happy with how the paint job turned out considering it was our first time using an HVLP gun. Like was mentioned previously, my compressor was just slightly under powered for the job but we made it work. It ran non-stop and we had another fan blowing on the head to try to keep it as cool as possible. There was just a fine line we had to walk between waiting for it to catch up and waiting too long and ending up with a dry edge to continue from. I'm a little bummed about the blue color - the swatch we chose was several shades darker than how it appears on the boat. All in all though, I'm very pleased with the outcome.
I'll let the pictures do the talking so here they are:

IMG_6040.JPG
The garage has been converted to a paint booth, which literally took hours to accomplish, and the boat is ready for paint!

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG
A few shots of us getting ready. Yes, i was more than a little nervous haha.

IMG_6087.JPG
I was relieved after the first coat of paint was on and it actually looked pretty decent!

IMG_6041.JPG
We took turns spraying - I couldn't hog all the fun parts. Here my son is applying the second coat of blue.

IMG_6065.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG
We let the blue dry overnight and then taped off and sprayed the accent stripe today.

And now for the final outcome............
IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG
Pic of the products we used. We mixed the paint, catalyst and reducer at an 8:1:1 ratio.

I want to say thanks for everyone who has taken the time to follow this project and also thank you to those that have offered advice and guidance. It is much appreciated! I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions coming in the next steps.

Watermann

Hey that's some real nice work, I like the paint scheme too :thumb:

fetch

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys! I found out some things never change though. When it came time to tape off the stripe my son mysteriously disappeared leaving my daughter in law and I to do that part. When he was in school he always hated art class haha.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well we've made no major progress for awhile so not much to post about. I'm still not exactly sure how to deal with the battery and gas tank issue so wanted to post and get any input from the this forum. The picture below kind of shows what I'm thinking, a deck over the top of the 3 batteries and tank. To keep the gas fumes away from the batteries I would put in 2 divider walls and leave the entire front open for the gas tank. Then a couple of hatches for battery access.
My question is, does this design provide enough separation of the batteries and gas tank?

IMG_6109.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.