2 part concrete paint. Any good?

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
Hi y'all. I was wondering if a decent two part concrete paint would hold up to the bottom of a fiberglass boat. I have an older boat that needs a new paint job. I want something that will hold up and not crack on me. I know I'm just being cheap, but being 17 I'm kinda in a budget. So what do you guys think. Good, bad, any troubles? Anything will be helpful. Thanks. Jordan

82rude

Rear Admiral
Where are you located?Ive had good sucess with a paint from color your world called Metal Clad.I will go out to the garage later to make sure of the name but if you have a color your world store near you check it out.

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
Nope no color your world in ohio
Maybe I should clarify. I'm not looking for a paint brand but if the 2 part concrete paint will work and hold up

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...21#post5172021

Used w great success on glass and aluminum boats. The added hardener makes it important to wear all the right PPE when using it. But worth it.... 'Converts' typical oil based enamel (Rustoleum, Rust-Stop, any oil enamel) to a catalyzed paint. Not an equal to a good 2part catalyzed marine paint, but at a significant cost savings.

BUT, unless you step up to very expensive marine specific paint rated for immersion in water, a painted fiberglass boat needs to be a trailer queen. Not moored or slipped for more then a few days.... In and out on a trailer or boat lift every day.

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
Yes. The boat will not be docked up for long. Maybe a day at a time. And the hardener would just be stuff I can pick up at regular paint shop?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
its concrete paint... made to stick to porous rocklike material... and you want to use it on fiberglass which is a slick, nonporous "plastic"

Just no.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tractor supply
HomeDepot carries it here too.

Some paint shops should sell it, call and ask about Enamel Hardener. It's about $12/pint here, but you don't use very much per pot of paint in an HVLP sprayer...

tpenfield

Staff member
Wouldn't concrete paint be really heavy and sink the boat :noidea: :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I don't think the concrete paint would like the flexing of the fiberglass. If it was mine, I'd go with Rustoleum with the added hardener or step up to a true two-part marine paint. I would not bother with any of the other single part parts in-between.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wouldn't concrete paint be really heavy and sink the boat :noidea: :D

Bah-dump-tiss !! :drum:
He'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.
:)

I've used Rustoleum garage floor epoxy (same thing) on a work skiff that stays in the water all the time and gets beat up on a pretty regular basis. The film thickness is nowhere near what a bottom paint like Interprotect builds to, but it seems to work. There's no antifouling because I can pull the boat and powerwash it whenever I need to...which the paint survives just fine. It's been maybe three years since I put it on and, except where it's been damaged (it IS a work skiff after all, lol) it looks fine. I imagine it wouldn't touch up very well, but it's cheap enough I can just slap some more on when needed.

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you everyone for your advice. Im going to see how much it's all going to cost cause some of the good paint still is not cheep. Maybe it would be cheaper in the long run just to get reg marine paint.
Thanks again. Jordan

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Steel, I think you are actually talking about a two part epoxy type paint. It is used on garage floors and shops. So it doesn't have any concrete in it at all, but it is used on such surfaces. I've use that type two part paint on my shop floor. It is hard and really looks great, but over the years, the areas I usually work at have worn off. And the chairs I roll around on seems to wear it off as well. But it has been on the shop floor for decades now. So some wear can be expected. You can get some catalyzed paints to do the same and a lot cheaper as well to use in a boat. JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Fried painted a tinny starcaft with rustoleom and it looked good and was pretty tuff stuff.I see no reason that or tremclad would not work for you.