16 ft Aluminum StarCraft SS Rebuild?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Well I have made more progress but, I had to get a new phone in the process , long story but had to do with fishing all night lol.
But I don't know to make my pics smaller says there too large to upload . I will keep trying to figure out so I can up load some pics.
Bryon

Any store involving fishing and needing a new phone is always a good one :rolleyes:

As for the pictures, you will have to load them onto your computer, open them in paint, then reduce the size. I usually reduce it to 20% of its original. Hope that helps

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Any store involving fishing and needing a new phone is always a good one :rolleyes:

As for the pictures, you will have to load them onto your computer, open them in paint, then reduce the size. I usually reduce it to 20% of its original. Hope that helps

Okay it's been awhile since my last post .
Been working alot so I can't complain .
I got the splash well all sealed in , and I decided to do raptor truck bed liner in the bottom .
I know alot of people don't recommend it , because it's hard to work with later on , I only had a few rivets that we're leaking and had a pin hole in the bottom so I patched that with a pic of aluminum and epoxy.
I read alot of people use gluvit or other types of epoxy , but I guess that would still be hard to work with later on if you had to .
I'm not planning on having to work on it when I finnaly get it done .
The raptor liner comes with a hardner in it and it worked really well .
O and I left my phone on my friends truck one morning after all night cat fishing . I found it 1/4 mile down the road . Lol .
So I had to get a new one .
Thanks for looking
Bryon .

Attachments

• photo278901.jpg
    photo278901.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278902.jpg
    photo278902.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278903.jpg
    photo278903.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278904.jpg
    photo278904.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278905.jpg
    photo278905.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278906.jpg
    photo278906.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2
  • photo278907.png
    photo278907.png
    712 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm sure you know the main reason guys don't recommend bed liner on the AL? It's done so now all I can say is good luck.

What's the brownish material you used to seal the SW?

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure you know the main reason guys don't recommend bed liner on the AL? It's done so now all I can say is good luck.

What's the brownish material you used to seal the SW?

Hi .
No I don't know the main reason why people don't use it ?
The caulking is from my marine store
It's called boat life call.
It can be sanded and painted . Waterproof and can be put on under water also .
Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
This is my opinion on the matter of bed liner on aluminum boats from just what I know of aluminum (AL) in my experience of restoring 3 boats and reading many, many threads here and elsewhere. Others may have differing opinions and observations.

It's all about surface prep when applying anything to aluminum, nothing really wants to stick to it, even the 2 part epoxy like Gluvit or JB weld. The Gluvit adheres well to a clean surface that has been made free of all contaminants and roughed up some with a wire wheel. If anything is applied to aluminum without following the rules then it looses adhesion sooner or later. The Gluvit is only applied to the seams and if you feel the need, rivets 'in the field' between the ribs. When the entire interior hull of the boat is coated with bed liner even if there's proper surface prep there's a huge potential for future issues.

Most times when someone applies bed liner it's because they think it's the easy route to go and take short cuts. If the rubberized bed liner looses adhesion in just one tiny spot, water will get under it, have no way to dry out and become acrid rapidly which begins the process of electrolysis eating away at the the AL creating at best some pitting, at worst holes clear through the hull. I think if the bed liner is applied to a properly prepped surface over SE primer or a factory paint job that's prepped you would have the best adhesion possible for the material but on bare AL it may fail rapidly.

From the Raptor 2 part urethane description... "[FONT=&quot]U-Pol Raptor Bed Liner Kit Black is a 2-component urethane system designed for application directly to most original manufacturers' paint finishes or any self-etching primer surface."[/FONT]

If you followed this and did not apply the liner to bare AL then your chances of success are greater.

Another reason is that removing the bed liner stuff is an absolute nightmare. Ask jbcurt00 about his run in with bed liner in a boat.

ab59

Ensign
I second that opinion on the bed liner. I have been scraping off a combination of rotten carpet backing ( black an gooey just like bed liner ) and Black bed liner on top of that , especially under the windshield . I have spent at least a 4 days scraping what I have off so far . I'm going back with carpet since my 1988 ss was really built as a ski boat but will be for both fishing and skiing after I'm done. It really gets hot ere and I mean 115* in summer so want a cooler surface on the gunnels. I know Waterman painted his and it looks great . In fact both of his Starcraft rebuilds look great. bed liner is a huge pain in the uh whole lower region if you know what I mean.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys for your thoughts .
Not much I can do now ,
I guess I can say that I didn't put it over dirty or greasy AL .
I wire brushed sanded degreased and etched everywhere I used it .
I hope it's enough .
Thanks

SHSU

Thanks guys for your thoughts .
Not much I can do now ,
I guess I can say that I didn't put it over dirty or greasy AL .
I wire brushed sanded degreased and etched everywhere I used it .
I hope it's enough .
Thanks

Sounds like you did more then than the average person that puts it down.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like you did more then than the average person that puts it down.

Well I decided I'm not taking a chance . I'm going to take it off all of the seams with double rivit's tommorow.
Then I got Gluvit to do them .
I'm also going to do it on the outside of the seams to . And I have to replace about 4 rivets and will sell with g flex epoxy .
Im gonna do the out side because this boat was abused by who had it last .
I will paint over it to protect from the U V Ray's .
Bryon

SHSU

Well I decided I'm not taking a chance . I'm going to take it off all of the seams with double rivit's tommorow.
Then I got Gluvit to do them .
I'm also going to do it on the outside of the seams to . And I have to replace about 4 rivets and will sell with g flex epoxy .
Im gonna do the out side because this boat was abused by who had it last .
I will paint over it to protect from the U V Ray's .
Bryon

Not sure if you have painted yet, but may want to look at Fasco epoxy. I now there isn't much out there on it and only a handful have tried it here on Iboats, but from what I have painted with it I have been very impressed. Plan on doing my whole boat with it. IMHO