16 ft Aluminum StarCraft SS Rebuild?

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello
New to the forum.

I am redoing a 16 FT StarCraft SS,
the aluminum rub rail is not really usable and im looking to replace it ,
I have been leaning towards a vinyl replacement as I cant find anything close to the original .
what would be a good vinyl replacement.
Thank You.
Bryon

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well first things first E260. :welcome: to iboats. Great to have you aboard...

I hope you realize rub railing AND the insert rubber materials are very costly. Before discarding your present rub rail, it could be reformed to original condition with some work and polishing. Lots of iboaters have done that on the forums because the cost to replace it is so expensive. So don't throw your rub railing away just yet.

Post a picture or three of your present rub railing for us to see what you presently have. Then we can offer some better ideas and ways you can go to get what you want. Picture always conveys a lot more info then typed words so many times. So post some pictures and let's see what you have and need. JMHO

jbcurt00

Staff member
The aluminum channel of a rubrail is what ties the gunwale to the hull, and the vinyl insert covers some of the fasteners. Not really sure how you plan to replace it w vinyl only.

Not sure if anyone has a replacement aluminum channel source, most rework what they have and replace just the vinyl inserts, a Wefco part is a near exact replacement insert. Watermann knows what profile, I dont recall off hand.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the replies.
Well I don't know how to upload the pics ,
I saw Wefco had the rubber insert so that's good .
The right side of the boat in front was damaged as I can tell when I have it apart now .
The rub rail has been pieced together on that side and I would like it one pic like the left side of the boat .
I'm sure I can reworked it but I don't think it will come out looking like new . If anyone knows where I can get a pic for the right side I would pick that up .
Need help uploading pics please.
Thank you
Bryon

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the replies.
Well I don't know how to upload the pics ,
I saw Wefco had the rubber insert so that's good .
The right side of the boat in front was damaged as I can tell when I have it apart now .
The rub rail has been pieced together on that side and I would like it one pic like the left side of the boat .
I'm sure I can reworked it but I don't think it will come out looking like new . If anyone knows where I can get a pic for the right side I would pick that up .
Need help uploading pics please.
Thank you
Bryon

E260, load your pictures to your computer and size them to something less then 700kb per picture, and then load them here directly . Right now that is the easiest method.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glad you found the insert at Wefco and the profile. Rub rail channel is not so easy to come by and even if you did the section would be 16' long and not easily shipped in one piece.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still can't figure out how to upload my pics.
I have this week off so I plan on getting a lot of rebuilding done . the new transom is ready to be put in . I have to make a new top front PC that goes on the front top of boat . also have a lot of holes to fill . mostly on top of the rails and some on the sides but all above the water line .
Thanks
Bryon

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that you have 3 posts you should be able to add some pics.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I hope this works should be 4 pictures .
Thanks
Bryon

Attachments

• photo269291.jpg
    photo269291.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 4
  • photo269292.jpg
    photo269292.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo269293.jpg
    photo269293.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo269294.jpg
    photo269294.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4

gm280

Supreme Mariner
E260, After seeing your rub rail, I think you can make that look like new with not much effort. I basically had the same type rub rail on my hull and I think mine was even more bent up. But with a little work and polishing, it now looks like new and very shiny as well.

Here are a few pictures of what mine looked like and how it looks now;
Rub Rail (1&2).jpg
Rub Rail (13&14).jpg
Rub Rail (15&16).jpg

So yours can look as good or even better. And that will save you a ton of money as well. The actual insert will still be needed, and that too is costly, but at least your run rail can be saved. JMHO

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gm280
You did a great job on that .
I think I will take the time and get it straight and polish it up.
Sometimes I get discouraged and just dont want to mess with stuff , but after seeing yours I'm looking forward to fixing mine up .
Thank you
Bryon

Watermann

A few dents and tweaks in the RR channel isn't really a big issue unless your planning on a show piece for parades.

Before you start the process of polishing, the RRs are anodized so you'll need to remove that coating first.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm280
You did a great job on that .
I think I will take the time and get it straight and polish it up.
Sometimes I get discouraged and just dont want to mess with stuff , but after seeing yours I'm looking forward to fixing mine up .
Thank you
Bryon

E260, I understand. Some times when you see how things can work out it give you that little extra to try it anyways. If you want to read and see how I did the polishing and repairs, click on my boat links provided below and read. It takes some sanding and then the polishing. But if I can do it, anybody can. Give it a try and post your progress. I can tell you, you will certainly save a ton of money repairing and polishing yours. That stuff isn't cheap. JMHO

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Okay doing some work on the 4th .
Leveled out gun rail now I am going to start on putting in my new bracing for the front end .
I had to lower the gun rail mount to make it level again because the boat was tweaked from someone hitting the front end at one time .
I will post more pics as I go .
Have a great holiday
Bryon

Attachments

• photo269414.jpg
    photo269414.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo269415.jpg
    photo269415.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo269416.jpg
    photo269416.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Done for now . everything is starting to come together . I will try to get the front end all done tomorrow and start putting in the transom .
Bryon

Attachments

• photo269434.jpg
    photo269434.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269435.jpg
    photo269435.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Good progress on the bow section.

Make sure you have the inside transom skin cleaned up before putting the wood back in, all the corrosion needs removed and pitting filled then sanded. I would also recommend priming and painting the inside too.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will do that first thing Waterman .
Thank you .
Bryon

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Well it took a little longer then I thought , but I got all the bow bracing in and a little patch on the bow near the top where it had been wrecked . gonna work on transom tomorrow.
And get rid of the carpet remnents .
Bryon

Attachments

• photo269541.jpg
    photo269541.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269542.jpg
    photo269542.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269543.jpg
    photo269543.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269544.jpg
    photo269544.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269545.jpg
    photo269545.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The transom is in . I will get some pics tomorrow , I have to bolt it in yet and patch a few holes .
Its coming along a littler faster then I thought it would .
Bryon

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The transom is in . I will get some pics tomorrow , I have to bolt it in yet and patch a few holes .
Its coming along a littler faster then I thought it would .
Bryon

Sounds like you've been busy. Of course the rules on these forums are, it didn't happen without pictures. So post up your progress so we can enjoy in them as well. :thumb: