My Ex Husband told me not to drive the boat

Divinelife

Cadet
Le sigh I didnt listen. LOL...Maybe thats why I am divorced?

Ski Boat. Volvo Penta. Live on a tiny lake. I believe I sucked up some sand, because I got too close to shore.
Engine died. Will not restart. Feels like it wont even go back into neutral. Like it is stuck right before it clicks into place.

I have an automatic bilge.....and it was definately purging sand.
One way or the other, I am fixing this boat. What do I need to do?

Any assistance that you could provide would be immensely helpful......... thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is you buries the outdrive in the sand, plugged up the water intake and raw water pump and overheated the motor. not going back into neutral could be the outdrive isnt latched back down because you hit the bottom of the lake with it.

how handy with tools are you? if your not very, suggest taking boat in to have it looked at.

Divinelife

Cadet
Thank you gentlemen. Your analysis sounds accurate. I am pretty handy with tools......what steps do I need to take to fix this?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
To start, a repair manual for your make/year of VP and then pull the drive off.

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you gentlemen. Your analysis sounds accurate. I am pretty handy with tools......what steps do I need to take to fix this?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 1st thing is to tell Us, Exactly which Volvo motor ya got, 'n which drive is hooked up to it,.....

wm_son

Cadet
I'd get me a cuttn torch, 25lb sledge an give the whole rig a workout. Tell ol' boy u dunno wha happend. Have him buy u a new one, brand spanking new.

Divinelife

Cadet
LOL...thank you gentlemen for your humor and information. Here are the specs:

1997 sunbird Corsair 180
18? ski boat
Inboard / Outboard
2007 Engine Block - Engine Volvo Penta 4.3 Liter V6 GLX
190 horsepower
Outdrive Volvo Penta - Alpha 1

waterman.....if i hit the bottom, it was not by force. i was almost idling .....trying to pull up to a dock. more murky sludge than sand.
i am printing out the manual.

scott - your analysis seems accurate

aj - lol....thank you. he is already in my rear view mirror. cheating and betrayal doesnt work for me ;)

wm - I like your style. except I think think his expendable income is now going towards horny goat weed and dating websites. pretty sure he doesn't want to buy his ex-wife a new boat......lol

Here is the crux: The end goal is to sell this last "asset".

So I need to fix this boat before he knows it is no longer in running condition.
1. because I am determined.
2. because if I have to look at his smug, cheating face after he told me "not to use it"......I may have to kill him. LOLOL (i am totally kidding!)

THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER.
What is my first step? Try to unplug the water intact hose?
Second step?

Thanks guys..I appreciate the help!

Watermann

Sure glad you have a sense of humor, I needed a good laugh.

So yeah you'll need to pull the boat out of the water before doing anything else.
I don't have a VP, I'm a Mercruiser guy and now that the thread is moved to the VP section they should be along to offer up some help. At least I hope, it might be a holiday weekend for some.

Divinelife

Cadet
everyone.....thanks for answering my posts. There is no way to get the boat out ....ex has the truck. is there a way I can fix this while she is still in the water?

Watermann

Since you think the shifter may be an issue try putting the shifter handle into throttle only bypass and work it back and forth a few times, it's most likely as issue with the shift cable but if you can do that maybe the shifter has an issue that the ex knew about and that may free something up.

Also what happens when you turn the key? If it's nothing then the shifter could be still in gear or, is there a kill lanyard that isn't hooked up on it's switch on the dash. Looks for a red lanyard that clips on one end and has a fork on the other and make sure it's connected to the switch on the dash or controls, not sure where yours would be located.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
From reading through this, it sounds like you want to fix it up and sell it off...rather than keep it. Here's some things to consider...

1. Do you actually own this boat? Whose name(s) are on the title / registration?
2. Speaking of ownership, is there a trailer? Where is it? Whose name(s) are on that title?
3. Assuming you could go ahead and sell the boat--i.e., without the need for ex-husband's signature, and you have access to the trailer, and I guess a pal with a truck--might it be better to sell it "as-is" instead of putting more time and money in it?
4. If you do need his signature(s), and/or getting the trailer is a hassle, and/or you just don't feel like messing with it, might it be better to leave it as his problem, instead of putting more time and money in it?
5. Are you really, really sure you want to put the time and money into it?

(Note: as to points 1 and 2, just want to be sure you stay on the right side of the law. As to points 3, 4 and 5, it may be that this turns out to be a cheap and easy fix, or could be a major, major issue--are you a gambler?)