is it worth replacing transom

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would uncap the whole boat myself. that would give you room to repair the stringers too since anything butted up to rotten wood will become wet and rotten in very short order

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Crazy D, If I were to do this, I would decap the hull, like Scott suggested above, and do everything with the easiest access you could want. Then when you recap it again, your boat will be better then new and last longer then you will want to use it. And the self satisfaction is unbelievable as well. JMHO

Crazydawgs29@gmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
There's no way I can uncap the entire 24 foot cap I do not have the equipment to lift it off. I'll pull motor and such then remove the rear section of floor and check my stringers. The entire floor feels extremely solid though. Then I plan on cutting the top off right behind cleats to gain access to transom

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There's no way I can uncap the entire 24 foot cap I do not have the equipment to lift it off. I'll pull motor and such then remove the rear section of floor and check my stringers. The entire floor feels extremely solid though. Then I plan on cutting the top off right behind cleats to gain access to transom

do you have a garage. you can uncap it with 8 ratchet straps and hang it from the rafters. total outlay of $15. Been there, done it by myself.