is it worth replacing transom

Crazydawgs29@gmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a 1985 24 foot Thompson with a mercruiser 5.0. Picked it up for $350 well the transom is soft to soft for my liking. The boat is in great shape. Interior is amazing floor is new motor and out drive are flawless. Trailer is a 2000 load rite and it's also in amazing shape as well.

I've never done a transom before but have spent several days researching it and watching videos and it doesn't look to hard. Is it worth putting the money into?

Attachments

• photo268387.jpg
    photo268387.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo268388.jpg
    photo268388.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo268389.jpg
    photo268389.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8

Chaser 32

Seaman Apprentice
If your transom is not solid, I would definately replace it. It maybe a pain, but so is a sunk boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If it runs well and you like the boat then by all means it's worth it. However, You should be aware that most boats of this vintage with a bad transom will also have major issues with the stringers and Bulkheads. You more than likely will be looking at a total rebuild which would costs between 2-4K. and a lot of Hot Itchy man hours.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you've watched some videos and read a few restoration threads here on iboats, you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into. It does cost some money and parts of the job aren't too pleasant (namely, grinding out old fiberglass), but it's also very rewarding and you will gain an intimate knowledge of your boat. Assuming you can complete the work, you also will have a really well-built, like-new (or better than new) boat for a fraction of the cost.

But Woodonglass knows what he's talking about. If your transom is bad, you're likely to find more bad stuff below the deck. Just be ready.

If you decide to proceed with the restoration, there are lots of knowledgeable folks here who can help walk you through the project and encourage you when you need it.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picked it up for $350 well the transom is soft to soft for my liking ... Interior is amazing floor is new motor and out drive are flawless

Reading what you wrote (quoted above) - Why is the floor "new" but the transom rotted? I'm thinking somebody might have installed a new floor to cover up some ugliness below...

Is it worth fixing? Of course, if you like the boat! But it won't be simple - or cheap. But still cheaper than buying a boat that has no rot at all.

Crazydawgs29@gmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
The guy replaced the floor and stringers I pulled the end of floor up and it's all new. I think what happened is he got water in engine compartment and it sat there that's what rotted transom. The old floor was pulled up and 3/4 wood layer back down it wasn't a hack job by any means. It's just the center of transom where the outdrive is that's rotted

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If that is the real story then your transom is and Ideal candidate for an Outside replacement..
This should help you understand the dynamics of doing it this way...
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33734
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16579
The KEY to this method is to leave 3-5" of the old outer skin around the sides and bottom. Transom wood will be installed in multiple pieces. If and when you get ready to do it, let us know and we'll provide more detailed info.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull drive
Pull motor
Pull interior
Start cutting
Start grinding
Then glassing and tabbing
Then reassemble the boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A real story? And I'm not cutting the outside off the boat that's is beyond what I'm capable of
The only other alternative is to cut the deck out and remove the entire top cap or cut the gunwhales about 2 foot forward of the stern. That'll allow you access to the transom from the inside. Doing YOUR boat from the outside IS the easiest method and requires much less labor. 3 day job at the most. From the inside it'll take a week or more and cost significantly more.;)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I did mine from the inside, but it was a total gut and rebuild. 1985 Larson bowrider. Is it worth it? to me it is. I'll never recover the money I spent but I do get the satisfaction of knowing it was built right.

Attachments

• photo268408.jpg
    photo268408.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo268409.jpg
    photo268409.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo268410.jpg
    photo268410.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 8

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My real question is do I have to remove the entire top of boat to replace transom or can I just cut it just below top?
Trying to put a transom in on the inside without cutting the top cap or removing it is an exercise in futility. IF the stringers and motor mounts attach to the transom and I'm betting they do they will also have to be cut back to allow room for the new transom. You'll spend Lots more time, effort and money doing it from the inside and theres' NO NEED since the stringers and MM's are A-OK. Doing it from the outside, In your Case, WOULD be the easiest and best method. But...I AM just and Old Dumb Okie sooooo..Do it whichever way you thinks best.:joyous:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Real nice looking boat. Would certainly be worth it in my opinion to replace the transom. I'm not a fiberglass guy but I'm not seeing what's so different about this rebuild than the countless others we've seen done from the inside. I also would not mess with cutting it from the outside. Remove the motor and everything else in front of the transom, probably a deck section, and start grinding out the rotted wood. I can see how working under that fairly large transom "lip" in the back part of the cap could be a pain and it may actually be helpful to cut the cap off just in the back there just behind the cleats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My recommendations are based on the OP's statement that the stringers and Deck are A-OK. To install from the inside a portion of the Good Deck and Stringers will need to be removed and replaced in order to install the new Transom. Also based on the Splash well as stated above. Not saying it CAN'T be done from the inside., Just that the outside approach would be easier and less intrusive on the structure. Either way WILL get the job done.;):D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My recommendations are based on the OP's statement that the stringers and Deck are A-OK. To install from the inside a portion of the Good Deck and Stringers will need to be removed and replaced in order to install the new Transom. Also based on the Splash well as stated above. Not saying it CAN'T be done from the inside., Just that the outside approach would be easier and less intrusive on the structure. Either way WILL get the job done.;):D

I can see that. I'm guess I'm with the OP though that there's no way I'd want to cut from the outside as I would lack the skill to make that look stock again. I also kinda want the OP to have to tear up at least a little deck so it can be verified that all is indeed solid below as I have my doubts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do, just do it correct and don't short cut anything. You will be well rewards for doing it the proper way after it is all finished. JMHO

Crazydawgs29@gmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
I don't plan on short cutting it. I need it to last and be safe. I'm figuring it will be a great lake Erie fishing boat when I'm done with it