A Hellas "Whaler Montauk" Center Console Clone Restoration in Greece

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Well, after many years of setbacks in paperwork, health and work, we finally happened to get our hands on a pretty nice, clean titled, 5.5 meter boat. Finished the paperwork today and we will pay for it and pick it up tomorrow.

Not sure yet how extensive the restoration will be, but as a minimum it needs wood refinishing/ replacement, extensive gelcoat repair and a trailer rebuild. The transom and stringers seem solid and the boat floor is molded with the cap so it seems to have been a good design to prevent water from reaching the stringers. Only time and some detective work will tell.

I'm curious to hear everyone's input and advice along the road to resto. I'll post pics and keep everyone updated after I pick it up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• photo268188.jpg
    photo268188.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268189.jpg
    photo268189.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268190.jpg
    photo268190.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268191.jpg
    photo268191.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Basically, I'd like for it to end up looking like the one attached below. Definitely thinking of adding the t-top instead of a Bimini.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Rebel01, the only thing stopping you from refurbishing your new-to-you-boat looking like that is YOU! So let's get started. You know on these forums that nothing happens without pictures, and lots of them. We love pictures on project boats. So start you refurbishing and post away. If you have any questions, ask. There are tons of super folks on these forums to assist and answer most any question you could ever want to know. :thumb:

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Well Rebel01, the only thing stopping you from refurbishing your new-to-you-boat looking like that is YOU! So let's get started. You know on these forums that nothing happens without pictures, and lots of them. We love pictures on project boats. So start you refurbishing and post away. If you have any questions, ask. There are tons of super folks on these forums to assist and answer most any question you could ever want to know. :thumb:

gm280,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been trolling the threads and builds on here for years. Always planned to fix up a boat, but life seemed to always get in the way.

Taking the step now, so I'll post away when I get started.

Cheers,
Dan

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

A few snapshots I got earlier today while waiting for the man at the boat yard. Should have at my house today or tomorrow. Getting excited to tear it apart.

I was hoping some of the more experienced gelcoat guys could "chime in" and let me know their opinion on the cracks seen around the boat. I'll post up some pics to give an idea They appear to me like stress or shrinkage cracks. Most are around mounting brackets and appear to only be in the gelcoat.

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• photo268268.jpg
    photo268268.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268270.jpg
    photo268270.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268271.jpg
    photo268271.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268272.jpg
    photo268272.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268274.jpg
    photo268274.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Stripped the boat down yesterday and started evaluating the cracks. It appears that most are stress cracks in the gelcoat with little to no fiberglass damage. The ones that do have fiberglass damage were around the rollbar, as it appears to have been hit at some point. I've already glassed up the repair areas and they are ready for sanding.

Attachments

• photo268647.jpg
    photo268647.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo268648.jpg
    photo268648.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I'm catching up on my posts. These are from a few days ago. And I missed some as my memory card failed for some reason. At least the camera won't read it.

Attachments

• photo268867.jpg
    photo268867.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268868.jpg
    photo268868.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268869.jpg
    photo268869.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268870.jpg
    photo268870.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268871.jpg
    photo268871.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 2

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So, I'm still catching up on the photos. Here are some of the past days work. I got it all cleaned up. Ground out the damaged areas inside the boat and began making the necessary repairs.

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• photo268875.jpg
    photo268875.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268876.jpg
    photo268876.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268877.jpg
    photo268877.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268878.jpg
    photo268878.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 2

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for Outboard Transom Bracket Design Help

Hi All!

I'm rebuilding a 17+ foot Boston Whaler "Clone". It's a Montauk based boat from a Greek company called AHellas. The max rated HP for the boat is 115.

I'm looking for plans, positioning of the bracket and whether or not I need a flotation bracket or a regular bracket. I'm pretty good at welding, so a SS bracket is within my ability - I'm just not sure on the placement part of things.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you used epoxy for the repairs, you will need to paint the boat, not using GelCoat, which is polyester resin based......

In your last post you mentioned the epoxy repairs effecting the paint, but you hoped for expert gelcoat replies?

Might link this topic in your new SS outboard bracket topic..... and link that topic here.....

I only recall 1 successful DIY fabbed bracket posted here. It was aluminum on an aluminum boat. IIRC, it incorporated a floation pod/swim platform and was a welded pod/bracket. But Magnumdeke hasnt been on iboats in quite a while to discuss his plan/build....

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Good catch! As I said in my one of my previous posts, I'm trying to catch up on my posts. I've decided to go with painting the boat, as the damages are TOO much to try and save the gelcoat--none are that bad, but there are so many, it'd take a LONG time to get them all done. It can be done, but I'm working outside and it's "fry an egg on a rock hot" here in Greece at the moment. Being from Mississippi, I can tolerate the heat, but it does make it difficult to work.

Thanks for the info on the transom bracket. I had tried linking my resto (this thread) into my signature, but didn't see the option. I'll try again later. Right now, I'm spending all of my spare time on the boat. I've just completed the stringer repair....phew, I'm sure glad I didn't have to replace the whole thing. Also, the transom doubler was wet at the bottom and starting to become weak, so I replaced it too. I'll post pics when I have time.

Cheers,
​Dan

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
If you used epoxy for the repairs, you will need to paint the boat, not using GelCoat, which is polyester resin based......

In your last post you mentioned the epoxy repairs effecting the paint, but you hoped for expert gelcoat replies?

Might link this topic in your new SS outboard bracket topic..... and link that topic here.....

I only recall 1 successful DIY fabbed bracket posted here. It was aluminum on an aluminum boat. IIRC, it incorporated a floation pod/swim platform and was a welded pod/bracket. But Magnumdeke hasnt been on iboats in quite a while to discuss his plan/build....

You got me thinking and I did some research on epoxy and polyester resins with gelcoat. I found this in case anyone is inclined to read up on it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, I've seen that, and most here arent pros or even experienced DIYrs when it comes to epoxy, gelcoat and polyester work.

BoatworksToday is a good resource for hepful videos, for sure

1 or 2 successful application doesnt change the general rule of dont use gelcoat over epoxy.

I also think he specifies that he uses a specific brand of both epoxy and gelcoat, which IIRC, is formulated specifically to work together.

I stand by my earlier advice, and I wouldnt use gel over epoxy.

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Yep, I've seen that, and most here arent pros or even experienced DIYrs when it comes to epoxy, gelcoat and polyester work.

BoatworksToday is a good resource for hepful videos, for sure

1 or 2 successful application doesnt change the general rule of dont use gelcoat over epoxy.

I also think he specifies that he uses a specific brand of both epoxy and gelcoat, which IIRC, is formulated specifically to work together.

I stand by my earlier advice, and I wouldnt use gel over epoxy.

No worries from me, I've already bought the epoxy based paint. Now, if it would actually cool down just a bit, I might actually get it ready for paint. I think when it comes time to paint, I'll shift schedule and paint at night.

I believe he was using West System and had the best results with certain hardeners not all of them.