Aluminum keel repair

JLHays77

Recruit
i picked this up last weekend and have no info on make/model. All that I know is it was last registered in 1968 according to stickers. Landlord was left with a bunch of stuff including this boat when tenant was evicted. Anyhow, I need some help/thoughts on repairing the keel. It is split down the center. Hull itself is fine. I've been told that a piece of wood was in the center of this keel. Prior to hearing this, I was going to form a piece of sheet aluminum over the keel and rivet it to the sides.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Generally the keel strip on aluminum boats are stamped aluminm channels.

Bondo

Staff member
All that I know is it was last registered in 1968 according to stickers.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... In most States, ya got a piece of scrap aluminum without a legal registration,...

Especially if ya plan to mount a motor on it,....

JLHays77

Recruit
I've got a bill of sale, all that I need according to state fish and boat site for pre-'72 boats. Property owner has court paperwork indicating they own everything left behind by tenant, so they can rightfully sell it to me. Any thoughts on the keel? I understand and agree with what Scott said about the stamped channel but the way this keel looks, either there was a wooden insert or someone tried to doctor it up before.

JLHays77

Recruit
I could not upload a photo earlier. I will try again later. I know it's hard to advise without seeing something.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is someone shoved a piece of wood in there because they were dragging the boat on its keel for years

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Now that you have the boat and it's legit, post up a pic of it and the damaged keep plate. I had a split keel plate on my SeaNymph and repaired it pretty easily back to being 100% dry.

JLHays77

Recruit
No Title

Here's what she looks like.

Attachments

• photo266432.JPG
    photo266432.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266433.JPG
    photo266433.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ok, you have a riveted on keel strip that's good, since it's not something that will cause leaking. Looks like someone did a whole bunch of dragging the boat up onto the shore, probably concrete by the looks of it.

A fairly easy way to repair the damage is to use some channel aluminum that will cap over the worn down keel strip and it can be riveted on using 3/16" dia blind rivets every so often as needed to secure it.

fetch