Can't find the proper size livewell drain tube

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1985 starcraft has a 3/4" ID drain in the livewell. When I bought the boat, the old owner was just using a boat plug for the drain. That is fine and dandy but I'd like to have a 6"-8" tube that fits into the drain itself so when I want to put fresh water in the livewell, the excess will just run down the tube.

I cannot for the life of me find one of those tubes that has a rubber barbed fitting that just pushes in that fits a 3/4" drain. Anyone have any suggestions?

here is what the drain looks like for reference.

attach10401810.jpg

Attachments

• photo265863.jpg
    photo265863.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
thegipper, I had a similar issue when building my live well. But a really goofy idea came to me and I tried it and amazingly it worked. I took a standard threaded black metal pipe. You know the ones you can buy at the box stores like Lowe's and HD. And at first I tried to just thread it into the drain. Of course it only threaded in about one turn if that. SOOooo I took a blow torch and heated the threaded black metal pipe up and then tried to thread it into the drain. WALA like a hot knife through butter. When I remove the pipe after it cooled, I now had a threaded drain to the standard tapered thread. You could them buy some pre-threaded PVC pipe and cut it to any length you like for your stand pipe drain and thread it in. Problem solved. Sounds a lot harder to do then to actually do it. :thumb: JMHO