Possible to modify back for more room?

chris16371

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I found another boat for a decent price but there's not much moving room in it and I'm wondering if the back could be cut some to open it up a bit.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
UHMMMM Yeah!!! IMHO that splashwell could be reduced by 50% and still be safe.

chris16371

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UHMMMM Yeah!!! IMHO that splashwell could be reduced by 50% and still be safe.

Awesome, thanks! Makes it more appealing to me now. What's the purpose of a splashwell? I'm still learning all these boating terms, obviously lol. Would I literally just cut it? I'm sure a closer look is needed before knowing for sure.

For the sake of not having to start a new thread I have a different quick question. The person selling can't seem to find the plate with the hp and weight capacities/limits, I'm wondering if the 30hp Johnson is a good size for this boat? It's a 14' by the way. I know there's a lot that goes into determining that but if one was to take a good guess lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since it's a 14ft boat 40 hp is prolly ok but...I'm kinda of the same mind as ondarvr. Before I bought it and then spent time and money to convert it I'd make darn good and sure You really want it. Modifiying the splashwell CAN be done but it would take some skill and time and money. Lots of boats for sale.

chris16371

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since it's a 14ft boat 40 hp is prolly ok but...I'm kinda of the same mind as ondarvr. Before I bought it and then spent time and money to convert it I'd make darn good and sure You really want it. Modifiying the splashwell CAN be done but it would take some skill and time and money. Lots of boats for sale.

I have been looking quite a bit, you would think being close to lake Erie, Chautauqua, and Kinzua that there would be more reasonably priced boats but not so much. The guy only lives half hour away and is moving soon and had make offer on it and he's had it for sale for awhile so I offered $200 and he said yes so I'm going to look at it today. Has newer transom and needs new floor put down bc underneath was repaired/replaced and already has all material to put floor back in. By floor I mean the part you walk on, sorry for the lack of technical terms. Motor runs and I was offered to be taken out on it to show there's no leaks or issues. Kind of hard to pass up for that price, especially with titles for both boat and trailer.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the motor and trailer are truly in good shape, that's worth $200 right there. My first boat was a $200 waterlogged mess. It took a lot more time and money than I ever expected. Read this forum to get a good idea of what you're getting into. Set your budget and schedule, and then triple it. A rebuild is a big deal. A redesign, even more so. If you decide to go for it, you've come to the right place. Read, read, read, ask questions, and read some more. Keep in mind that large splashwell provides a lot of support as it is. You will need to build sturdy gunwales in its place. You don't want any flexing in your hull.
Best of luck.Safety first!

chris16371

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought it, there's more room in there then it looked in pic. It's pretty solid and he even put it in his pond for me and no leaks. Motor starts and runs but needs a cleaning and a little hard to pull. I read that taking of exhaust plate and there's a hole that gets carbon build up that needs cleaned that will help with how hard it pulls but I'm not sure what exactly is the exhaust plate on it so if anyone can point me in the right direction. Also where should I set the front adjustments when I start?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Adjusting the knobs....if it starts now you already have a starting point, adjust as needed either way to achieve the best performance.

chris16371

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well when trying to remove the cover the knobs were moved around and I didn't write down where they were at like I was going to so now I'm but sure where to start after I have carb done.

Also where is the exhaust plate? I really have no idea what I'm looking for.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
post your motor questions over on the Evinrude/Johnson forum. You'll get tons of help there. I think I still have the old Evinrude manual from back when I had one. I'll check and if so, you can PM me you email and I'll send you a copy.