Fiberglass repair near vertical?

Inshoremac

Cadet
Hello all, i had a question about making near vertical fiberglass repairs. Do i need to thicken the poly resin with cab o sil, or is that not nessasary. Thank you for your help!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Inshoremac, I had lots of vertical fiberglass sections and I never had any problems with the poly mix. The polyester mix isn't as runny as you think and I don't think you will have any problems. JMHO

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I agree with gm ... WIth poly resin you can kind of baby sit it till it starts to tack up ..JUst don't put too much resin on to start if you pile it on it may start dripping some .. I think using epoxy might make verticle lay ups a little difficult because of the longer cure time . aT least that's what I've heard ....

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The fiberglass shop here has some stuff you can add for vertical applications. Dunno what it is, just saw it on the shelf.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you have trouble with poly resin sagging, I think you're using too much.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Work fast... you need a little time left before it starts to harden.

Lay in the cloth/mat to build up as needed. (wet with resin)
Cover with a peel ply (some of this come in the bondo fiberglass kit for car bodywork.. or any decent fiberglass supplier) working from the bottom up, to not have any air bubbles.
Cover that with a board (for flat) or coroplast (for curved) to hold the peel ply firmly in place and give a smooth surface. Leaving some at the top you can pull back a bit.

Pull that top back and drip in about another ounce or two of resin per square foot of patch. This will soak down and push against that peel ply.

Get it right and you have very little sanding to prep for paint/gel-coat.

Because of using the peel-ply, you don't need surfacing wax in the poly resin. This makes the gel-coat/paint and any future repairs stick better.