first boat starcraft vhull

jbcurt00

Staff member
Natebrown
Ask whatever questions you have here or start a new topic about difficulties getting title/registration done in NC.

If you havent got reg/title done yet on this boat, I wouldnt put much time and effort into it until you do.

Last edited:

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I got all the registration for,the boat handled and am moving forward. I may have a buyer for the old v Hull so I can start on the trailer. The rollers are adjustable and I believe I can adjust them to fit my boat which will be great. The trailer is galvanized, well mostly, but for the rusty parts I was considering painting them black with rustoleum rattlecan and leaving the galvanized part be . I would have liked to paint the whole trailer but don't know about adhesion problems to the galvanized. So does seem like,a,good idea to just paint the not galvanized sections

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
Also on the boat has anyone ever done away with the top cap altogether. If so what all should,be involved if its too much trouble in not going to worry about it but on this boat the top cap waste a lot of working space in the boat in my opinion ion

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I bought a 28 hp johnson last night. I'm hoping it will be enough motor,for what I need it for. Not looking for a speed boat but don't want it to take all day to get to my fishing spot. So does anyone have any input on this. Also it has clamps to mount it with but is that enough or do I need to bolt it on

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unless you reinforce the hull sides, w out the funwale, the hull sides are best described as floppy.

28hp on a 16ftr? Even as a tiller only steer, its undersized.... get on plane? IDK, maybe w just you and a light gear load......

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank I'm not going to mess with the cap. And i,had a little worried about the 28 hp not being enough but I should prob see if I can by with it. If not I don't think I can lose money on that motor at 300.00 purchase price and upgrade later when funds are available

jbcurt00

Staff member
70%+/- of max, which is probably 70-90hp, so 50-60hp.....

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks I will keep my eye out for a tiller steer in that hp range and who knows maybe I can stile a deal with the 28 hp

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Ok so I got rid of the other boat on Saturday. And started doing a little to the trailer. Now that boat is off I do believe the rollers,will work for my boat bc of how they adjust what do y'all think

Attachments

• photo266947.png
    photo266947.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Also of,course the transom will need to be replaced so I've been looking at,my options and believe I have a solid plan but wanted to get some opinions from people with more experience than me

In the picture you can see,the top of the transom I believe if I cut that inch or two off the top I can dig the rotten wood out and then drop the new plywood in and seal the top back up.

Attachments

• photo266948.png
    photo266948.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0