1972 Starcraft Islander 21 project.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I see the old white washed original transom, you are going to pull the motor and replace the transom right?

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes next year.... only soft spot is where the fish finder hole was drilled out on the R side..overall transom not too bad considering the age of it.. don't have to pull the motor to get the transom out.? .i can support the engine from above with straps,, unbolt everything from the transom,open the top alum, then pull it out...probably only have the boat in the water once or twice this season.. if at all...will resin the new transom...

Watermann

Yea you could suspend the motor but I would still call that pulling it. You should remove the transom cap and take a look under there at the wood for rot and delamination.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
yes next year.... only soft spot is where the fish finder hole was drilled out on the R side..overall transom not too bad considering the age of it.. don't have to pull the motor to get the transom out.? .i can support the engine from above with straps,, unbolt everything from the transom,open the top alum, then pull it out...probably only have the boat in the water once or twice this season.. if at all...will resin the new transom...

Wouldn't you want to pull the engine completely? If your strapping it to support it, might as well just remove it. Give you more room to make sure everything is properly aligned.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I guess if its hanging in the air,, it really is removed... lol.... and more room to work too... monday morning fog...

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Excellent work so far!

We're in the process of fixing our 18' holiday and had a very similar looking transom to yours.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...oliday-i-o-18-fishing-rebuild-pic-heavy/page3

Coloring was near identical... We thought we could get another season out of it but watermann convinced us to pull it and replace it. We're SUPER glad that we did. You can't see the inside of the wood until you actually remove it from the boat. And the weight difference between our new transom and the old transom is astounding. The old one was completely saturated with water. Weighs triple what a dry piece of wood weighed.

We have 4 stress fractures on our 18' holiday, and it's almost guaranteed that they resulted from a rotted deck and weakened transom.

We also pulled the engine, and are 100% glad we did. You do not want to walk in your boat without a deck on it. Next time you're outside, have someone walk around the inside of the hull. You'll see how much the boat flexes. It's scary. I have probably 30 hours of engine work (a lot of learning and google), and doing it inside the boat would have been impossible. The header alone weighs like 60 lbs.

It's intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of cutting the plywood & epoxying, it will make the rest of the restoration MUCH easier. At this point, we're flying through ours :) Good luck!

-John

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
y4mKMjcoTLjU1Glwi-N5VMdMapjlxX-yuxypskUvUz8cD05fVG9lJXDXiwd5fyqbjnklMR5n3gJgl7zlORBtAA_2pWGEHTsu4nv6hwxiyDuQngMJUZGR0kKmQzcr3wGDDpTMZpztfQdREtR2elTMeqWgYkUN9nXQ5CyQHT_pnnTNiJDHwecJxs6KcpRnq9keskDajQmzneDeN_18EPGuaiB8g
2 of 3 floor panels..and v berth panels,, all epoxy resin coated and the v berth boards painted.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
y4mHaDmVCNnjkC3I38LjD0yrujoozP_0vjt6ksqlkw_W4aCippkJZJj6AwZNlFPHPixk1vxxxE8sIxcNDHM9-5s-BLBCBvUTVn0zc2JXv1YbNhLy3bLjA0yBYxparF4-ZtQPxCyx47Pc6uRt-EUbXO5ZMCT-zQTEMV_NcJ30y8KTTqaD7QS98IRQit2LMa2A_g9rOVCA8HqAV-LUIHduTPtpA
looks like this exhaust shutter is riveted in....try giving it some prying with a screwdriver but it wouldnt budge,, ordered a new one... any ideas how to get this one out....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
slow day today,, got the new mount in and secured.. got the belt changed out,, and did the valve lash adjustment... more to do,, but need to spend some couch time with the wife...

Watermann

y4mHaDmVCNnjkC3I38LjD0yrujoozP_0vjt6ksqlkw_W4aCippkJZJj6AwZNlFPHPixk1vxxxE8sIxcNDHM9-5s-BLBCBvUTVn0zc2JXv1YbNhLy3bLjA0yBYxparF4-ZtQPxCyx47Pc6uRt-EUbXO5ZMCT-zQTEMV_NcJ30y8KTTqaD7QS98IRQit2LMa2A_g9rOVCA8HqAV-LUIHduTPtpA
looks like this exhaust shutter is riveted in....try giving it some prying with a screwdriver but it wouldnt budge,, ordered a new one... any ideas how to get this one out....

Dremel tool with a cut off wheel should nip the heads off those rivets.

SHSU

Dremel tool with a cut off wheel should nip the heads off those rivets.

Just make sure to put a rag or something underneath to catch falling pieces. Could even multitask and have vacuum going to suck up the shavings.

Also, where you screwed the motor supports, did you add any 5200 or something over the holes to seal them back up? Can't tell

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used permatex thread sealer on every bolt that went back into the build. The lower unit is off and the upper drive line is out.. i was just going to flush out the debris with water down the pipe...ive already got an alignment tool to use when i get ready to assemble it back to gether, along with a new gasket set for it...bellows looks good...

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
arg.. putting the carb back on,, and wouldnt ya know,, i never took pics of how all the linkages go back...anyone have pics of how the 120 goes back...just not making any sense to me.. #thirdshiftnosleephalfminded....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
got it all worked out,, triangely shaped mounting bracket bolts to the end of the exhaust manifold plate and holds the barrell adjustor nut in place..mine matches the picture above now and hand throttle functions forward and backwards without binding..
y4mLgcV5qW2qJ4p9M4FbqcqxmT2YlbdITfhNSpW_QvXnpq8go5Nimp0jiiBzcZ4RkHt8MUggdIJenQa7L5YV3E3ITjiupIdHPDgOLGKNwu9GILC6HTvLEAgdh0RH_4_5MF8f2Pa9w3HWf2IXt4xMDdM7K3EzmdbG3yWJSg3YC7uI_n5bRyXeXjO7y69O1KWb-MSPbvFDSr7c1hSz2b9KjIKnA

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
y4m8y0gsH8b4r6ViyjZfnOSPnYdg9M7fQCSLMeo81OXOsq_MQVSblNzGVhrxaiklCRwOnIr20IslKYt-rKihLPyZXRPnjrZnb6SDjEx7MZvxA_oSK4cCvk9CFCztkQkmSaqEzNr_A1_uzOR13qO2hxnV95-DK4_OXh8C3k_9gxYHlP-rSejIVGrV61xiqFdwkOJbkzTfh4ObVCBBQxONc5I9A
Good to go!...getting some sleep,, will fire it up in the am! going to fix the wire in the picture,, goes to a relay or a sensor of some sort,, anyone know what it is...

SHSU

y4m8y0gsH8b4r6ViyjZfnOSPnYdg9M7fQCSLMeo81OXOsq_MQVSblNzGVhrxaiklCRwOnIr20IslKYt-rKihLPyZXRPnjrZnb6SDjEx7MZvxA_oSK4cCvk9CFCztkQkmSaqEzNr_A1_uzOR13qO2hxnV95-DK4_OXh8C3k_9gxYHlP-rSejIVGrV61xiqFdwkOJbkzTfh4ObVCBBQxONc5I9A
Good to go!...getting some sleep,, will fire it up in the am! going to fix the wire in the picture,, goes to a relay or a sensor of some sort,, anyone know what it is...

Looking really Pretty!!!!

Bet you can't wait to hear her purring on the first bump of the starter :popcorn:

Watermann

That wire looks odd to me, like it's an add on for something maybe. That motor has 2 sensors, oil pressure and temp.