1972 Starcraft Islander 21 project.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man you have been busy. I agree that it is always good to barter a skill. I hope the engine turns out for you. Regardless sounds like you found a steal with the stripping of Stainless Steel hardware for $50.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stripped the whole boat for 50 bucks,, i got it all including the stainless hardware...only thing i didnt get was the wind shield...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Good deal on that donor for $50!

Are you going to hot tank the engine?

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im sure the machine shop will take good care of it, Im think when you say tank it,, you mean to clean it up...Hopefully the shop can do some MPI testing,, Really need to know it this block is rebuildable...the crank looks like crap

SHSU

hhmm.. thanks,, first time upload...will fix it...

Works now

:encouragement:

Agree, $50 for all of that is a steal. You could probably part out the parts you don't use to cover the $50.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...Im think when you say tank it,, you mean to clean it up...
Yes, by putting it into a boiling tank of caustic solution. Inexpensive and very effective. Lots of videos online. I had it done to an engine once and it came out "SpicandSpan" clean. About to the point where you could eat off the thing.

SHSU

Yes, by putting it into a boiling tank of caustic solution. Inexpensive and very effective. Lots of videos online. I had it done to an engine once and it came out "SpicandSpan" clean. About to the point where you could eat off the thing.

Mmmmmmmm, I love the taste of acid on my steaks!! LOL

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got alot of iron in the fire right now.. trailer frame to blast and paint, get new tires and bearing for..new longer tongue,, 140 engine to send out to the machine shop and then to rebuild..drives maintainance..120 engine still in the boat..still not sure if it will run...or its internal condition..deck plywood to cut and epoxy and glass..floatation,,..v berth wood to replace..and still have all the regular stuff to do around here..wood for winter,, gardens.. fence repair,, animals...etc etc.. will post things along as i go..need to pick up some extra shifts to pay for the goodies....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 140 donor engine is at the machine shop getting cleaned up and tested for cracks stripped it down and delivered it on a pallet..... I drained the oil out of the 120 that is in the boat looked good no water...and I thought that the mr 43 t ac delco was the right plug,,, but what came out was an ac delco r44xls.. not the same plug,, and tried to get the mr43t in and it wont fit,, there is no way that the mr43t is the correct plug for this engine,, I read also that NGK BR6es would work,,, seems a bit hot,, I have some NGk BR9es.. that look identical to what came out,, Im gonna go with the ngk for now, its what ive got,, hope its a hot enough spark...will consult the manual that i havent read yet....hoping to get the 120 running today,, need to make my decision to rebuild the 140 or keep the 120 for now and upgrade later to the 140.....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
got the 120 prepped to run, new filters, plugs, temporary water line,, got the battery hooked up,, temporary fuel tank...and turn the key and nothing...so I guess ive got some gremlin wiring to go through,,,i see videos of people running and starting the engine on a pallet/engine stand..,, how do they do that,, would be nice to just bypass all the crap old wiring,,..had enough for today..ill mess with the multimeter tomorrow...not a fan of chasing electrical deamons.....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 120 cranks,, but no spark,, anyone using a pertronix conversion kit,,I figure if im spending money why not upgrade...

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well after about 10 trips up and down the ladder getting into and out of the boat turning the water on and off.....first blood goes to the islander...,. i slipped and slid down the ladder.. nice road rash on both legs now...of course i had shorts on... uuuggg.....

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
long day.. finally have spark on all 4...still wont run...cleaned up the points and changed the plug wires and distributor cap..the po used a cap with alum terminals,, so the plug wires were coroded and broke off at the housing..changed those out and i have spark,. plugs smell fuely and there is wet in the carb.. so i guess next i check compression,, should at least cough...or sputter.. but nothing..

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so I guess I need a blue spark, I have a white spark,.. so im going to change the points...and put on a new distributor cap,,