1972 Starcraft Islander 21 project.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a good deal on this Islander, 500 bucks... Got it home 85 miles without issue, Trailer will need alot of work to get it where I want it. Sandblasting,, and some plates added to and paint,, I think I would like to make it into a bunk trailer. The Islander has been sitting for about 7 years, and the engine does turn, and is not frozen..but will need work. Rats nest of wires and such..around the transom and engine. The boat has good bones and no loose rivets, some minor scrapes on the hull bottom but not a big deal. All the wood needs gutting,needs paint,new gages, and Im sure the transom needs replacing,, Ive got alot to do and learn !

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Sounds like you have a nice project. What kind of engine is on that thing? Make sure to post lots of pics!!!!!!!

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its the 2.5L 4 cyl 120 hp,, still in the process of getting rid of all the paper wasps! Never seen so many nests in different locations!! Thought for sure i would be rid of them on the 85 mile trip bringing it home. I will get some pics posted soon, I gave it a good pressure wash yesterday and that got rid of some of the oxidation on the paint. Now I can see the nice blue under all that chalky mess,, I may not even need to paint it. Im gonna hit a small area with some cutting compound and a buffer to see what I can get out of it..I stripped all the cushions and the removed the seats today, and found more nests in the cabin area..I found the toilet, mouse nest in the bowl.. lol.. the boat was a home for all sorts of critters,, hate to think whats lurking under the flooring...

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Beautiful day here in Maine,, got the garden tilled,,and have a bbq to go to this afternoon,, so no time to work on the islander today.. Think before I get too far into it, I want to see if I can get the engine running,, going to drop the oil in the engine, with a siphon pump down the oil fill? or should I just drain the oil pan and let it drain out the back with a catch basin,,got some new plugs, and will need to clean the carb,,replace the oil, got a new belt also..that should do it,, I think,, Got a new battery for my Kayak fishing rig,, so no worries about power,, have a temp gas tank, god knows what the gas is like in the boat tank..anything Im forgetting??..Gages on the console are all no good im sure...some are stuck at different setting..

SHSU

Beautiful day here in Maine,, got the garden tilled,,and have a bbq to go to this afternoon,, so no time to work on the islander today.. Think before I get too far into it, I want to see if I can get the engine running,, going to drop the oil in the engine, with a siphon pump down the oil fill? or should I just drain the oil pan and let it drain out the back with a catch basin,,got some new plugs, and will need to clean the carb,,replace the oil, got a new belt also..that should do it,, I think,, Got a new battery for my Kayak fishing rig,, so no worries about power,, have a temp gas tank, god knows what the gas is like in the boat tank..anything Im forgetting??..Gages on the console are all no good im sure...some are stuck at different setting..

Sounds like you got the engine covered, I would pop the impeller just to make sure before running it as you would replace it anyways in your rebuild.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered up an impeller kit, and got another trailer in great shape for 200 bucks....

SHSU

Great to hear. Now we need to see some pics so we know what we are working with!!!! We love pics!!!!!! ;)

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My internet here sucks,, so Im having a real hard time to post pics,, takes forever, if at all....dont have that kind of time.. guess Ill need to post when im in town...

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Making good progress today,, got the v berth power washed. going to pull up the floor and get rid of the carpet..saving it for a template, and the wood as a template..going to be alot of rivet heads drilled....today..thinking of pulling the inwales off too...
Im taking pictures as I go..but will have to upload later,, takes too long bad internet..

SHSU

Making good progress today,, got the v berth power washed. going to pull up the floor and get rid of the carpet..saving it for a template, and the wood as a template..going to be alot of rivet heads drilled....today..thinking of pulling the inwales off too...
Im taking pictures as I go..but will have to upload later,, takes too long bad internet..

Have you decided what kind of rivets you will be replacing with? How many are we talking about? Can you rebuck the rivet?

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These are just internal rivets, not on the outer hull...in the forward berth,,etc rivets holding the plywood on..downloading a photo resizer,, photobucket link isnt working the way i want, need to go back and look at the upload tutorial again...

Pusher

Lieutenant
Mine's called "photo and picture resizer".

I just open the app and click
"select photos"
Click the crop icon and select the entire photo
Click save
Go to iboats and select for upload

You have to go on a desktop afterward and EDIT your post to select fullsize. For some reason you can't do that step on an android.

Getoffmybass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The tongue on this trailer can extend out another two feet..so that will get me the length that i need,, I may need to set the axle forward to get the tongue wt right,..This trailer was made to be versatile has holes in it to move the axle forward or back..