Minnkota PowerDrive V2 & a Minnkota MKA-16-03 Quick Release on a 04 Bayliner 195 BR.

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
Minnkota PowerDrive V2 & a Minnkota MKA-16-03 Quick Release on a 04 Bayliner 195 BR.

Starting a new thread to document my project.

roffey

Commander
Take lots of pictures, I'm thinking of doing the same for my boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Captain Thad, we absolutely love pictures on these forums. Post away and allow us to see what you are doing. I'm watching. :)

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Okay
Here we go!

The boat
The motor and mount.

Attachments

• photo263894.jpg
    photo263894.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo263895.jpg
    photo263895.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
BlueNote2
It appears that the front of the mount (closest to waters edge will be bout 8 or 9 inches off CENTERLINE. I know you want it as close to CENTERLINE as possible. But... thats what I got.

This sound bout right to you? from your pics it looks CLOSE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here I am mounting the motor MinnKota PowerDrive V2 to the top plate of the MinnKota MKA-16-03 Quick Release Bracket.
Removed the sides 2 Phillips heads. then bolted with 1/4-20 7/8" bolts 2 on each side.

Attachments

• photo263899.jpg
    photo263899.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 5
  • photo263900.jpg
    photo263900.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 5

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Couple of shots of the boat mounting site. the 6 foot level represents where I want to lay the PowerDrive V2 Motor.

Attachments

• photo263901.jpg
    photo263901.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo263902.jpg
    photo263902.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 3

BlueNote2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
BlueNote2
It appears that the front of the mount (closest to waters edge will be bout 8 or 9 inches off CENTERLINE. I know you want it as close to CENTERLINE as possible. But... thats what I got.

This sound bout right to you? from your pics it looks CLOSE.

@CaptainThad

Looking good... Your going to have to set it up the way you want to fish it.

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah I just measured. Looks more like it might be bout 11" off center...that's just the way it's going to b.

I have it marked, looks like all my holes will be on that lower level (the navigation light being on the upper level).

I will use a baby bit and only drill one of the holes to make sure it's good.
I will drill the front hole (waters edge) nearest centerline first.

I did deploy the motor to ensure clearance.
Going to bed now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course the ideal place to mount any trolling motor is so that when it is deployed, it is perfectly centered to the bow point. And that reason is so the trolling motor steers the same to the right and left. I've seen them mounted off centered from both sides and the owners don't seem to mind...I guess. But there are ways around any obstruction to allow it in the center.

However, with that stated, this is your boat and you need to be satisfied with it and no one else. JMHO

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Okay
I started.... I drilled the waters edge hole frurthest from the centerline...I put a bolt in and snugged it up to see where I sit.

The front needs to b raised 1-1/2" to get it level. If I drill the back hole put it in...then loosen the front that will bring it to level...anyone have any other idea?
I think I should shave the front spacer at an angle.

Attachments

• photo264191.JPG
    photo264191.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo264192.JPG
    photo264192.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 4

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
BlueNote2

After looking @ yours up close. I see space on the waters edge side between your spacer and the mount. I'm wondering if I really need to angle it or I should just leave it. So what there's a space. It's only the aesthetics. Just need to be careful tighteneing them down. Can't tighten the front then back ...it will tear right thru.

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Okay both watersedge bolts are in. It's level both ways!

Attachments

• photo264283.JPG
    photo264283.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 3

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Yo Adrian.........I DID IT!!!!!

Attachments

• photo264285.JPG
    photo264285.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo264286.JPG
    photo264286.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If that setup works for you, great. But I would most certainly watch for it to rack over time or even break through the fiberglass when the long tubes are. You will surely hit things using the trolling motor and that will transmit the force to the mounting tubes. Watch for it.

Not that you have it mounted, you could even make a template of the area with some cardboard and build a solid fiberglass adapter to replace the bolt towers. Just a thought. JMHO

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
gm280
Okay.. I did not show it but I have a 8x10 1/2 inch thick piece of ply-wood under the fiberglass with 1-1/2 inch fender washers under it.
Is this along the lines of your thinking?

Captain Thad.

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here's a pic of what's underneath!

Attachments

• photo264372.JPG
    photo264372.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 2

briangcc

Commander
I think he's referring top side. Those spacers are basically "floating" in space if you will. Any shock is going to be transmitted from your baseplate, to those spacers, and then down. Over time, it's going to "wallow" the holes in the hull and the backing plate and could eventually rack everything.

To prevent that from happening you could fab up a top "cap" that would house those spacers and provide a more solid mount for everything to attach to. Once you do that you will need to replace your bow navigation light as it will be blocked by your mount.

Think of it this way...what is more secure? Attaching those bolts to a 3/4" piece of ply and using spacers OR running those bolts through a solid 4x4 post? Going to take a lot more to wallow out the solid mount.

But as mentioned previously it's your decision as its your boat.

Captain Thad

Seaman Apprentice
Briangcc

I see what you are saying. so how bout just adding piece off 1/2" plastic (nylon) plate under the spacers. Essentially making a sandwich.... starting at the bottom you have the plywood then the fiberglass hull then the plastic/nylon plate then the spacers then the MinnKota bracket.