1980 Crosby Sled

TylerSchon

Cadet
I purchased a 15ft 1980 Crosby Sled today looking to convert it into a fishing boat. It has some small holes that need to be patched on the inside that's no big deal. I am wanting to know if any one knows the specs for this boat and what to all use to convert it into a bass fishing boat. There are two big holes on each side of the boat and I don't know what they are for or if I should patch them. Thanks!

Preview attachment image1.JPG

image1.JPG
1.9 MB

Last edited:

TylerSchon

Cadet
The photo above the picture of the whole boat was a livewell but the previous owner took it out. I would like to put one back in but I don't know how. If someone could explain it to me that would be awesome! Also if someone can give me some info about the boat that would be awesome too. I couldn't find much on the internet.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Although they may appear on your screen, none of your pix are showing up anywhere else. Because your browser has them cached is why they appear on your end.

Follow the tutorial I posted a link to,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you're using Photobucket just click on the photo you want to post. It will open and on the right will be codes. Click the IMG Code and it will say Copied. Return to iBoats and right click in your post and then click paste. The code will appear and when you save it the pic will appear.

Are you trying to post from your PC??

briangcc

Commander
Something to reference....

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...n-building-and-hull-repair/247928-crosby-sled

Looks like a neat boat. Comparing the two, it appears a bench and console have been removed from yours? If so it looks rather straight forward to add it back. That and a missing hatch in the front? A piano hinge and some starboard or plywood (properly encapsulated to protect it from the elements) could be used to reproduce it.

TylerSchon

Cadet
Something to reference....

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...n-building-and-hull-repair/247928-crosby-sled

Looks like a neat boat. Comparing the two, it appears a bench and console have been removed from yours? If so it looks rather straight forward to add it back. That and a missing hatch in the front? A piano hinge and some starboard or plywood (properly encapsulated to protect it from the elements) could be used to reproduce it.

I am doing this restoration with my father. How hard would it be to put a counsole back in and run all the wiring? What motor do you think would be good on this boat? Could we just put a tiller on it?

briangcc

Commander
Console - Look at Archbuilder's thread on Project Fuggly as he did some amazing work with glass. Yes its over the top and probably overkill for your project but it does show how you would go about creating your own parts starting with a mold. You could build the console out of exterior grade plywood and either encapsulate it with glass OR use WOG's old timers formula to seal it. It may be much heavier doing it this way but it is technically possible.

As for the wiring - I find wiring very easy to do so it'd be a non-issue. Others may find wiring daunting but if you plan it out and run a wire at a time, and keep them organized YOU CAN DO IT! Think of it as working on a single wire at a time instead of wiring an entire boat. IF I was approaching it I'd probably start with the simplest circuit - the horn. Get a fuse block or circuit breaker, a momentary on/off switch, horn, and wiring. Once you have that tackled, move onto the navigation lights. Then keep going from there. You could skip running the pitot tubing for the speedo, and skip the speedo pickup on the transom, if you use a newer fish finder with GPS built in - they have built in speedos on the fish finder.

Tiller - sure why not? Looks like you have the structure for seat bases currently, just missing the tops. Easy enough to replace with some ply and a seat cushion. Make it as elaborate or simple as you want.

Motor - seems the one I linked to was maxed at 40HP. Not so sure I'd want to try to man handle that as a tiller. Before you use the 40HP as the golden standard I'd see if there was a capacity plate on your boat as that may dictate a lower engine. We had a 30HP BigTwin Evinrude (with burnt cylinder and crappy tuning) on our little MFG in my sig growing up. Wouldn't break any speed records but it would get the boat up on plane and moving decently. I personally like Honda - whisper quiet, well built,4 stroke, BUT they're heavier than snot and your boat probably isn't setup for a 4 stroke. Others here can help you with Mercurcy, Evinrude, Johnson, etc but stick with something that has parts available.

YouTube has videos on these as well with different configurations so hop over there and do some searches to get additional inspiration.

Q: How's the structure on the boat? Transom? I noticed one compartment had what appeared to be spray foam in it which may or may not be a previous owner's attempt to seal a leak.

Again, nice project. Post some pics of progress as you dig into it.

Last edited:

TylerSchon

Cadet
Console - Look at Archbuilder's thread on Project Fuggly as he did some amazing work with glass. Yes its over the top and probably overkill for your project but it does show how you would go about creating your own parts starting with a mold. You could build the console out of exterior grade plywood and either encapsulate it with glass OR use WOG's old timers formula to seal it. It may be much heavier doing it this way but it is technically possible.

As for the wiring - I find wiring very easy to do so it'd be a non-issue. Others may find wiring daunting but if you plan it out and run a wire at a time, and keep them organized YOU CAN DO IT! Think of it as working on a single wire at a time instead of wiring an entire boat. IF I was approaching it I'd probably start with the simplest circuit - the horn. Get a fuse block or circuit breaker, a momentary on/off switch, horn, and wiring. Once you have that tackled, move onto the navigation lights. Then keep going from there. You could skip running the pitot tubing for the speedo, and skip the speedo pickup on the transom, if you use a newer fish finder with GPS built in - they have built in speedos on the fish finder.

Tiller - sure why not? Looks like you have the structure for seat bases currently, just missing the tops. Easy enough to replace with some ply and a seat cushion. Make it as elaborate or simple as you want.

YouTube has videos on these as well with different configurations so hop over there and do some searches to get additional inspiration.

Q: How's the structure on the boat? Transom? I noticed one compartment had what appeared to be spray foam in it which may or may not be a previous owner's attempt to seal a leak.

Again, nice project. Post some pics of progress as you dig into it.

The transom and structure are good. There were two small holes were there was a livewell that I patched and there are a couple little holes under the boat that I will need to patch.