Best material for boat cover

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for the best material to make my boat cover out of. My 21 year old boat cover is due for replacement. 20 foot boat lives outside covers on most of its life. I leave it off when the boats in regular use in the summer and fall but i put it back on often if im not using it more than three times a week. I bought the boat 6 months old and have no idea what its actually made of its held up very well given the amount of snow, rain, and the heat our summers make. I also did a very hefty interior rebuild a few years ago and the mechanical functions of this boat is great, make me hope this boat lives another 21 years so i want the longest lasting material I can get. Its also welded aluminum meaning I dont have a lot of aging boat concerns. Cost is not really a concern if theres a material that will perform and hold up the best is really my main concern. And the second question I have is color choice. Will dark or light. My interior is now a speckled grey from a deep blue. Will a dark or light color be better. Wonder if a dark color would heat up under the cover and encourage moisture to leave or would the exact opposite happen and create a higher moisture content. A darker color might look better as it ages and not show staining from leaves and debris that bake into it over time? If it matter Grey would be my first choice.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I also agree that Sunbrella IS the best however....A GOOD alternative that's much easier on the wallet is 1000D Cordura. Comes in all the colors and usually can be purchased from $5 to $8 a yard + shipping. Sunbrella is usually Double that. I've used the Cordura for awning material and Bimini's and Boat covers with Great results. Again SB IS the Leader in the Field but Cordura does a good job too. Just throwing it out there for your consideration.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sunbrella is an acrylic fabric. 1000D Cordura is a nylon product. Nylon is the last fabric you want sitting in the sun.

A new material that is out that is comparable to Sunbrella and it is also an acrylic is Tempotest.

Docril is another choice.

Both of these alternatives are acrylic.

http://www.tempotestusa.com/

Last edited:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Properly cared for, a Sunbrella cover will last indefinitely. Dark colors will generate more heat underneath than light colors but show fewer stains. Without a means for the hot air to vent, you will develop mildew. Use 303 to water proof.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Cordura has excellent UV resistance. It's not like normal Nylon products. As I stated It's NOT Sunbrella but it does a good job. My awning has been exposed to the Extreme Oklahoma weather, You name it We've got it and it's still repelling water and it HAS faded a bit but not to such an extreme that it's not presentable. I got 15 yds delivered to my house for $110 bucks. The same yardage in sunbrella was $215 delivered. For me...the price difference was worth it. And so far...it's performing as good as I could hope for. I'll continue to use it and recommend it as a good alternative fabric.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wont tell you which one is the best.... What I can say is that I made my cover from 1000D Cordura. I made it during the Christmas break last year. So far its been in the Kansas weather, rain, sleet, shine and snow. No ill effects. I picked it for the abrasion resistance, uv qualities and price. For me, it met the requirements I was after...

I guess time will tell if Bruceb58 is correct in his matter of fact statement. Being a betting man, Ill wager that I can make another when the time comes, for the same cost, to make the 1st one from sunbrella.

Just my humble opinion...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Sunbrella cover on my boat is now 15 years old. This is in the Southern California sun! The price of the material is insignificant compared to the amount of labor that is put into making the cover.

Seriously...the difference between spending $215 for Sunbrella vs $110 for something like Cordura is no brainer for the little difference in price to buy the Sunbrella.

Corjen1 Hopefully, you didn't use the coated Cordura. Of all the available materials out there, what made you select Cordura? I know of no commercial custom boat cover company that uses that fabric.

The OP asked what the best fabric was and cost was not a major concern.

Another important aspect of making a cover is the thread. All my future projects are using SolarFix thread instead of polyester. The Sunbrella will actually outlast the polyester thread so it's important to go with a longer lasting thread. SolarFix is also not cheap but it is worth the money.

Last edited: