Looking for sources of marine foam and marine grade vinyl online or in DFW, Texas?

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recovering a bench,1992 Galaxie, I had to rebuld. No plans on sewing, just trying to make it comfortable and look decent. Emphasis on comfort over appearance. Very novice at uphostry. Any existing threads or sites are appreciated. Also so trying to do it inexpensive as possible but want good serivicability.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here is the bench seat that I built and coveretemporarily with carpet at the end of last season. As you can see I made a small scale model while trying to figure out how to build the real one. I covered it just to see what it would look like. The scale model is not accurate but I think I can repoduce it on the big seat. I know its not pretty but I really am not that concerned with appearance. Just want it to be comfortable.

I know it pretty red neck but I just dont have the money to go have a cover made and I priced a couple shops and they want anywhere from 800 to 1000 to upolster it. I dont think I'll keeo the boat long and I dont have that much invested in it to begin with.

Attachments

• photo263583.jpg
    photo263583.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263584.jpg
    photo263584.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've purchased LOTS of vinyl from this vendor...http://stores.ebay.com/Trimjobber-C...899920015&_sid=12796515&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
Pretty good stuff and Great Pricing. He also sell foam. I'd guesstimate you'll need 3 yds of vinyl 30 sq ft of 2-3" foam. If you don't sew it...It's gunna be tough to make it look good and make is last for any length of time. You can do the sewing with a Home Sewing machine and you can get em on Craigslist for less than $50 bucks. It's really not all that hard to do the sewing, and it will turn out a LOT better. Something to think about.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks, I was wondering about the thickness. I was thinking at least 3".

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bruceb58, You really have me thinking about having the cover sewn. Although I come from a long line of red necks I guess I dont have to perpetuate it. :)

I dont have time to learn myself as I'm trying to prpare the boat for a gradution party in a few weeks but I could pay someone to have it sewn, I'll search the forum for answers to this question however; do you know of a post or thread that can teach me how to make a pattern for my uposltery? I can buy it cheap on line. My original cover floated off with my original bench seat when we had lake flooding so I had to rebuild from scratch. Did the best I could with my ability. I'm thinking I could build a paper pattern and then take the pattern to a local canvas shop and have them. Sew it for me.

I dont know what I dont know about proper way to pattern a cover but willing to try. I can do all the foam workmyself. Any insight is appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you have it done by an upholsterer you WON'T like the price. After the foam is in place on the bench and shaped the way you want it I'd recommend Using Heavy Weight paper and trace the outline onto the paper. This video kinda shows the procedure...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPzBuVGHnUY YOu can use an electric carving knife to cut the foam.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes the upholsterer wanted to charge $900-$1000. I only paid 3500 for the boat and trailer...! I'll check it out. Thanks for the help.