BOAT REFURBISH 1980 lund 15 40 HP evinrude

I'm Back! after opener and never getting around to fixing my boat, i've got fishing out of the way and am ready to start! 1980's Lund 15 40HP evinrude 2stroke hey guys writing a new post, i'm free from the abductor sling, all i can say is NEVER EVER EVER get shoulder surgery before fishing opener! i have completely gutted my lund to the ribs and rebuilding from the floor up could use some ideas on carpentry, carpeting/interior gas tanks and batteries weight displacements, trolling motors down riggers, planner boards dipsy divers, and on and on and on and on and on $$ allowing so far my foam is waterlogged and removed(except 2 squares by transom) I've decided to replace with GREAT STUFF (menards) will this work??? otherwise maybe pink foam 2" layerd 1.5" [any other thoughts for materials please recommend ] is it possible to slide my plywood (marine or ac bc (sanded)--X rated still undecided probably marine$$$$) under my console -- storage, and driver bench-- ? 2 squares in back either side of plug water well. across ribs and into place? or do i need to cut wood into fitting pieces and slide into form. { Pike 15 picture of shaggy lad 35 hp evinrude http://www.lundboats.com/wp-content/...alogs/1981.pdf ** ideas for interior ? roll out cork, cork tiles -out door heavy duty Vinyl (was originally in boat, always dried out fast from swimming, rain the day before, non slip--)) -OutDoors carpet (menards -- Stormy -- color){any other colors recommended?** i think i am just covering the flooring not messing with the driver chair front bench lid to my storage and either side of the rear of the boat plywood covering flotation foam. yes/no need a ladies(plural ) friendly boat. i want this 14 gallon tank, but it is 2cycle powered, so maybe my 5 gallon steel boat tank with 5 reserve mixed gas in a plastic sealed tank left out is best? thoughts ideas?? my plans for mixing 2cycle gas is always having 6 gallons in the boat, then at the pump just fill the rest needed to appropriately mix with ounces nessesary for oil mix, some rich mixing i dont mind just change the plugs often not sure if i can make the appropriate fittings or additions to run an outboard from this tank, but if i do, can i place tank near bow? can i run fuel line to motor under plywood along keel((Bilge)) or is it better along the gunnel i kind of have the same question with my fish finder, electrical, steering wheel controls and cable, shift and accelerate cable can these be run through the bilge? or is it best left from the console along the gunnel to the transom my battery?? may need an additional battery if i mount a trolling motor can it be wired anywhere in the boat, mainly to displace my weight on the right driving, and operating and my 100 lb GSD who roams or finds a comfortable seat head hanging over gunnel at full throttle recommended placements? can i cut a hole in the floor and foam and seat it in snug somewhere? or best on top of plywood strapped down? small boat i need intuitive minds, think outside the box this is my fishing machine, and time away from the lady. unless i find a fishing broad. because the one i have always says i cant go fishing and i end up happy and fishing:) is a bow mount trolling motor or transom mount better?? i'm thinking bluebird day lake superior fishing, but mainly lakes no bigger than vermilion, kabetogema/rainy, whiteface - island - and boulder - reservoir lakes(duluth) thoughts and ideas for plywood in the front(right on top-- the existing bench mounts-- lower?? floor up?), can this be screwed into my gunnels or is there a recommended carpentry build (my boat is stripped down to the ribs no foam, just a dream growing ) i'd like something raised for a chair in the front just so i can anchor and sit elsewhere besides behind the steering wheel, but fear making something too tippy because of my 100 pound dog when cruising to fishing spots he likes to shift his weight across the front of the boat. seats - of course i can have one behind the steering wheel, maybe one in front if i do a casting deck or something raised, can always leave level and have a seat, can i build a bench 2-3 seats in back?? good or baD? or is it too much weight in the rear? electronics, i have a basic lorance fish finder 550, nav lights bow and stern, bilge pump that i burnt out leaving it on ): i beached my boat on a day the wind shifted and the back had waves come over and fill to the top. right now my lighting seems dim, so i have a bad ground or short somewhere along the way, but othertimes its 100% shining. i want to add a trolling motor, any tips ideas?? what to route to what battery i may switch to a 25HP honda for gas use, and 25hp dnr limit lakes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$ i have a 40hp evinrude 2 stroke 1980s (84 or 92?? i dont know) my transom is bending back out away from the stern i dropped my boat taking a corner to the lake my strap came undone across the back tips for straightening ? re screwing making it ship shape again without removing motor?? i might turn my safty loop around and try and cum- along- crank it straight from the stern to the inside of the bow? good idea bad idea?? it needs to go from \\ bent out from stern to | | correct positioning is this is issue that may be left alone?? im not really too worried about having a 100% leak free boat, loose rivet or 2 bad seam stretch, dent on bottom leaky plug (thoughts ideas) i cant think of anything else but step by step this will be continued to the foreseen end (before opener, maybe june....) and what ever comes up along the way. thanks for reading, post your wisdom !! and don't forget to slay em

Attachments

• photo263500.jpg
    photo263500.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
No to great stuff

Try to ask questions and make info/help requests here in your topic about your project Lund instead of in other members topics.

Remember Iboats is an online retailer and dont post links to other vendors. Thanks

Iboats sells gas tanks
http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Tanks-Per...view_id.238164

Right,,, was using it as an example, local store had on sale, could post picture of-- or name of brand instead. FLo /N/ Go. but why not great stuff? should i use pink foam instead? the old stuff is completely water logged, 30lbs or more a section. i would go completely without foam and not worry about stormy weather, just ride it out and bail with a bucket if necessary, in my worst cases, its only really bad, when your gas tank is floating behind your boat in stormy seas.

my concerns had been that i run a 2 cycle drive, and wasn't sure if i could properly mix fuel adequately to a 42-1 50-1 ratio in a 14 gallon tank placed in my boat, vs shaking adding and filling a 6 gallon plastic tank into my boat, risking gasfumes and spills

its to my knowledge that greatstuff cures as a closed cell composite. is weather and water resistant- is there a product you'd reccomend, im not looking for optimal flotation performance, just enough, its a small craft. but i am curious about removing what foam there is in the stern on either side and using space as storage.(life jackets, accessories, etc)

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
WHEW..reading this post gave me a headache!! If I'm correct you have a 1980's Lund 15' Pike boat with a 40hp Evinrude. You want to do a quick refurbish to get back out on the water. #1 Take the motor off and inspect your transom wood..most likely needs to be replaced (30+ years old). Dig out ALL the foam. Take to Carwash that has washing wands and power wash the whole interior. Do a leak test. Then sit back and figuire out what you want to do with the boat. Replace all the wiring for the lights and livewell pump. I would not attempt a conversion to a tiller(waste of time) keep your setup install pedestal seats behind you and towards the bow. Get rid of the metal fuel tank, get a plastic 6 gal and a 3 gal.(DO NOT run fuel lines under the floor) Those 40hp rudes of that era were not huge Gas Hogs. I would install a bow mount trolling motor. Get a piece of 1/4" aluminum and cut a new bow cap big enough to bolt the motor mounting plate down. You can mount the battery at the bow. For flooring use 1/2" exterior plywood ACX or BCX grade, seal both top and bottom and sides with a spar varnish. Marine carpeting can be had from many sources. POST MORE PICTURES ..front/sides/top/rear!!!!

WHEW..reading this post gave me a headache!! If I'm correct you have a 1980's Lund 15' Pike boat with a 40hp Evinrude. You want to do a quick refurbish to get back out on the water. #1 Take the motor off and inspect your transom wood..most likely needs to be replaced (30+ years old). Dig out ALL the foam. Take to Carwash that has washing wands and power wash the whole interior. Do a leak test. Then sit back and figuire out what you want to do with the boat. Replace all the wiring for the lights and livewell pump. I would not attempt a conversion to a tiller(waste of time) keep your setup install pedestal seats behind you and towards the bow. Get rid of the metal fuel tank, get a plastic 6 gal and a 3 gal.(DO NOT run fuel lines under the floor) Those 40hp rudes of that era were not huge Gas Hogs. I would install a bow mount trolling motor. Get a piece of 1/4" aluminum and cut a new bow cap big enough to bolt the motor mounting plate down. You can mount the battery at the bow. For flooring use 1/2" exterior plywood ACX or BCX grade, seal both top and bottom and sides with a spar varnish. Marine carpeting can be had from many sources. POST MORE PICTURES ..front/sides/top/rear!!!!

i am keeping the steering wheel console,(dont mean to confuse others that i want a tiller, i just want the storage space in back, but in my boat it is 2 squares of foam on the port and star board sides of the stern) but i am just leery about removing the motor, ive never had a console boat and am unsure on how the connections go. i do need a new CABLE one is frayed and worn, somewhat seized at 65% throttle.
can i take my foam out and do this?? or is it too ridged and supports the boat. also in the floor is the foam between the ribs supportive? i was thinking plywood rivited is all i need for support, pics to come but it has been washed and scrubbed out, shines like it was just painted at the factory yesterday.

EDIT: No MOD bashing allowed. As for the edit, there is a time limit to edit all posts. If you wants something changed, let us know ... a different mod (aspeck)

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Hobo, and welcome!

If you remove the foam in your boat, make sure to replace it. It is very likely that it is part of the structural property of the boat, and it is really the right thing to do! :D

You have options here with replacing the foam, you could put the same expandible foam under the flooring (I personally think that would be a mistake) or you can purchase sheets of foam from the big box stores (often blue or pink), cut it to fit and follow lines of the bottom of the interior of the boat and use the flooring to hold it into place. You will be happy one day if you replace it and your vessel gets swamped for some unexplained reason...the reason you will be happy: you didn't sink!

As previously mentioned I also advise that you pull off your motor (it really is not that hard with good planning) and inspect your transom for rotten wood. Most of the aluminum vessels have exposed wood that is the core of the transom and it will rot since it was from the era where it was not likely sealed. You can check my forum for how I accomplished this.

Good luck and keep the pics flowing!

Frey

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
please post some more pictures of the inside and the rear of the boat...I had a 15' side console boat (Sylvan Sea Monster). Storage is a premium, although in a 15ft boat there is not much to begin with. A plastic 6 gal fuel tank will give you a lot of engine run time, another 3 gal will extend your run time with out taking up space.
Lets go one step at a time per each posting..What your posting is getting confusing. We are experienced boaters/fisherman here and have done numerous rebuilds, we are here to help you any way we can.
#1 come up with a plan...How do you want the boat set up(Layout) what kind of fishing are you doing, how many people and what waters are you planning on fishing.
P.S. Do you have any pictures of the inside of the boat before you took it apart...if so please post.

Last edited: