1970's 15' Fiberglass Custom Craft Hull Repair Quesiton

GreenAndPoor

Cadet
Hey guys,

I bought my first boat for 800$ (view a similar one here -> https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/6093675188.html ). The motor is running and I want to make it seaworthy for this season BUT I think I may have screwed myself. First time boat buyer beware I guess. I've noticed a few worrying hairline cracks in the hull. They look cosmetic (like just cracks in the gelcoat) but I was wondering how serious cracks in the gelcoat/bottom paint are? Do I have to repair these if there is no damage to the fiberglass? Or are hairline cracks indicative of larger issues. The internet jury seems out on this one. how can I tell the difference between a cosmetic crack and a serious one. Any advice?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Cracks can go either way, some mean nothing, others can be an indication of much more serious issues. Got some Pics?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
yup Some good pics will help us help you. Open a Free Photobucket account and upload your pics there. Then copy and Paste the IMG Code into your iBoats post.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Click on the pic in Photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG code.

I
f that's a crack running down the length of the keel right at the hull intersection then I'd recommend using a dremel tool with a v Grooving bit to open it up. Then wipe it down with acetone and apply gelcoat pase. OR do Nothing!!! I'm not seeing anything that's a big concern. Pretty normal for a boat of this vintage.