1976 Manatee Center Console -- The Floor Must Come Out

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm up in J-ville . You should pin yourself in the members locator map in the sticky' s at the top of the resto page ..
If I were a closer neighbor I would help out with the grinding or at least give moral support while drinking your beer for sure ! Lol !!

Greglous

Seaman
I'm up in J-ville . You should pin yourself in the members locator map in the sticky' s at the top of the resto page ..
If I were a closer neighbor I would help out with the grinding or at least give moral support while drinking your beer for sure ! Lol !!

I am now pinned on the locator map! PSA: I will provide "all you can drink beer" in return for some help on this boat! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
bud is quite fine. Only kidding. Lots of great guys here to get you threw it. I'm having trouble with the map finding my location. Grinda time says I.

Greglous

Seaman
Alright fellas, the boat is cleaned out and I am ready to start cutting. Before I do, however, I need to make sure this hull doesn't move around on me. What's a good way to support this hull without building an elaborate wood setup? Would straps or a couple 2 x's braced across the gunnels do the trick? Thanks in advance.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You can just maybe block up the trailer so it don't bounce around then add a few extra bunks under the hull getting them good and flat with the hull . Block up the transom if it runs past the the bunks any .
Also put a couple of supports down to the ground up on the bow to keep it from twisting . I would advise pulling a string diagonally from corner to corner to check for any twist of the hull . The strings should just lightly touch where they cross in the middle . Adjust your shoring as needed . Take a measurement across in the middle and right it down that way when the deck and everything hoes back you can strap or brace where it was .there is no cap to worry about refitting which is good .
When you measure across the center let me know what you have . That will help me out . Mine was all tore out so I had no way of knowing what is was to start .

Greglous

Seaman
sphelps Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to have this done before the weekend is over. Hopefully, I can find the time. I plan on taking a wide range of measurements to ensure that the boat is put back together properly. Good call on the string method -- really good idea. If I can get the boat braced in this weekend, I will likely pull the trigger on some materials. I am thinking I am going to do wood construction in combination with poly material. Not sure as to how much material I will need. I know that I will need resin, CSM, 1708, chopped strand. What else do I need and how much material do you think I will need? I will get a couple measurements for you on the boat right now.

Last edited:

Greglous

Seaman
sphelps So, I just took some rough measurements. From the center we have a width of 66 inches if measured from inside the gunnels (70 inches if measured from the outside). I would like to know what you have for measurements. My hull narrows pretty seriously as you make your way towards the stern. I measured in a hurry, but it looks like we have a difference of 3-4 inches from bow to stern. Normal?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
After work tomorrow I will measure what I have ... It is wider towards the front I'm sure . It's just the way they designed it I would think ..

Greglous

Seaman
Alright guys, after a hectic week -- it's back to the boat! So, I have been messing around with the outboard and I have began questioning the current engine. sphelps Do you happen to know what our hulls are rated for? I'm not too confident that my current 40 hp will plane this rig. Also, I plan on using this boat as a bay boat and near-shore boat (Gulf coast). We get plenty of days that would be smooth enough for this boat but I fear that it is under powered. What do you guys think?

Greglous

Seaman
jbcurt00 Thanks for the link -- I didn't know we had that resource here on iboats. This boat is a 15.6. Looks like we are rated for 85 hp which likely means that I am really under-powered for inter-coastal/near-shore. Tidal currents can get rather swift here at times. I guess I will begin to search for something closer to that 85 hp mark. Perhaps, I can find one of those sweet ole' 70 hp Johnsons -- love those outboards!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow an 85 seems large for this boat .idk ..
I picked up a 60 merc and was thinking it might be over powered but I may be wrong .
Somewhere here there is a CG formula that is kind of a guide . After adding measurements it gives you kind of a ballpark hp ..

Greglous

Seaman
sphelps Agreed! 85 hp seems like too much! lol This boat feels pretty light but maybe I am wrong. I guess v-hulls do have the tendency to be hogs in the water. I am thinking that 60 hp - 70 hp is probably the sweet spot. I would feel comfortable with the 40 hp for lakes and what not. Salt water -- eh I like knowing there is enough "chooch" back there if conditions get rough.

jbcurt00

Staff member
My 60 Glastron is 14ft 6 or 9in and is rated for 75hp w chines and a 15in transom, so not too out of line @ 85hp, IMO. But we can check w the USCG max HP formula:

Remote steer, 20in transom formula is:
(Length X Transom width X 2)-90

So how tall and how wide is the transom?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mine measures 66" across at center of boat length . That's inside of railing .
So doing the formula on mine it's rated for 65 hp .. 5 ft transom ..Greg yours is the same width right ?
20" transom height ..

Greglous

Seaman
Mine measures 66" across at center of boat length . That's inside of railing .
So doing the formula on mine it's rated for 65 hp .. 5 ft transom ..Greg yours is the same width right ?
20" transom height ..

Yes, I have the same measurements.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Then sounds like 65hp is a good target, maybe a 70....

Greglous

Seaman
That's what I am thinking. I know a guy that has a decent price on a Johnson 60 & 70 -- so I might give him a call. What do you guys think about running the 40? Under powered? All my boats are have typically been right at or near the max rating. I've never ran anything this much lower than the rating. It makes me a bit nervous.

Greglous

Seaman
P.S. I would make a test run. However, the 40 hp needs a little work. Trying to make a decision -- invest in a high hp or repair the 40. I don't want to repair the 40 if its going to get me killed. lol