1976 Manatee Center Console -- The Floor Must Come Out

Greglous

Seaman
Hey guys! Like many of you, I have an addiction to picking up projects. My latest project is a 1976 Manatee CC hull powered by a 1995 40 hp Johnson. My main concern at this point is the hull. The hull looks great at first glance, however, a plethora of problems lie underneath the surface. When I purchased the boat, I knew there were soft spots in the floor -- assumed stringers were wet as well. Now that I have the boat home, I am almost positive that this is the case. The deck ply is almost non existent. That being said, it looks as if the boat deck was replaced at one time (hopefully the stringers were as well). We also have some dame underneath, which looks to be mostly cosmetic due to the trailer rollers. My question is, does anyone have experience with gutting this hull? This will be my first glass project, and I hope that some of you fellas can walk me through the process. My first question is, where do I begin to cut? There are some storage compartments -- do they go as well? What about the sides? We have some extruding on the gunnels -- would there be wood in this area? What about the casting deck? Should it go as well? I will be posting and updating regularly as the project begins.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

Post some pictures of the boat, mostly the cockpit area, as that will help with responses.

Most boats are not that much different within a given type/style. So, you should gets lots of advice on the fix.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Someone may have done one of these before, but it doesn't make much of a difference, they all get put together about the same way. Start reading other threads here on the same subject and many of your questions will be answered, plus you'll get a good idea of what's involved

Greglous

Seaman
I attempted to upload photos on the initial post. However, it said that I was not authorized to post images. Is it because I am a new member? I have already familiarized myself with the process of replacing the floor. However, this particular boat has some things that makes the process less "black and white". Which I will show in the photos once I can get them uploaded. lol

Greglous

Seaman
Gotcha! Says I need to at least make three posts before uploading a photo. This is my third post. I will be following up with photos.

Greglous

Seaman
She looks good from here! lol
GOPR1066_zpsfourtvzm.jpg

Notice the ledges on both sides? What is under there? Gel-coat is cracking throughout the interior.
GOPR1075_zpsunqmyduz.jpg GOPR1078_zpsr9knjfik.jpg

The underside hull damage -- appears to be cosmetic only.
GOPR1079_zpss5n82sal.jpg GOPR1080_zpsay2ygxly.jpg

Greglous

Seaman
Deck ply is toast!
GOPR1082_zpsjien3jut.jpg

Excuse the mess -- previous owner. Notice these two storage compartments. Should they come out as well?
GOPR1084_zps5obp7eni.jpg

GOPR1085_zps641q3kd6.jpg

GOPR1087_zpscko3cbmx.jpg

Poorly installed console.
GOPR1088_zpsqjastdqx.jpg

More gel-coat cracking.
GOPR1089_zpsbvxqbhdz.jpg

Proposed cut line?
GOPR1085_LI_zpstxupv2cd.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Fairly simple, cut out the plywood floor, you will remove whatever needs to be removed as you go, that's about everything that is attached or sits on the plywood. This is about the easiest design to work on.

Greglous

Seaman
This is about the easiest design to work on.

This is nice to hear! The to storage compartments or "live wells" which are no longer functioning are pretty much shot. I will likely remove and replace with a casting deck/storage on the rear.

Greglous

Seaman
Also, when you say, "everything that sits on the deck" is this including the "ledges" on the sides? I don't understand what the function is for these. Are they structural? Are they plywood underneath?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
They are probably filled with foam, if they sit on the floor, or they are shaped with rotting wood they need to come out.

​Once you start the demo process it will become clear on what needs to be removed.

Greglous

Seaman
They are probably filled with foam
You are probably correct! I'd imagine the foam is waterlogged if that is what's in there. I was able to get a glimpse at some of the foam under the deck -- water logged of course. This is going to be quite the project, but I like a challenge. Hopefully I can get started on the removal of outboard and console tomorrow evening. I'm also assuming the transom needs replaced. It should be fun!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard Greglous !!!
Looks like we have pretty much the same boat only yours is in much better condition than mine was ..Good thing it's nice and open with no cap to have to take off ... Should be an easy restoration . This is what it looks like under the deck ... You have just helped me visualize what mine was supposed to look like ..

You should ask a mod to move your project over to the restoration section .. Lots of good folks all over the place on iboats to help out ...

Greglous

Seaman
Welcome aboard Greglous !!!
Looks like we have pretty much the same boat only yours is in much better condition than mine was ..Good thing it's nice and open with no cap to have to take off ... Should be an easy restoration .

This is a huge help! I was hoping to find a picture with the deck open so I knew what to expect. Did you finish your restoration? If so, did you rebuild the sides? My boat already has enough flex. I am afraid to tear these side pieces out -- I feel as if it will compromise the boat's integrity. Unless, of course, I decide to rebuild them which would likely be a pain!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not finished yet I had to put the project on hold for a bit . Hopefully starting back up soon .
Looking at how everything is put together from what I can tell it is the exact same layout inside . I will be building some fo of support going down the sides ..

Greglous

Seaman
I will be building some fo of support going down the sides ..
I will be watching your thread to see how you do this. I have thought of a few options to help stiffen things up. More than likely, I am going to build a rear cast deck which should help quite a bit. In addition, I am thinking about extending the front casting deck a bit. The glass on the front deck is in bad shape unfortunately something must be done with it. Then, I plan on foaming the rolled edges and closing off with some 1708. I think these things will give me enough rigidity. If not, I will then consider replacing the gutter rails (which I would rather not do). Hopefully I will not have to remove them to begin with -- which is probably wishful thinking.