new girl small issue, first boat!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had problems with pictures at first. I uued poto bucket and copied the url or img code from there and posted on my thread. However, I made the mistake to go to my photo bucket account and try to sort out my libraries to put certain pictures in one place while other to a more suitable library directory for easier tracking. However, that eliminated all my previously posted pictures on here for my threads. They were gone.

Soooo, I decided to upload from my computer. Problem with that was every picture was too large to upload. I was resizing them via "mspaint" for a long time. That got old as well. Then I simply resized the picture I was taking with the camera to a lot smaller resolution setting and WALA, no more problems.

I can now upload picture without any issues or resizing them. I think the max resolution is around 700kb on these forums. But I load a lot less size then that and they are easy to see without any issues. JMHO

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
ok, so was told ask questions..well here is a good one. i got the engine running decently to realise it needs new plugs, wires, coil, points and its owner needing a brain till itran out of gas...tank is out, so make shift tank is a 1 litero mexican coke bottle with the fuel hose shoved downin it. fuel pump works great. now....while running, i was smelling exhaust coming from the transom assembly, when it cooled off, i looked and found a long wet spot, felt it and found a long crack in the exhaust pipe that connects to the transom assembly. now this got me thinking...it needs a new elbow, coupler tubes, clamps and now the lower pipe. well i got thinking and started to imagine a through transom exhaust. just need to know if this is a good idea and what performance gains will i have. i have a good hole saw set up to 6 inches and decent skills in precision meassuring. i looked and can cobble together an exhaust system for maybe $180 excluding the elbow. NEED INPUT. ugh.....just got done watching short circuit.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
On this project you can do what you want, but I'd keep any 'investment ' in this oneto a minimum.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A couple things come to mind. Before you get too involved with this project, is this a boat you absolutely love? I ask that because if it isn't, I wouldn't send tons of money and time fixing it up if this boat is merely a go between until you get the one you love. However, If this is a boat you absolutely love, then proceed on, but do all the work and repairs like it is supposed to be done, so it lasts as long as you want to keep it. JMHO

With any type boat repair, never ever short cut anything. Do the work like it is suppose to be done and then the value will remain for the boat. It probably will cost more, but if you plan on keeping it, it is the best way to do things.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I think performance gains would be minimal at best. I would remove and inspect the entire exhaust system. If the motor is out of the boat that would make that whole process much easier. What do the motor mounts look like? I would upgrade the ignition system to an electronic set-up to eliminate the points. A motor that has been sitting for a long time likely needs the carburetor gone through.
You seem determined to move this project along and I still question whether this is the right boat. For your situation it may well be, so I will try to focus on just the repair side and stop telling you to reconsider.
So please find a way to send some pictures along. Those could possibly allay the fears some of us have about proceeding down this road.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
I think performance gains would be minimal at best. I would remove and inspect the entire exhaust system. If the motor is out of the boat that would make that whole process much easier. What do the motor mounts look like? I would upgrade the ignition system to an electronic set-up to eliminate the points. A motor that has been sitting for a long time likely needs the carburetor gone through.
You seem determined to move this project along and I still question whether this is the right boat. For your situation it may well be, so I will try to focus on just the repair side and stop telling you to reconsider.
So please find a way to send some pictures along. Those could possibly allay the fears some of us have about proceeding down this road.

for me the starting price was right, the fact the engine does run, sterm drive spins in both directions and that its a semi familiar engine to me. as for am i going to keep it? yes. it already has a name...sea vixen. for ignition, what i would like to do is put a performance electronic ignition on some time in the future, like an MSD or accel system. tomorrow when one of my checks comes in, i'll be picking up an MSD coil. some delco points and some plugs and wires from autozone, since these items are the same stuff for a 1976 chevy chevette 2.5...except for the points. now here is another question, why spend $14 on an oil filter from a boat supply when i can get the ac delco or fram tough guard equivilent for between $5 and $8? fram is a PH3980 and the ac delco i belive is an F3980? it needs an oil change. as for pix, the camera on my phone takes these weird colored pix like the chip is going out, found my kodak digital camera and the 2 batteries in it leaked and ruined it. i found a nice little nikon on CL near me for $50, so will be getting that tomorrow. so...i should have some pix up friday. oh...i did pull out and re-wrap most of the wiring behind the intrum,ent panel.. it's tighter and looks better and even found out why the fuel gauge didn't work... 2 broken wires, plug need to splice in some wire repairs..just 3 wires on the acessory harness. rear motor mounts are in good shape, front needs to be replaced along with the belt and the upper alternator bracket. i may either make a new one my self when my wrist heals, or scavenge one at pick-n-pull. gotta get a passenger side mittor on my truck any way.. some homeless schmuck decided to go off on me a few months ago because i only had a couple bucks to give him and came out with a coffee from my fave coffee house.. busted my mirror, kicked the tail gate till it wouldn't unlatch and took out 3 tires and tried to come after me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Zero performance gains on the 2.5 with a thru-transom exhaust. It may actually loose performance as the vortex from the prop has a scavenging effect

The chevette was an import. The 2.5 in your boat started life in the 1960's as the base motor for the Chevy II

Boat motors do not share any accessory brackets with automotive motors. The accessory brackets and bits were designed by mercruiser

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
Zero performance gains on the 2.5 with a thru-transom exhaust. It may actually loose performance as the vortex from the prop has a scavenging effect

The chevette was an import. The 2.5 in your boat started life in the 1960's as the base motor for the Chevy II

Boat motors do not share any accessory brackets with automotive motors. The accessory brackets and bits were designed by mercruiser

hmm...well dang..as for the upper alt bracket.........TIME FOR ME TO BREAK OUT SOME FLAT STEEL!! when my wrist is better. also..something tats been bugging me....why would i be seeing alot of carbon build up in the manifold water jacket? there is no signof water entering any intake or exhaust ports, and no milkshake in the oil. also found out why the choke was stuck.....gotta love rust. the shoulder screw that holds the choke rocker plate to the body was rusted up. took a wire brush and a file and cleaned it up, works smoothly now. and yeah i did take the manifold off..manifold to head gasket looks new and little crush to it, may re-use it.i have re-used intake manifold gaskets before on my 350 regal when i had it. only got rid of it because the TH350 auto crapped out while a good 1000 miles from home.. sold it in colorado, took the bus, made it as far as reno due to a snow storm, was browsing CL then and found my mazda pickup :) drove it in the snow, passed smog and put well over 20k miles more on it.

Last edited:

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

so here is a diagram of the new planned lay out. stoopid sun pad and original engine cover will go... dun think i'll be in a bikini on it. fuel tank will have a cover with a step, battery box and trim pump will have a cover with a couple drawers to store stuff like basic tools in. the bench seat i felt was waaay to close to the backs of the front seats, be like riding in the back seat of a porsche 911. the monkey however will get a basic folding seat, the admirals seat is one on a pedestal to fish from...no longer will this be a boat for pleasure and possibly nude water skiing, it will be a boat for fishing...and possibly nude fishing!!! and can't forget the cooler/s. the bow will be storage with basic glassed over plywood benches. pure utility...nothing more...gets me food when i catch it and that is all...oh and maybe a top so i can relax and dispose of dead bodies.

Attachments

• photo263526.jpg
    photo263526.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
Things like starters need to be marine not general automotive

thankfuly the starter was replaced in 2000 as with the alternator, found their tags. i may for the time being attempt to weld the break in the alternator upper bracket. sadly west marine is out of the 4 gaskets i need...the 2 manifold end plate gaskets, the manifold to elbow gasket and the carb mount gasket...well, time to get out the black fiber gasket paper and make some new ones. felpro has a handy pack of gasket material sheets in like 2 thicknesses of cork, 2 thicknesses of the blue stuff and a sheet of the black fiber for like $10. i'm gonna pick up a coil today, make the gaskets and some good plug wires out of an old set of jeg's wires off my old buick. so time for me to get stuff, get some pints of old viscosity, invite some friends over and sit in the boat!

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
i'm pretty good for a beginner welder. my hitch is still on after a complete welding to the frame. my custom exhaust is still under the truck and the right axle tube is still holding strong. so far i got the coil, plug wires, plugs, points and some gasket material all for less than $60. picked up a pair of helper springs for my truck and brake light control thingy since the turn signals and brake/tail lights are seperate bulbs. just need to get some black rtv and some good xacto blades... hope to have it fully running this weekend. gonna get an impeller kit tomorrow and sunday planon towing it to a friends ranch and putting it out on his lake to see how it does. then its in to the barn to do some deck work. he's got a mess of marine plywood he uses for making his chicken coops and said he's got 3 sheets of half inch i can have and some 1/4 inch cut-offs to start making the interior with.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, the deck is the last thing on a boat to rot....right after the stringers, bulkheads and transom

briangcc

Commander
You seem very determined and for that I commend you. IF you go through with your intended launch, please wear a PFD as should any of your passengers. Have an emergency plan in place should something happen (float plan). As this is your first boat I would also suggest a boaters education course - if it's not already required in your state.

Here's what can happen with a compromised support system (floor, stringers, transom):

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...76-1976-cobia-tri-hull-transom-destroyed-help

Yes this is an Outboard but the same would apply to that hunk of cast iron if the motor mounts break loose when you goose the throttle. What kind of damage will that 2.5L do before it comes to rest in a fiberglass boat? Something to think about.

Do a search through the rest of the resto threads here. Any number of them start out with the "I have a soft spot" or "I just need to replace the deck" and before they know it they come to the realization that the stringers and transom are shot as well. That's what everyone here has been trying to point out to you so you avoid that potential mistake.

Take it for what its worth but IF it were my boat, I'd be doing some poking around before I took it out.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
the first float is just going to be in a 6 foot deep pond, will have 1 bow line and 2 stern lines and my own stupid self in the boat...if it sinks, won't go down far and will be unpowered. just want to check for leaks at the transom assembly. plan is to let the stern dangle off the back of the trailer while a couple friends yank it off in to the water, i climb in, pull to the middle and tie off the lines where i'll sit for atleast an hour in the shade with a fishing pole (no license needed on a privatly owned pond) and a couple beers. just want to make sure it's not going to leak around the mount ring and see if i can catch a couple perch while i'm at it. then pull it out and check it over then take it home and finish the engine work. woulda done some work on it yesterday/wensday, but had running around to do, 3 doctors appointments and paying off a traffic ticket for towing a trailer with out a visible moving permit....cuz it was in the envelope that the dmv clerk gave me with the other info.oh and modifide exhaust in the city of marina...they hate it if you do anything to alter a car even the slightest.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like to read your posts merely for the enjoyment of what's happening daily. Never disappointed yet.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
You must have someone take pictures when you're out in the pond.