1986 Mercury 115 Tower of Power repairability

blaine0023

Recruit
Hello all, brand new member and not yet a boat owner. I am looking at a 1986 Baja Tri Hull 16 with a Mercury115 inline 6. It has been sitting since last summer but the guy put some fuel in it and I bought a new battery for it so we took it out on a lake to test it out and it will start and has a rough idle or dies without throttle. It also would not rev up with it trimmed all the way down in the water and get us up on plane. It really wouldn't do much more than put around. He let me bring it home to take to a local boat mechanic tomorrow and have the test the motor. I'm curios, even if the compression is good and they don't have any serious qualms with the motor how repairable are these older motors. I noticed a lot of parts are discontinued. I don't want to buy a boat/motor that is not repairable simply from lack of parts. He is only asking $850.

Also, are parts interchangeable within say 85-87 and from 90-115, like the lower end, impellers, water pumps, carbs: stuff that will eventually break. I thought I could keep a eye out for other similar motors and pic up non running or even running motors for the right price just to have parts on hand. Thank you for any help!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd post this in the Mercury Outboard section Typically the Tower of Power motor is a very good power plant