Calling all glass guys . Where to cut my Proline ! ??

proline31

Cadet
is it too much work to build a raised edge on the new deck.. so that any water on deck cannot get up an in to the hatches? im imagining a commercial style hatch.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Having investigated your make and model of boat and listening to what you want to do, I'd recommend the following.

Cut the cap as shown... CutCap.jpgThis will allow enuf work room to replace the transom.
Cut the deck as close to the hull sides as possible. You'll tab the New Deck to the hull sides and the smallest gap is best.
For a 25footer I'd use two Pieces of 3/4" ext. Grade plywood to fabricate the stringers and transom.
My guesstimate for Glassin' supplies is...
25yds of 1708 or1808 biaxial fabric.
25 gallons of Polyester Laminating resin with hardener.
5-10 yrds of 1.5oz CSM
4 gallons of Cabosil
4 lbs of 1/4" chopped strand
Lots of 1 qt plastic containers.
Lots of Cheap Chip brushes
4" bubble roller
Lots of 4-6" short nap paint rollers and handle.
5 Gallons of Acetone.
There's probably more but this is a good start.
I'd buy a Poly Tank.

Just an Old Dumb Okies Opinion!!!

proline31

Cadet
Having investigated your make and model of boat and listening to what you want to do, I'd recommend the following.

Cut the cap as shown... This will allow enuf work room to replace the transom.
Cut the deck as close to the hull sides as possible. You'll tab the New Deck to the hull sides and the smallest gap is best.
For a 25footer I'd use two Pieces of 3/4" ext. Grade plywood to fabricate the stringers and transom.
My guesstimate for Glassin' supplies is...
25yds of 1708 or1808 biaxial fabric.
25 gallons of Polyester Laminating resin with hardener.
5-10 yrds of 1.5oz CSM
4 gallons of Cabosil
4 lbs of 1/4" chopped strand
Lots of 1 qt plastic containers.
Lots of Cheap Chip brushes
4" bubble roller
Lots of 4-6" short nap paint rollers and handle.
5 Gallons of Acetone.
There's probably more but this is a good start.
I'd buy a Poly Tank.

Just an Old Dumb Okies Opinion!!!

I really appreciate the help sir.
In your opinion do most hatches over the sending unit cause leaks ? Yet to find truly waterproof deck hatch..all the sand and grime gunks up the gasket on mine.
I was looking at mako hulls this age and they have a coffin box and lid. Should this be the way to go for new tank access ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hatches for this style boat IMHO need to have a lip and the Lids recessed into the lip with a Rubber seal. Hopefully this crude drawing will illustrate what I'm talking about...IMHO these could be easily fabricated and glassed to the deck. Latches and hinges are easily found here in the iBoats store Hatch.jpg

proline31

Cadet
Hatches for this style boat IMHO need to have a lip and the Lids recessed into the lip with a Rubber seal. Hopefully this crude drawing will illustrate what I'm talking about...IMHO these could be easily fabricated and glassed to the deck. Latches and hinges are easily found here in the iBoats store
so build the lip around the deck hatch opening and than place a seal on the deck, and make the hatch fit on top of the lip?

Sorry, having a hard time imaging this for design

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Matbe a pic will help.
attachment.php