1989 Arriva Open Bow, Outboard, to bass/fish boat restoration/conversion.

ejpowell1234

Cadet
This might be a very silly endeavor, and from reading the posts everywhere, it seems like everyone on this site will tell you to sell the pile of junk, and save money and buy a new one...... to that I say nay! This is my first boat, and am trying to learn the fundamentals and components that make up a vessel.

I need to replace the stringers, foam boxes, and deck. Going to build up deck and bow to be storage/live well, as well as create platform to fish off of.

Pictures will be posted very soon. I have been reading posts on here for about a month just trying to research everything about this process. But if I can get help on where to start, you people should be the ones to go to.

Plus, FriscoBoater has some pretty darn good videos online, but he does everything to the T! I don't have the money/patience to do such a thing. Gotta be on the water this summer.

Thanks

briangcc

Commander
Welcome aboard! Post pics as we all love pics!!

In regards to your comment about everyone telling you to sell it, I think you're going to find that a number of the members here are exactly the opposite. They'll give you advice on how to proceed and cheer you on when you undoubtedly hit a low point....like when you cut through your hull as part of your restomod.

I will say though that the reason Frisco did what he did is that his life and the lives of his passengers depend on the workmanship of his resto. Taking a shortcut there simply isn't an option as potentially the lives of yourself, those aboard, and those around you could be put at risk. I would suggest thinking twice on taking shortcuts to simply get on the water quickly. Besides, those shortcuts may also require you to redo your work at the end of the season at which point what time have you honestly saved? You've now completed the work twice. Something to ponder on.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not sure where you read
Sell the pile of junk
But I doubt it was here, in the Resto forum. This forum, iboats in general, and tbe Resto subforum especially, that ISNT whats typically posted. The exact opposite is.

The guys hanging around this drydock are much more like cheerleaders shouting
You can do it
And
Heres how......

No shortcuts and almost good enough isnt nearly gokd enough.

Welcome to the drydock.

Post some pix of what you're working on.
Pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

ejpowell1234

Cadet
That is very good news! I will be posting pictures shortly after work, or tomorrow when its not snow/raining.

ejpowell1234

Cadet
Can't do pictures of my Boat till tomorrow, so in the mean time, this looks what my Boat looked like a long long long time ago... before the previous owner turned it into a Duck Boat, and destroyed the deck/stringers and painted it with brown spots.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 0

ejpowell1234

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo262479.PNG
    photo262479.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • photo262480.PNG
    photo262480.PNG
    542 KB · Views: 1
  • photo262481.PNG
    photo262481.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • photo262482.PNG
    photo262482.PNG
    829.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo262483.PNG
    photo262483.PNG
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo262484.PNG
    photo262484.PNG
    720.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo262485.PNG
    photo262485.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
You were using the add a link icon instead of the camera icon.

Seem to have got it now. Read the pix link I posted. There are multiple ways to post pix. Try a different way since you already have Imgur pix

ejpowell1234

Cadet
So i have just started my mod/resto. The PO used an external fuel tank for his trips and i would like to use the internal tank. One: how do i test to see if there are any leaks in the old tank,also what can i store the 30 or so gallons of bad abandoned fuel in that wont explode in my garage. Also, what kind of precautions should i be taking whilst removing the old "stuff" ( stringers, decking, foam ) and what can i do to make the replacement of things a whole lot easier! Im just afraid of cutting anything, because i think im going to ruin the hull. Also, im new to boats. Is the hull all fiberglass, or could it be rotten too... we took it out last year and it didn't leak, or not enough to notice.

Any help would really be appreciated. I am pretty much having to do this myself.

anyways Thanks in advance.

ejpowell1234

Cadet
I can already tell, that is going to answer ALOT of questions. Just did a quick skim while going over some proposals in my office... Thanks a ton scott!

ejpowell1234

Cadet
So, Im going to keep removing the deck/stringers and foam and .....everything. I think im going to keep the consoles, even though i really want to replace them with "tracker or other bass boat type consoles". but the G/F spent alot of time spray painting the passenger one... and gave me the look of death when i suggested replacing them.... so .... like most things , that has been decided. Time frame is potentially looking like i will be able to finish up demo by Sunday.

From what I have read, I need to grind everything down to the Hull... but, there are these bolts that go all the way around the inside of the "cap?" i believe. is that something i could just like unbolt and take the whole thing(deck/faom) out in one piece??

ejpowell1234

Cadet
No Title

Could these bolts , if loosened, be a way to remove the entire deck in one piece?

Attachments

• photo262534.PNG
    photo262534.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

ejpowell1234

Cadet
Update. I have the console ripped out, most the carpet pulled up. passenger side console remains, but i dont know if im going to replace that one. maybe.. Gotta see what things cost first. The bow deck, is completely rotten. and could push my foot through. I dont think it had any weep holes at all up there. the hull seems to pretty much be in good shape.

I removed the other windshield in the boat and think im just going to replace them with little bass boat windshields. and kind of mod the fiberglass console supports that are there now.

I accidently cut most of the wireing to the outboard and gauges. SO I guess i will be learning how to re wire a boat for all its electronics. I plan on having a trolling motor and depth finder, and stereo , as well as a solar trickle charger .

Pictures will come tomorrow.

briangcc

Commander
Depending on the condition of your wiring, you may be able to resolder the wires that were cut through. If you do this I would invest in a heat shrink tubing kit that includes various sizes. Slide an appropriate length of tubing over one of the sliced wires, strip back sufficient length of insulation on both sides of the cut, join/solder them together, LET THEM COOL, then slide the shrink tubing over and shrink with heat source. You have a solid and insulated connection.

Here's what Iboats carries:

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Grade-...09158820--session_id.118307884--view_id.20855

Easy stuff to fix there.

And if you're unintentionally cutting through stuff you shouldn't, perhaps slowing down a touch and checking to see what all is involved in your next step before actually doing it would be advisable. This would help avoid further setbacks in your project. Just a suggestion, take it for what its worth.

Last edited:

ejpowell1234

Cadet
No pictures (I unfortunately had to meet with a client tonight) But, i got a little progress done. I think im going reuse the consoles, but have to do some repairs, and replace all the gauges. How do i find gauges for that boat? Are pretty much all gauge sets the same size? ..

I wanted to replace the entire console, but the only person i found that had a bass boat setup (passenger and driver) was this dude that i could only contact by phone, and didnt have ANY information on the unit except for a price of 250.(which would be Amazingly cheap!!!) i dont know. I dont really like the look of the blocky consoles for sea fishing vessels, or pontoon boats all the much. I like the look of tracker/skeeter etc....

Any body got a set just layin around?! haha