1978 Starcraft Offshore Rebuild

opsimath

Cadet
Continuation of rebuild thread: 1978 Starcraft Offshore SS IO
First posted July 6, 2015

I had to put this project on hold while we were building our home. During this time I decided to take the Mercruiser and drive unit to a local boat shop that specializes in these older boats and motors. I was told that everything was ok but worn and could be rebuilt. Left them a sizable deposit and checked in periodically. My last visit was a shock as I found the entire shop was closed, cleaned out and the owner AWOL.

Now I need an engine and complete drive unit. I am thinking new but need opinions and advice as to best places to shop. Also, any insight as to what engine and drive unit you would purchase, given that I am starting from scratch.

Thanks Much

ops

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I'd find a rotted boat with a good 3.0 or 4.3 Mercruiser setup in it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey kinda kidding. Not sure how I would go about getting my deposits back in this situation. On another note keep on a positive mindset. Sorry about you your loss. Litigation is a $$ thing.
Welcome aboard and send in alot of pics.

opsimath

Cadet
I have moved past the loss/theft and have decided to purchase a new motor and drive unit. Need opinions concerning best place on internet to order a mercruiser 3.0 and drive unit?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
What parts do you have? if you need literally every bit and piece, you'd be better off finding a donor hull.