Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Got the jeep under control now. Ran around and paid the bills.

I finally got to mess with the boat. For a while I was unraveling the mysteries of the pyramids trying to see what order these side panels went in going together. I finally got them apart.

I cut the pieces I need for one side. Leave the other one together in case I get confused later at least I have a reference. Silly thing is 5 inches over 8 foot so I had to butt join 2 pieces. I used dowels where it was over the boat. And use a backer where it was over open space. It is glued and clamped till tomorrow.

I looked for a 10 foot piece and they wanted over 100 bucks for a sheet of it. I will just do a hours extra work and join the small piece.

And since I got a late start and wanted the glue to dry so I had work tomorrow. I was down there at 430. Well the Admiral wasn't having this and yelled down the stairs it is time get up stairs. And that is why I get up so early to work. I am done worn out before she does this.

Attachments

• photo282130.jpg
    photo282130.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo282131.jpg
    photo282131.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo282132.jpg
    photo282132.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

One side done.

First pic is actually to show the wood vice held to the bench by the C-Clamp. So I could see while i was stapling it together.

Got more brakes to do tomorrow that will slow me down some LOL.

Attachments

• photo282154.jpg
    photo282154.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo282155.jpg
    photo282155.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Was out there at 7 am before the sun came up and knocked out the brakes I had to do.

I wrapped the last piece in plastic. I am totally out of space down there so I hung it from the ceiling. It was with the wood against the wall. It sure isn't going back there now. It is upholstered top and bottom and can sit on the ground. Much less wood leaning in it.

I stripped the next side. Got the pieces all cut. Got the piping made for it. Found a cliff note from when they built the boat.

Marked the piece on the benches in the heated garage. Then it is like a comedy act. I put the benches tool and pieces by the door. Open it drag it all out. Run in and shut the door on the cord. I got on a parka skii cap gloves moving like the devil is after me getting it done. It was 15 frickin degrees out there. Then fold the benches and set it all by the door. Open it put it all inside and shut it before the heat all escapes.

Then once i had the benches up inside and warmed up by the heat a while. I drilled the dowels and put the backer board. Glued it and put weight on it till tomorrow. Then cut the excess off the end.

I know it looks goofy but it was a scrap piece from cutting out the storage area. And it was perfectly flush right where it is.

Attachments

• photo282175.jpg
    photo282175.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo282176.jpg
    photo282176.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo282177.jpg
    photo282177.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo282178.jpg
    photo282178.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well today i blew the staple gun up. Wore it out. It was real old poor thing couldn't keep the pace anymore. It made great M's out of the staples but they were not going in any more.

I looked for another electric one but nobody had one. I got a heavy duty manual one to replace the fallen soldier. I only had 6 staples left when it went.

Other side done.

Tonight is the admirals big day. Birthday and graduation from college finally. So i am off to do that now.

Attachments

• photo282220.jpg
    photo282220.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282221.jpg
    photo282221.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Wrapped the last part up after covering it with plastic.

Cut all the red for the rest of the boat. Cut all the grey for the rest of it.

Got the back seat bottoms white cut.

Got the white for both seat bottoms cut.

I am going to need white I think. It will be tight if it makes it. There is a lot of vynal in this boat.

I had to sartt my sons pinewood derby car for boy scouts. Kinda cut my time short.

second pic is my make shift cutting table.

Attachments

• photo282248.jpg
    photo282248.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282249.jpg
    photo282249.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Did the old guy thing last night. Fell asleep in my chair. So I was up this morning way to early.

I went down and stripped the second back seat bottom. I sewed both pleats. All the piping. Did the end caps. Hand sewed and assembled one. I am wore out now.

Here is the pieces I will put together tomorrow. And the finished seat bottom.

I will be glad when this sewing is all over. I am ready to move on to something else now.

jtrtoday was right I miss the smell of resin now. The little piece of wood in the center is the pinewood derby car I am working on when I take breaks. It is a old time Bonneville salts flat type car. I covered it with resin so it will accept regular automotive paint and shine. Not soak it all up. My son wants it the same color as the chevelle with black stripes. So that is what he is getting LOL.

Attachments

• photo282276.jpg
    photo282276.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
We are having a heat wave fight now it is 40 degrees. But it is about to do the zero thing. So now is the time to go out untarp the rear of the boat and remove the fake back seat/storage cover in the back. I kinda want to get in and visit my baby to.

chevymaher

Commander
I got finished farting around with my sons pinewood derby car. Got it sanded and painted. Just wheels a stripes now. That is why I been tardy working.

I got the last seat bottom sewn and assembled. Took apart the seat back/convertible top storage cover I took off the boat yesterday. It was falling apart inside. Staples rusted in half.

I marked cut glued and screwed the pieces for that. Tomorrow start taking apart the material and cutting the pieces.

Attachments

• photo282376.jpg
    photo282376.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282377.jpg
    photo282377.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282378.jpg
    photo282378.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well went to pick up the admiral last night. Had a flat and had to take the truck yippee. Got that straightened out now. Put stripes on my boys car. Then I could do boat stuff.

Then I was thinking again. And it still hurts. Seeing what I can fit on the piece of vynal I got and how much more i need to finish. This boat has a bunch of vynal in it.

Then I shaped sanded and painted the wood part in question. Get it looking as much like original as possible. And smooth the rest out on the edges so it doesn't cut into the new vynal.

Attachments

• photo282414.jpg
    photo282414.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282415.jpg
    photo282415.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282416.jpg
    photo282416.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo282417.jpg
    photo282417.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Got the pieces I could cut. I got the pleats done Foam on the backs. Piping made and sewn where the machine would do it. I got the vynal rope trim pieces sewn but not in the pic. Now suffer sewing the 2 piping parts together. One more seat part after this and the dreaded double piping is finished.

X-mas is slowing me down here LOL.

Attachments

• photo282464.jpg
    photo282464.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
I been slacking. I went down got 3 stitches in yesterday. My buddy with the bayliner came over. We had show and tell on all the junk I made so far. We ran our jaws about boats and chevelles a while. He has a chevelle as well. Then I went with mom and my family to Coney Island and looked at the X-mas display.

Today is store/grocery day. I see a bunch of X mas visiting and activities till the 26th impeding progress this week. Admiral is finished with college and home and is feeling needy for company. I am doing the Honey Do list for the holidays a lot.

Ah my hands needed a break anyway. I will be sneaking down occasionally but I doubt much will get done. Regularly scheduled programming with resume after these messages basically.

chevymaher

Commander
Well after I posted the Admiral started doing laundry. Of well if we are not going to the store I am working LOL.

I got the double piping sewn on the top back. Since I need long vynal I tore apart the other seat and marked it on the wood.

At least I got something accomplished. Now we going to the store.

Attachments

• photo282595.jpg
    photo282595.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282596.jpg
    photo282596.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Today I was a sewing fool again. I got the other back parts cut the piping made.Did the pleats. All machine work is done till the double piping is done. I got one of those done then i was assembling x mas toys for my buddies grandbaby.

3 more double pipings and I am done with thoise B#$@^&$ds. Then it all machine sewing for the duration.