Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Introduction first. I am Randy from northern Ky by the ohio river. I grew up around boats but this is my first one.

I keep coming across this forum researching my new boat. So I figured I going be here alot and decided to join.

Now the boat in question. A 87 Four Winns 170 Horizon. And like my chevelle I got it in pieces and in boxes. The boat sat for years and years neglected.
Guy said last time out skiing it ran worse and worse until it died. He pulled the engine and outdrive. Planned on rebuilding it. Then got another boat and it just sat.

I got the engine and outdrive here a month ago. Had the engine on a stand in the shop seeing what was wrong. I got the boat itself here a week ago. Had to wait till the mud in his yard dried enough to pull it out.

I plan to fully restore the boat as I go along. New interior make it presentable. It is a 3 liter merc and I have ridden in one my buddy had I am fine with the power. I will be fishing and skiing not racing it.

So far I found a dead spark plug wire. The electronics in the distributor shorted and they are gone. A pertinex unit. It had a bad coil. Distributor knife edged the gear. And it had way to much side play in the distributor shaft. Seems Merc did not use a lower bushing in them. Or it was a factory mistake. I restored a 68 chevelle so I had lots of parts to that. I pressed in a lower bearing in the distributor housing solved that mess. It says it has 64 hours n the engine on the counter. Boat reflects that this may be right. It has no wear anywhere. Seems it just sat.

The boat its self was stored correctly with the plug out. I checked for rot all the wood looks good. Interior was badly mildewed and the exterior was moss and mildew covered from sitting under the tree for years.

I am a registered car mech and I do paint and bodywork. But am new to the gel Coat situation. And this is why I kept coming across this forum. Learning Gel coat care.

Any how I sanded it and buffed it on the extremely faded color stripe. I still got the white to do. But is looks alot better. Future post will not be so long winded. Just had a lot to catch up on this round.

I don't expect to float it this year. Shooting for next summer. But who knows if things go well.

Here some as I got it and now shots of the Barge as I call her. Never mind I just found out I have to make 3 post to do that so in the future I will. The saying on my other forums is we like pics. I assume this one is the same.

Randy.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard.

For photo posting, read this thread http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

If you choose Option 3, you don't have to wait to have three posts.

You have a 30 year old boat - make sure you check the stringers, transom and flotation foam thoroughly to make sure they aren't waterlogged (a visual inspection usually isn't enough). Most boats of that age will have some hidden issues somewhere - hopefully yours is an exception!

chevymaher

Commander
2 years ago the guy said it was last in the water running. I am working now I will post a bunch of pics later when I in my chair resting. Believe it or not the guy I got it from was a retired marina mech, He assured me it was fine but I am going to check everything again, And thank you i will go look at the pic link.

chevymaher

Commander
This is the boat where it came from. The boat behind it is a Baja my brother bought, LIke I said guy bought a new boat and is selling all the other ones he had. This is my 3rd post so I should be able to upload from now on the ones here where I buffed The color stripe when I get up to the computer that has the recent pics.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looks like you have a nice little project to work on

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Yea I can post pics. Thanks Shsu. I am very happy with it. Yea the little camera post pics thing is there now. It is going to take time but I going to stick it out. Alot easier than doing a old car. Next is the upper white sections. Then the bottom.

Clean and detail the trailer get all the buffing compound off of it.

Interior is decent. It going to need to be replaced in a season or 2. I got to make a new bow cover. I like that and they don't sell them. It has the canvas top and poles I got to make that to. I figure get a full cover and use the bow cover when using the boat on cool days. Cockpit cover is actually in really good shape. Just faded from leaves and water sitting in it. That won't happen again.

Once I get past making it look decent in the yard. Back to working on the motor. It passed all test so far. I got to put the flywheel on it for a compression check. Dig my cherry picker out from under the tires and see if it will lift this engine high enough to get it in. Or I got to tow it to my buddies house use his ceiling hoist.

Attachments

• photo261537.jpg
    photo261537.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 56
  • photo261538.jpg
    photo261538.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 52
  • photo261539.jpg
    photo261539.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 55
  • photo261540.jpg
    photo261540.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 55

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Amazing how much better the gel looks with a little buffing. Be interested to hear if the engine is something simple like ignition.

chevymaher

Commander
I honestly think that is all it was. I got on the horn with pertinex and talked to tech. It was dead. Power wire in the distributor wore through. Power to the base and negative. Fried it. It wasn't working. Cylinder 4 had a dead spark plug wire. And the coil is shot. It tested way out of specs. So a new pertinex set with the 40 thousand volt coil is what is in its future. Fuel pump was completely clogged. One way valves were not working. I took it apart inspected and cleaned it. Works fine now. Ethanol poisoning.

Original complaint was it lost power over the course of a few hours. Then just died and had to be pulled in. Missing and starving for gas then no spark at all. What I found matches what he said. Like I said so far mechanically the engine is checking out so far.

The engine stand it is on there isn't room to get the flywheel on it. So I got dig out the cherry picker and lift it and put spacers in there so I can get it on. Then I will run a leak down and compression test on it. Engine looks like new still. Not even hardly dirty no discoloration in paint anywhere. I ran a oil primer I got on it. It has good oil pressure.

I already rebuilt the distributor it just needs a gear. I replaced the bushing and added one in the lower distributor from a 68 V-8. It pressed right in and works perfectly. I need to get the gear still.

I will recheck the stringers and what not. That will be next. I been reading up on hull construction and rebuilding them. So advice above was well received and will be looked into. Right now I am more concerned with making my new toy pretty even if it is just sitting there. So finish cleaning and buffing the rest. Then worry about the engine.

Out drive has new seals in it now. I checked it and my buddy who has had and broke several boats came over and checked it. It seems perfect. Never had the keel hit the bottom. Prop is unmarked it never hit anything.

It has a sony stereo and a kenwood power booster in it. But the faceplate got lost in the shuffle somewhere. I got the stereo model number and e bayed it. Really 15 bucks ship it. It is a old stereo about the same age as the boat. I wasn't expecting to find one.

I would like advice on picking the lock on the glovebox. The key is gone and I would like to not damage it and replace it.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

You have a 30 year old boat - make sure you check the stringers, transom and flotation foam thoroughly to make sure they aren't waterlogged (a visual inspection usually isn't enough). Most boats of that age will have some hidden issues somewhere - hopefully yours is an exception!

It wasn't LOL. I will be doing repairs here. Pardon the pun but I guess this is going to turn into a frame off as they say in the car world. I read up and watched some videos on checking this stuff. Good in the engine compartment. Not so good in the ski oar storage compartment. So I guess the writing is on the wall for me. Replace this stuff.

I sanded and buffed the upper white on the passenger side today. Then checked. So next work session I will sand and buff the drivers side then peel the floor over the gas tank see what is in there. I already told the wife the news. It all good with her do it.

Seems the bad bow cover was leaking into the ski hold and it stayed wet. Tsk Tsk.

Attachments

• photo261590.jpg
    photo261590.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 29

SHSU

Chevy that is a nice shine you put back on her. Bummer to hear about the Ski/oar storage. Is the foam water logged or do you think it actually got into the stringers? Guessing you are going to do a couple test drills in the transom to check their as well

chevymaher

Commander
Chevy that is a nice shine you put back on her. Bummer to hear about the Ski/oar storage. Is the foam water logged or do you think it actually got into the stringers? Guessing you are going to do a couple test drills in the transom to check their as well

Guy who owned it last did the transom test. It has the drill holes patched. I been checking things for a while. Seems to be just in the skii hold. Don't matter what ever i find it is getting fixed. Got to weld metal in chevelles and replace wood in a boat. It isn't so bad. Alot cheaper than buying sheet metal on a car.

I will do it right. It don't seem to bad so far but I know how this stuff snowballs once you dig in. Don't matter I got wifey presidential approval to do whatever. We been together a long time. She is used to me completely tearing things apart now. They always look like new when I am done and that is all she cares about.

I used to build houses and used to working with wood so I am sure I am sure can handle it. I also do fiberglass work in dealing with cars so I am not new to that mess either. So if it needs all new so be it. If it just needs a little work even better.

My brother who got the other boat is ready to dig into his now to after I found this.

And thanks she is turnin out right pretty. I will finish doing the buffing before I move on to the engine and floor.

I knew she needed work when I got it. I was figurin a year or so to get her together. So it all good. It will be worth it when she done. Compared to the chevelle when I drug it home this thing is cherry.

I still so tickled with it I could just sheet LOL.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'd rather do body work on sheet metal any day then grind fiberglass lol. You will see why if it comes to that.

chevymaher

Commander
I just found a thread of a guy fixing just this on a horizon. I see what is under there now. This isn't so bad if I got to do it all. And yea I have ground on fiberglass before it is a blast. I got a few good painters mask I figure they come in handy for all of this.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I just got done inspecting as much as I need to. Both inner stringers are wasted. Right where the skii hold ended. There was a open spot in the fiberglass letting the water through. Good ahead of there and I didnt open the gas tank to check yet. Don't matter floor is coming up. Stuck a screwdriver right through both sides. I was up collecting pictures of what is under there. I am studying others efforts and making a plan right now. But it does got to come completely out and redone.

SHSU

....Both inner stringers are wasted. Right where the skii hold ended. .....

Man that is a bummer. What do you plan as far as fiberglass schedule and epoxy/poly?

chevymaher

Commander
I got the gas tank section open now and am still digging. Foam behind the stringers is still dry. Both stringers seem to be good just behind and good forward of that spot, Engine compartment crossbrace is fine, Seems to be anything near the rear of the skii hold so far. I need resin but I probably got enough mat here to do all I need to do. I use that stuff for everything. I been reading all night how this is supposed to be done. Making plans for getting this mess out. Been out there with bags and a screwdrivers digging the rot out i can, Let it dry some. So far all that came out is the cross member behind the skii locker, The silly stringers like i said seem to be good inches forward and behind this point. Once I finish digging that will tell the tale,

I learned from my cars take lots of pictures and notes on how things come apart, Because you are going to forget by the time it goes back together. I am going out take pictures once the rain stops again. And made a computer folder for them. Last night I was collecting pictures of the hull in various stages of being stripped so I know what is in there. Put those in the folder. Print them later for reference as I get in deeper. Take notes in a notepad how the carpet was installed in various places and how the original wood was in there. So when it goes back together it looks factory.

So far we are still in the evaluation stage. I did find out my boat has the cool lay down seats screwing with it.

I got to move things in the garage. Put the engine and outdrive out of the way, Label and put all the parts away. Gonna need room for all the interior junk about to come out of the thing.

SHSU

Fun, Fun. Had to "ask" (Beg) the admiral to let me use the garage and park her vehicle outside.

chevymaher

Commander
Fun, Fun. Had to "ask" (Beg) the admiral to let me use the garage and park her vehicle outside.

Both cars in the garage are mine the van and the chev that never moves. Hers is outside. I don't think the silly boat would even fit in here. To long. If it was in here I couldn't get in the silly thing. The roof would be where my waist is standing in the boat.

I am just happy the Admiral as I guess we call wives here. Is just supportive of what I do in the man cave. She is the calm behind my storm. She never complains when I bring stuff home in pieces or ask "How much is this gonna cost". So I am lucky there. If i am busy and happy she is happy. You know as long as I do my other work and don't slack.

I am just a hyper diaper and she is calming. When this came up she said don't worry you were not planning on using it for over a year anyway. Just relax have fun you will get it done. Now rest it will be here waiting for you tomorrow.

She is right. Tinker inside a little buff a little. Then go do my real work LOL.

I had to take a break and tend to getting the gardens ready, But I did do some drilling and checking. 4 inches from the black nasty decomposed stuff, Wood is wet but it is solid still. I made a hole in the fiber glass to check after the drilling. It is soaked but solid.

I got my router out and put a cord on it. I got to pick up different bits for cutting fiberglass. For when I get to getting the old stringers out. Now go up and organize the computer and put my notes in there. Do more reading on this subject learn all I can.