Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Ah, the excuse to buy power tools!!!!! As my Admiral says: "Boys and Their Toys". Do a lot of woodworking and agree with flipbro that you need to get a sawzall and grinder. I have a lot of tools, and keep finding new ways to use them, but use what you got. The right tool makes it easier and quicker, but might not always be the cheapest (By far depending on the tool). Either route you choose just make sure you have proper PPE. You don't want any tool coming back on you.​

chevymaher

Commander
Oh I got tools but always need more. I could use a saws all. I been wanting one of those air ones. I got grinders. I am actually shopping for a small circular saw. I don't think the big one is gonna work up in the bow area to well. I got mask with filters protective glasses and goggles. I am used to making a mess.

I don't plan on doing work with the router. I just want to do some exploratory things with it.

I been watching that guy Frisco boater restore a sea ray all night.

Right now I just studying up all Jethro Bodine style. Getting that 5th grade edumacation on boatin. Making the plan of attack.

I am not in a rush. I got to make room to do this in the shop. Make plans schedule this into all the other things I got going on. It is new here so it hasn't established its time slot yet. I wish it would dry up so I can finish buffing it out.

Then I got work to do and it can sit and be pretty till I got time to work on it in spurts when I got time. Right now I want to peel off the fiberglass from the rotten wood and let it dry out some. That is what I wanted the router bit for.

Original plan was have it ready next year for use. This is just something I got to work in the plan.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Nice looking boat on the outside. Pretty amazing all the ugly that carpet can cover up, huh? My Chap was the same.

pckeen

Commander
Enjoy the process, that's really why we do this.....a working boat at the end is just a bonus.

chevymaher

Commander
I had time to work today. Inspected the transom real good. It is solid. I went through the engine compartment with a fine tooth comb. the cross brace at the end of it before the stringer is question is good. I took the gas tank out today. The gas in it, if that is what you call it was nasty. That is out side against the house airing out under the pool. Before I bring it in for cleaning. It's pickup tube is so clogged I couldn't siphon the gas out through it. Ethanol the wonder gas. I would bet the water filter is like that to. But that is for another day.

I immercifully ripped the rotted cross brace out in the rear of the ski locker. I need to remove the gas tank framing to inspect this more. I am taking floor out. But I do seem to be running out of rotted wood now. So we will see once the floor is up. It is soft underneath in spots on the edges so it is gone.

Now that the tank is out of the way I could get way up in the locker area. Finally I am out of water draining. And it is drying up.

Tomorrow I am taking the old gas for disposal. And oil from oil changes. And clearing out a bunch of dirt track tires and drag slicks on rims. I am making room for the boats needs. Tires are to old to be trusted now i have had them forever. Pack rat syndrome. They look good but past the age recommended for use. I wont ever put them on the chevelle they just taking up space.

LOL so the boat really rates in my book if I am clearing out chevelle parts to make room for it. Tomorrow is garbage day. So I will have the can empty to fill up with more garbage.

Plan is get the seats out. Get the floor up so it can dry out completely. Back to buffing the rest of the outside while that goes on.

Just another step in the process completed today. I got as long as it take old boat. I accept your challenge.

pckeen

Commander
Excellent, you are making progress, but remember....without pics, it didn't happen.:D

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Excellent, you are making progress, but remember....without pics, it didn't happen.:D

LOL okay. I got the boat under a full tarp now rain is rolling in. Don't have the pics of the gas tank out yet. But I have been taking pics so I know what it is supposed to look like when it goes back together. I will not falter in my pic duties any more. But here is the rotted cross brace before it all came out. I was trying to beat the rain and get it tarped this morning. I was in there seeing if this water was drying up or coming back. It is dry in there this morning.

Yesterday it had its own little eco system going on in there. Opened the cockpit cover. It was condensating on it under neath and raining back down in there. I can see now keeping it dry in there so this don't happen is going to take a little work after using the boat. Wet vac it and open the covers and let it air out on dry sunny days.

I was kinda thinking you guys were more interested in the seat out I took the chain saw to it pics. I can get a pic of the gas tank in the garage if that helps. LOL.

Attachments

• photo261854.jpg
    photo261854.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 22

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well it just keeps getting better LOL. I got pics of the mayhem. And thanks CrazyFinn for making me dig deeper. I would have been going to Davey Jones locker first time I jumped this thing.

It hasn't started raining yet. Got the seats out just ripped the carpet out. Figure I needed new anyway. I was in it under the tent. When ever this rain lets up I guess I will start carving and cleaning it out. See what other wonders the barge has for me to discover.

Attachments

• photo261884.jpg
    photo261884.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 19

chevymaher

Commander
Well this morning after I drop the admiral off at college. I am going tool shopping. I need a smaller grinder. The monster I got wont fit under the bow rider parts. Not to mention holding it with one arm at arms length would be exhausting after a while. I actually got lucky on the trailer supports. It has 4 supports that run from the back of the boat to the drivers seats. That was handy. After I got off of here yesterday I got a selection of prybars and such tools and set them all out on the bench. Nice wood chisel for whittling the edges. Checked my supply of flap disk and various different grinding disc. Got whiz wheel disc for the air angle grinder. Painters mask for the fiberglass that will be flying. I gonna use my painters plastic and completely seal in the gauges to keep the dust off of and out of the dash.

I been chatting with my brother who got the 91 Baja 270. I thinking he needs to do some exploratory surgery himself after what I just found. His is a newly rebuilt 454 supercharged monster that dynoed at 780 HP. I thinking it is a little more critical on his than my wienie 4 banger with 140 hp.

I was telling him believe it or not completely rebuilding the boat periodically seems to be just normal maintenance. After reading a bunch of peoples threads. I see it would be a complete fluke if it wasn't just rotted from end to end like mine.

My other buddy who has always had boats reminded me what boat is the abbreviation of. Bust out another thousand.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
It does seem that way. I've seen some Baja's done on here and they aren't particularly well built. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if your brother's needed some work. It seems like unless a 15+ year fiberglass boat has a pristine garage kept looking interior, it's prolly got rot somewhere. Fortunately my Hydra-Sports is wood free. If it wasn't I'd be in trouble because I found a leaky trim tab mount that absolutely woulda trashed a wooden transom.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

It is never a good sign when you cut open a stringer and water pours out. At least I am batting a thousand here. If it is wood it is oatmeal. I will be a while cleaning this mess out I imagine. I cut into the stringer I am sitting on in the picture and it is gone as well. Running the shop vac while grinding fiberglass seems to be the secret to keeping the dust in the air under control. It has been raining here so I been under the tent so to speak. next clear day I got to take the engine compartment out. On the bright side the foam is still all dry. Both sides. So far anyway.

Attachments

• photo261984.jpg
    photo261984.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 21
  • photo261985.jpg
    photo261985.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 19

pckeen

Commander
Yup - looks like everything needs replacement - best bet is to replace all the wood on the boat, transom included.

chevymaher

Commander
Yup - looks like everything needs replacement - best bet is to replace all the wood on the boat, transom included.

Yep exactly what I was thinking. Just do it all. Don't try to save that 6 inch section of good wood somewhere. I would just feel better knowing it is all good.

I won't ever get rid of it I will get my use out of it. I have talked to the admiral. She wants it fixed. I be doing the interior all new. I got a heavy duty sewing machine. I used to work in textiles. I sure am not taking the interior out twice.

So the plan is just clean it out carefully so i don't hurt the hull. Whittle it away. I can only work a few hours at a time. So this gonna take a while. It is my first time.

I been taking pics and notes on everything as it comes apart so i know where everything is supposed to be going together.

Where you guys get wood and what kind is used. Mine seemed to have pressed board in the cross braces. But these to stringers were regular wood of some kind.

I was reading on the coosa board. And composite materials those are getting mixed reviews. I just don't want this happening again. I am reading everyone elses threads and taking notes tho.

I am open to all suggestions. I just want it done right. Frisco Boater is a good example to follow I take it. He looked like he does real good work and he explains things well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Regular exterior ply will be fine. If you want to step up to marine plywood go ahead as it is a better product. However it'll likely cost 3 times as much. Also contrary to frequent belief marine ply is not treated against rot. It's just a better plywood with some or all of the following: better glue, more plys, cross laid plys, fewer voids, etc. Fiberglassed back into your boat properly as directed on here, your boat will be way better built than it was when new. Frisco's SeaRay project is an excellent guide. Baylinerchuck 's project is shaping up to be a gold standard project as well for reference.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
It is never a good sign when you cut open a stringer and water pours out. At least I am batting a thousand here. If it is wood it is oatmeal. I will be a while cleaning this mess out I imagine. I cut into the stringer I am sitting on in the picture and it is gone as well. Running the shop vac while grinding fiberglass seems to be the secret to keeping the dust in the air under control. It has been raining here so I been under the tent so to speak. next clear day I got to take the engine compartment out. On the bright side the foam is still all dry. Both sides. So far anyway.

Unfortunately the foam will have to come out. There is really no way of working on the stringers with it in. I feel your pain, my Chap was in the same shape.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay a question. Is all this wood a standard thickness or should I be measuring things and recording them before I chop them out. I am assuming since mine obviously is wet and has frozen it is swelled. I am going to measure the main stringers today see how long a board I need for them. I am seeing wood I can use for the main stringers that is a inch thick. It is okay to go a little wider on those if that is all I can find isn't it? I am pre shopping wood. We got a lumber yard I used building mom's and my brothers houses. I am sure they can get what lowes and places don't have if I need it.

I don't have a issue spending a little more on the marine materials if it makes the boat stronger. Ohio is pretty rough with the barges going by. Those wakes are like waves in the ocean. I like the data given on the marine ply better glue and cross laid plys and less voids. I got more in the chev and my van than they are worth. Resale value is only important if your selling. I just like this boats style I used to ride in one as a kid. My uncle had one. I own all old vehicles. I just like old restored things.

I just got the boating bug bad. Even with the unseen issues I am still so happy with this boat I can't see straight. My wife is a philippino island girl so I got support in the project. She loves the boat and wants it fixed. We have discussed it in depth and we ready to put money in it. So I won't lose interest in it. I will get it done.

Like i said before I just want it done right. Upgrade things if possible. The Steve Austin thing. We can rebuild him better stronger.

Soon as I get my son off to school and the sun is up. I gonna try to get something done out there before the rain hits and I got to do my real work. Measure the stringers and where the side seat bracing is and write it down. Get that doghouse/(engine cover) as we call them in the van world out. Clean this load of junk I got stuffed in the ski locker cleaned out make room for more chopping. LOL it gonna take a while to get all this in the garbage can and gone. Nice thing is the boat looks good outside and all the ugly is in it. So the neighbors wont get all weirded out.