Hull support- preparing for stringer & deck replacement

rchill84

Recruit
Can anybody provide some insight on supporting the hull of my boat? I am preparing to get it ready for a stringer and deck work. Never restored stringers or a deck before so this is all new. Any help would be great. I plan to keep it on the trailer for the duration of the project. Budget friendly ideas especially welcome. Thanks in advance

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. You will get lots of help from the folks here. If you have the boat on a bunk trailer, then you will be in good shape as far as support of the hull while you replace the structure of the bot. Sometimes folks add a few supports under the keel towards the bow, if that area is not well supported by the trailer.

After 3 posts, you can upload some pictures, which always helps with responses.

rchill84

Recruit
I do have bunks, so that's good to hear. What about the sides. I guess ill be able to post a pic here soon, but to elaborate, its a '79 Sea Ox 19'. Once I cut the floor out, will the sides slump or tend to splay outward?

tpenfield

Staff member
You can add a second set of support (bunks) right under the chines to keep the shape of the hull intact.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Take LOTS of measurements before doing any demolition. You'll need em when you're ready to rebuild. Use nylon straps to wrap the hull and hold the sides in place. We're here to help to ask away!!!!

rchill84

Recruit
No Title

Thanks Woodonglass, I will do that for sure. Already opened up the back half of the boat just to see what I got. Wont go any more until I get the support figured out. Does anyone think 2 boat jack stands on each side of the boat would support the outward "relaxing" or of the hull? the straps would def be easy to do and economical, but I can see them being a pain going over/ under them for duration of project. Attached a couple photos

Attachments

• photo261420.JPG
    photo261420.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261421.JPG
    photo261421.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1