Installing Vinyl..

Hendu2875

Cadet
Ok so, once I have all my panels wrapped in Vinyl, whats the best, cleanest looking, way to attach my deck panels to the boat stringers/floor.. Stainless steel screws with a type of washer? Rivets?

Hendu2875

Cadet
I'm working on an ALUMINUM Boat.. 3/4" decking wrapped in Nautolex vinyl.. I need to secure all the panels back into the boat..
Its all aluminum stringers and framing. I cant upload pictures, says they are too big

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Thanks for clarifying that you are working on an aluminum boat. I am not an aluminum boat sailor; but one of our most experienced members - ondarvr - was discussing a similar issue yesterday and suggested that recently, new floor types such as Aluminum floor is attached to the structure with Velcro. I am not sure if this can also apply to the traditional wood panels.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...5#post10362775

Hopefully, he will stop by and chime in.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
I used "truss head" screws to attached the decking. SS screws are a bit soft to drive into the aluminum stringers (stripped heads) so I tapped all holes with a steel screw, then inserted the SS screw into the tapped hole. Chop the head of a 3-4" long steel screw of the same size/pitch, chuck the screw into a drill, then use this as a tap to cut the threads into the aluminum stringers. Put a bit of wax on the screw so it doesn't bind in the aluminum.

I didn't use washers, but had a couple screws cut through the vinyl, so I put washers under those screws. I put a bit of wax under the screw head so it wouldn't grab the vinyl, which worked well except for a couple that I tightened down too much or hit a void...

You can also rivet the deck panels down, which is quicker, but if you ever need to remove a panel it's more difficult...

harleyman1975

Ensign
I suppose it is too late to put bolts through just the plywood and then drill through ceiling and put a nut on the back side.