96 Celebrity 220 BR stringers, transom, and deck replacement.

eriki

Seaman

Excuse the mess. Also that is not an air bubble on the left side, it was just a lighter color PB I used.

Last edited:

eriki

Seaman
Well I got the bilge and transome gelcoated this weekend and got the motor in!! What a great feeling it is. I still need to glass in my seat bases and gelcoat the deck. Right now I'm working on getting the engine aligned and putting it back together.

eriki

Seaman
Got my seat bases glassed in and first coat of gel on the deck. Still having a trouble with the engine alignment, front still needs to be lower but I cannot adjust it any lower.

eriki

Seaman
It has 2 coats. I'm leaving it as is, it's the texture from the fiberglass and also have a nonskid additive in it

eriki

Seaman
So I am having problems with the engine alignment still. I have the front mounts adjusted as low as they go and my alignment tool is still showing it needs to go down more. I have the rear mounts all in the correct order with the fiber washer/spring washer, and the mounts do not appear to be sagging. Lifted the engine back up and took off the front mounts and then aligned the engine with out them on just fine. It seems that I may have made the stringer mount about 3/8ths to tall? I don't know how this is possible as I did a direct copy of the old mounts that were in it. So right now I think I have to shave some of the stringer down and re-glass it so I can adjust for the correct height. Anyone have any input on this?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Only thing I can think of off hand is that the key hole is lower now, or the transom angle got changed due to extra glass at the top of the keyhole. Without being there this is just a guess. If your saying the mounts are exactly the same now as what you took out I'm not sure what else can explain this.

tpenfield

Staff member
So I am having problems with the engine alignment still. I have the front mounts adjusted as low as they go and my alignment tool is still showing it needs to go down more. I have the rear mounts all in the correct order with the fiber washer/spring washer, and the mounts do not appear to be sagging. Lifted the engine back up and took off the front mounts and then aligned the engine with out them on just fine. It seems that I may have made the stringer mount about 3/8ths to tall? I don't know how this is possible as I did a direct copy of the old mounts that were in it. So right now I think I have to shave some of the stringer down and re-glass it so I can adjust for the correct height. Anyone have any input on this?

Could be. . . IIRC, the beginning sections of the Mercruiser manual shows some installation dimensions that you could reference. I would double check before cutting.

Do you have any 'before' pictures of the engine mounts after you had removed the engine? In addition to the 'direct copy' of the engine mounts, did you take measurements, etc.? Is the deck height the same as before?

Also, . . I'm assuming the the transom keyhole is in the same place as you used the original cutout.

eriki

Seaman
Yeah I have the before pictures of the mounts and I was able to save the mounts when I cut them out so I used them as a copy. Deck height is the same and obviously can't change the key hole being lower. I think what happened is I made them about 3/8ths to tall. With the mounts off and aligned in place, it is the thickness of the jam nut to tall. So with it aligned suspended, I rotated the engine in 90-180-270 and the bar went in perfect giving the same reads. The transom was with in spec of 1/8th of an inch, and with in spec on the outside at less than 1/16th. Should have put the engine in first to mark the mount height.

eriki

Seaman
Other than the mounts being made to tall I don't know what could cause this. The rear mounts aren't sagging either..

eriki

Seaman
Well finally got the engine aligned after cutting down the mount and reglassing it. Got most everything connected and ready to go. Still working on removing my Ujoints but they are not wanting to budge.