96 Celebrity 220 BR stringers, transom, and deck replacement.

eriki

Seaman
Well figured I'd post up my progress on my 96 celebrity 220 BR restore. It has a 7.4l 454 bravo1 combo. The boat its self is in amazing condition inside and out minus the deck ECT. Started to get a soft spot at the end of the year and decided to go for the replacement. Started in October and am close to finished now.
Here's some pictures of the boat and from what I started with and where I am at now.
Day I picked her up

Lake Cumberland

Last edited:

eriki

Seaman
The transom is all glassed in, still need to add another layer of csm for my final thickness. Still need to make motor mounts, tab in deck (still removing carpet glue), foam deck and then glass deck with csm. Hopefully will
Have a lot done with in the next 2 weeks or so.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow man, you started yours about the same time I started mine. We appear to be close to the same point. Looks like your moving right along. Nice boat, post your progress more often.

eriki

Seaman
Thanks I will have to. I've seen your thread as well, looking real good

eriki

Seaman
Any tips for removing carpet glue? I'm struggling yo get it all off 😩

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Mine was a bit crusty, so I was able to use a wire wheel on a 4-1/2" grinder. I also used some MEK on the tougher spots.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I never found a solvent to remove carpet adhesive. I,ground it out with wire wheels and abrasive disks,.

eriki

Seaman
I was using a stripper wheel on my grinder but it just got all gummed up and wore down really fast.used a wire brush attachment on my sawzawll and that gummed up bad as well. Also used heat gun with a scraper attachment, but it would just end up making a mess of it sticking everywhere. Gonna get some MEK and more discs for the angle grinder today. Hopefully will have it all off today and be able to tab the deck in tomorrow and get the foam in this week since it's finally warming up here and garage temps are getting perfect to do so.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That's a real sharp boat. Well worth the effort to fix up. Kudos to you for stripping/grinding it down to the bare hull and rebuilding it the right way instead of trying a patch job.

eriki

Seaman
Not to much to update, tabbed the deck in, built my motor mounts and started to bed in the starboard side but ran out of cabosil. Drilled 2 inch holes to pour the foam this weekend. Pictures to come this weekend.

eriki

Seaman
Well got the foam in last weekend but ran out and had to order more. Finished up the foam today and got the pucks PBd in. Also got my motor mounts made and bed in place. Hoping to get the first layer of csm on the deck tomorrow!!

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Nice update. Where did you get your pour in foam, what did you pay, and how much did you use? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'll be needing foam soon.

eriki

Seaman
I got it from US composites. The 2lb density foam, I got 3 of the 16lb kits and I ran out and had to order one more plus a 2lb kit. So depending on your boat you may be better off ordering the 5gal kit.

eriki

Seaman
Got the deck all sanded down today and layed a coat of resin. Also installed gas tank and sealed the hatch. Going to lay the first layer of csm tomorrow. Hoping I do not run out of resin to finish the floor. I will at least need to order some more to finish up the motor mounts.

eriki

Seaman
So far I have ordered 20 gals of resin and am half way through my last 5 gal. The struggle is real. Also can't wait to not have clothes covered in fiberglass anymore 😑

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ya know... 1 gallon of resin should wet out 4 yards of CDM or 1708. Sound like you're using too much resin but...that's kinda typical for newbs!!! Try using less and rolling more😉