Supermarine paint SM-1000

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just recently purchased three quarts of this resin blend for the bottom and top side of my boat. And now just two weeks later, the web page is gone, the paint brand of Supermarine is gone. It is manufactured by Top Secret coatings, who has a few web sites with different identities hawking their wares, as the only reference I can find for Supermarine paint goes to the Top Secret coatings site, where the product Supermarine is only there in a picture of their products, but not listed for sale.
The brands of I Paint, Super Marine Paint, National Paint Industries, Top Secret Coatings, all have the same physical address in North Brunswick, NJ.
I now see online some not very favorable reviews for this company. I'm still going to use the paint as I have to eat the cost of it anyway as it is nonreturnable.
Live and learn I guess.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Member Andgott had nothing but good things to say about Supermarine paints, as did others. To the best of my knowledge no member has posted any bad reviews of their products here.......

Entirely scrubbed from the makers site is cause for concern though, keep us posted on how the painting goes.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read of good results of the product here in the archives, mainly of customer service complaints I have found elsewhere.

G

I tried the Supermarine SM 1000 paint (Norse Blue) on the bottom one of my boats, and it works and looks great. Sad to see the site gone, I wanted to put in on my other boat. CC.jpeg

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I reached out to National Paint Industries about their supermarine paint several weeks ago asking about tech info and information/tips regarding what gun/nozzle to use to spray out and got immediate and thorough help, so for me the customer service was exceptional, they even gave me a discount code for 15% off of the SM-1000 in their store, I have not yet purchased or used SM-1000 but intend to use it this month,

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They put a 25% off coupon in with my paint on my next order. I'm not sure that I'll use it.

G

Kcon-

Can you provide the contact information for National Paint? I would like to get some more SM1000, thanks!

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kcon-

Can you provide the contact information for National Paint? I would like to get some more SM1000, thanks!

I got an email from someone after contacting them through their old website (which is now gone) I'll send you his email in a PM.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just an update, I wonder if anyone who had used this product, the SM-1000, if they have used a hardener in it?
I have painted a sample of sm-1000 on a small square of aluminum, it has been eight days drying indoors in my shop, at 40% humidity. I can scratch the paint pretty firmly with my fingernail and leave marks in the paint, it doesn't come off, just seems soft yet. I brushed the sample on thin, just enough to cover the gray
primer from showing through, specs recommend 3 mill thickness, so I know it isn't too thick.
I am wondering if a hardener is needed or just more days to harden.

I have read the sticky on painting alunimum boats and prep, good stuff.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
it has been eight days drying indoors in my shop, at 40% humidity. I can scratch the paint pretty firmly with my fingernail and leave marks in the paint, it doesn't come off, just seems soft yet.

Sounds like the Petit Easypoxy paint I used on my Starcraft. Absolute friggin garbage. That's why I tell people to just use Rustoleum with hardener or step up to a true 2 part marine paint and skip any of the mid range single stage paints.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I looked into that, I wish they had a selection of colors.

Ace hardware (some) will tint their brand of Rusto, Rust-Stop and offer more colors too..... IIRC, as an example, 3 shades of a dark(ish) blue.

And the hardener can be used in ANY oil based enamel paint, not just Rusto.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class