Below the Waterline

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Time to restore/paint the bottom. This is what it looks like after pressure washing. I have an idea to soda blast it as the easiest way. Home Depot sells a $50 air blaster. I read somewhere soda is the best media to use on fiberglass. yes/no? I want to take it down to the gel coat or whatever is below the paint. This boat is 40 years old. As it is a trailer queen I will not paint it with an involved, expensive paint. Any suggestions on the type/brand of paint for the bottom? The topsides will be painted with something like Awl Grip. Any suggestions. I think the PO did the topsides and decks with Rustoleum. I found several gallons in the cabin. Any how, this is my first time out with redoing the bottom. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo261149.jpg
    photo261149.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261150.jpg
    photo261150.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

pckeen

Commander
I don't know the answer to the soda blasting question.

I'm wondering if someone has put ablative paint below the waterline - in which case, you may be best off giving it a sand, getting any loose stuff off, and repainting below the waterline with ablative paint.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Soda blasting is not as easy as it looks. The angle of the nozzel, the pressure, the speed, how long you stay on one spot, all of this affect the quality of the final job as well as the damage that might happen. read this thread carefully for more details

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/100616-soda-blast-bottom-paint-beware-old-thread.html#b

If you going to repaint, sanding and reapplying the paint will suffice. If you insist on soda blasting, start with the lowest possible setting and take your time. If you are not trying to reveal the original gel for the purpose of polishing it and keep it visible, don't go overboard with the blasting. Sand only to the point that allows you to apply the new paint. best of luck to you

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Based on your pics I'd say that's ablative bottom paint. It's some nasty stuff. I would never recommend soda blasting a fiberglass hull. Sand, Scrape, whatever it takes. NOTE If you sand or scrape you MUST use a mask. The Ablative paint has some NASTY stuff in it and you DON'T want to inhale it. You can use rustoleum as long as you use the acrylic enamel hardener. The last link in my signature below has a lot of helpful info on how to successfully paint with rustoleum. Lots of members, including myself, have done so with Great success!!

FrizFreleng

Seaman
This is what the hull looks like after pressure washing. It had a 3 inch green fur coat when I pulled it out of the marina. May well have ablative paint in one of the layers. As I said it is 40 years old. Don't know much about id'ing paint. It does come off in some good sized chips.

Not having a delicate hand I believe I will leave the soda blasting alone. Thanks for the heads-up.

That is an excellent explanation of the painting process. Sounds as if you have done it a few times.

I really appreaciate the help/info with this.