Holes in front of bilge pump.

Bosshogg73

Cadet
I'm new to boating but I have a question. In front of my bilge pump I have a hole that looks like goes to the hull or somewhere. Is the bilge suppose to be completely sealed off? I will try to post a picture but it keeps saying file is too big

pckeen

Commander
If you are talking about a single hole in the transom at the back of the boat, that is a drain hole - you fill it with a plug. If you are talking about a hole elsewhere, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

As for the pictures, you need to resize them to a web size - they should be 100k or so - if taken with a cell phone camera or digital camera, the file size may simply be too large. There are plenty of methods to reduce the picture size. If you have a modern PC, with a microsoft operating system, the photo gallery program has a built in 'resize' under the editing tab. If you don't just google 'resize photo' and you'll find a photo or app that works.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bosshogg73

Cadet
I got it to post.. it's a 1990 regal valanti 225sc. My buddy told me the bilge is suppose to be completely sealed. But mine has 2 holes on it and I have a water leak that I'm trying to find and get fixed... when I'm on the lake the water runs thru those holes. When I trailer the and remove the plug water comes out the bilge then the pour out those holes also...

jbcurt00

Staff member
I cant really see a hole in your pix.

Can you post a better pix or crop the pix a little and circle the area w a hole?

It sort of looks like there maybe an area w a hole under the wrinkled fiberglass fold. Nut that doesnt really look like an intentional hole, more of a bad spot thats failed, leaving a rough hole....

And there appears to be a hose end sticking down into the top middle of the pix. Wheres that hose supposed to go....

Bosshogg73

Cadet
I cant really see a hole in your pix.

Can you post a better pix or crop the pix a little and circle the area w a hole?

It sort of looks like there maybe an area w a hole under the wrinkled fiberglass fold. Nut that doesnt really look like an intentional hole, more of a bad spot thats failed, leaving a rough hole....

And there appears to be a hose end sticking down into the top middle of the pix. Wheres that hose supposed to go....

That hose comes from the deck. I have a drain there that goes back to the bilge. That black void behind the pump is the hole. I bought the boat in january. When I stuck my hand in the hole I pulled out a piece of wet wood.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That hose comes from the deck. I have a drain there that goes back to the bilge. That black void behind the pump is the hole. I bought the boat in january. When I stuck my hand in the hole I pulled out a piece of wet wood.

That last bit does not bode well when added.to the water RUNNING out of it after boating......

I suggest there is a good bit of work ahead, not likely what you want to hear.....

Bosshogg73

Cadet
That last bit does not bode well when added.to the water RUNNING out of it after boating......

I suggest there is a good bit of work ahead, not likely what you want to hear.....

What kind of work? And yea when I pull the plug water runs out but isn't that normal?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not usually when it runs out of a hole that you pulled wet wood out of..... A little water draining out the transom plug hole, yes. A lot no, not normal...

Replacement of deck and stringers ... probably the transom too

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have to pay someone, it will cost you about $8k or more

if you do the work yourself, it will cost you about $2k - $2500 in materials

at the top of the forums are the stickies. here is a link to the sticky at the top of this forum http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

read link 14 in its entirety. watch the videos, etc. this will give you an understanding of what needs to be done, and how to do it. then you decide to either take it to a shop or do it yourself