1963 Starcraft lancer restore

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know, but my Bellboy has what's called a Webcore hull. No stingers, just a solid "stringer" style fiberglass
structure.

How did your floor structure attach to these?
I'll have to look again but it looks like it was pinned somehow. The center one appear to be solid so I'll double check those to see if hollow. The outer ones weren't used to fasten the floor from what I can tell

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Lower, re-looking at your hull. it really looks like there was some type tubes installed instead of stringers on each side. And that may have been their answer to channeling water out of the hull if it got underneath the flooring. But that is only a wild guess with me.

I have no idea what you have plans to do. Maybe you have a plan all set out. If so let us know. I'd be interested in it.

However, If I were doing this, I would take all the existing stringers, and tube looking things out, and the grind the area for new stringer setup. Then I would install the new center section stringer, but not in the dead center. I would build the new stringer setup off the center on each side so water could flow easily in the center section. That is the lowest section of the hull and would be the collection point for water.

Then I would add two more stringers. One on each side a mid-point from the stringers you installed in the middle section to the side of the hull on each side. So it would actually be four total stringers. And that would be enough to support your flooring system without any issues. Sound like a lot of work, but when making stringers, you would simply produce two stringers of the exact same dimensions for each set, being how both sides would be equal. That probably sound a bit confusing so here is what I mean.

Boat Layout.jpg

Then I would use some Mix and Pour 2lbs flotation foam and fill in all the out side areas with foam. Leaving the center section totally open for water to travel to the bilge area and be pumped out. But then again, this is just my opinion and other will have other ideas as well. JMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's about the worst job of glassin' in stringers I've ever seen. My advice is to remove it ALL down to the hull and start over. I'd bet that it was originally designed and built using 1/2 moon cardboard tubing covered with the heavy woven roving. The Cardboard has long ago become wet and has dissolved. The Heavy woven roving carries the load so the "Core" material is NOT important. If you clean it all up and find that everything is still well adhered to the hull then I suppose you could leave it as is but...You'll need to get her very clean and do a thorough inspection. This type of stringer system is actually pretty good IF it's done properly From the looks if it it was thrown together pretty quickly with very little attention to details. I'd take her to a power wash and get it clean and then start looking. Let us know your progress.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's about the worst job of glassin' in stringers I've ever seen. My advice is to remove it ALL down to the hull and start over. I'd bet that it was originally designed and built using 1/2 moon cardboard tubing covered with the heavy woven roving. The Cardboard has long ago become wet and has dissolved. The Heavy woven roving carries the load so the "Core" material is NOT important. If you clean it all up and find that everything is still well adhered to the hull then I suppose you could leave it as is but...You'll need to get her very clean and do a thorough inspection. This type of stringer system is actually pretty good IF it's done properly From the looks if it it was thrown together pretty quickly with very little attention to details. I'd take her to a power wash and get it clean and then start looking. Let us know your progress.

That's a doable idea as well. We will see.

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm still crying myself to sleep at night thinking of doing that much glass. I'll look at it tonight and see what gonna have to happen. I'm still hoping that I can leave the center stringers but I'll be damned if I come this far to do a partially ok might last a year kinda job. Worst case is it'll be next year before it gets splashed. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks everyone!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey there's always lots of aluminum Starcrafts out there, no glassing and the hull would probably cost the same as all the glass supplies you'll have to buy. :D

Then you could join us guys wearing the foil hats in the SC section. :lol: :tinfoil3:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey there's always lots of aluminum Starcrafts out there, no glassing and the hull would probably cost the same as all the glass supplies you'll have to buy. :D

Then you could join us guys wearing the foil hats in the SC section. :lol: :tinfoil3:

That may be true, but fish really like to ride in glass boats better. :drum: :cheer2::boink:

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol I've tore Indiana apart looking for an aluminum hull Starcraft from the 60's. Everybody seems to think they're worth thousands lol but not worth enough to do anything with themselves mind you:) I'm up for the challenge just wish I had more time in one day

Last edited:

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I took another look... Bad news is the stringers seem to be detached from the boat. As I suspected there are only three legit stringers in the middle section of the boat. Then there are two hollow half tubes on each side. Also I finally found what was left of wood in the stringers. So here are my questions...

1.) should I build it back the same way? Fairly certain I could do this (half moons and all) or should I go with the above design which I really liked but I've been told to always build back the same way...

2.) What kinda wood should I use?

3.) Can anyone walk me through building stringers? I ve looked through the tutorials but still a little fuzzy.

Most of you guys have way more experience than I ever will so I'm kinda looking for some guidance here.

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo265635.jpg
    photo265635.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0

Pusher

Lieutenant
I don't usuualy knock someone's stuff, but that REALLY is ugly. If you redo the stringers you'll be satisfied with your job.

Which oart if the stringer process are you fuzzy on? These guys are great at stringers. (Me, not so much)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Lower, I can't tell you which way is the better option. I can only tell you which way "I" would do it.

I would remove all that ugly crap out of there, grind everything to good clean fiberglass again and go back with a simple proven stringer method that I posted above. WHY? Because it is both structurally sound and way easier to do. And it will absolutely support any flooring you decide to install without question. But that is just MY idea and opinion.

Maybe others will offer their ideas for you to chose from. And that is because there is no one way to do most anything concerning boats.

Whatever you decide to do, removing all that ugly fiberglass junk will certainly clean up the hull and remove a lot of useless material that was only adding weight. JMHO

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lower, I can't tell you which way is the better option. I can only tell you which way "I" would do it.

I would remove all that ugly crap out of there, grind everything to good clean fiberglass again and go back with a simple proven stringer method that I posted above. WHY? Because it is both structurally sound and way easier to do. And it will absolutely support any flooring you decide to install without question. But that is just MY idea and opinion.

Maybe others will offer their ideas for you to chose from. And that is because there is no one way to do most anything concerning boats.

Whatever you decide to do, removing all that ugly fiberglass junk will certainly clean up the hull and remove a lot of useless material that was only adding weight. JMHO

what type of wood am I supposed to use for stringers...I guess just follow WOG tutorial for stringers after I get the type of wood...

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
what type of wood am I supposed to use for stringers...I guess just follow WOG tutorial for stringers after I get the type of wood...

Following WOG's guide is the best idea. Most guys will just use what they can get locally and not worry to much about it as it will be encapsulated in the fiberglass. Some people have gone and got oak, while others have used pine or fir. Just make sure that you get something that has a low moisture content (Kiln Dried).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can use exterior grade plywoods for your stringers. Most iboaters laminate 3/4" exterior grade plywood together to make whatever width they need. You can use different thickness plies if need be. But it has to be exterior grade so that the glue they used manufacturing it will not delaminate if water gets to it.

I did that exact method with my boat. If you can to see how I did mine, click on the link below and have a look. It is basically how you will do yours as well. JMHO

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some 4/4 kiln dried white oak lol but figured that might be overkill and hate using that to cover up. I'll prob go with the plywood... Thanks everyone!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Being an avid wood worker my self, I just couldn't use white or red oak for anything like stringers. I would build something presentable with such wood. And I have a lot of each type hardwood laying around as well. :eek:

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stupid question but can I use 2x4's and if I use plywood do I have to scarf join the ends to get my 15 ' or so?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Stupid question but can I use 2x4's and if I use plywood do I have to scarf join the ends to get my 15 ' or so?

Answer: Yes you can basically use most any type wood you please. However, plywoods laminated together makes a superior stringer to simple 2 x 4 stringers. The laminated wood (exterior grade) uses waterproof glues when manufactured and that make them very strong. As for the type joint, again most any type joint will work, even simple butt joints. However, the better joints like rabbit, scarf, or lap joints will make the joint stronger then simple butt joints. And laminated joints are even better. That is another good reason to use plywoods. They can be lapped together and laminated as well to make the width you need while make a extremely strong stringer system. Here is what I just posted on another project build.

Floor-14.JPG
This is how I laminated my stringer/bulkhead system for my boat rebuild. This is a dry layup, but you get the idea. Plywood makes very strong stingers and I even dadoed the bulkheads into them for added strength. The holes in the bulkheads were for PVC pipe to allow wires and hoses for the live well and other electrical runs.

Hope this helps some. JMHO