14ft aluminum transom repair

Uglylure

Cadet
Ahoy all, glad to be aboard..right to the point...here are some pics, recommendations please jeffboat.jpgAppreciate all the help..hoping to launch 24 weekend...trailer bunks also in the works...read a lot of transom repair threads...definitely helped a lot, told friends, if they need an answer, come to I-Boats.

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 0
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286684.jpg
    photo286684.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286685.jpg
    photo286685.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286686.jpg
    photo286686.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286687.jpg
    photo286687.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286688.jpg
    photo286688.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286689.jpg
    photo286689.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome

You need transom end caps. The busted ones can be replaced, but probably not quickly or w factory originals. Its often a waiting game.

Check ebay, there may be some similar enough to work.

Cut new 3/4in plywood to fit, seal it and install it front and back of the transom skin. The piece on the outside was probably shaped similar to a baseball home plate. The inside piece was gunwale to gunwale

Weldorthemagnificent

Seaman Apprentice
I did one similar last year. i didn't put wood on the outside. I laminated/glued two pieces of plywood together to achieve the thickness between the transom and the bracket. Treat-varnish-paint the wood so it lasts. Use sealant around any through fasteners. As for the transom caps, I'd get a local fab shop to cut a couple corner gussets and bend down a lip on one side. The lip to the rear and screw-bolt-rivet them in. Good luck it looks like a cool old hull.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I recently saw an aluminum fishing boat with DIY fabricated Transom Caps. Wish I would have taken pic. Basically the guy bout some 1/4" aluminum plate from eBay ($30) and cut/bent them to fit. This is a poor drawing but the results resembled this...
Transom Corner Caps.jpg

He said he cut them with a jig saw (as shown above) and then clamped them in his vice with some angle iron and then used a block of wood and 2lb hammer to make the bends at the orange lines. They really looked almost factory. He filed the edges round. I think he said the Aluminum plate was a 1/4" x 10" x 24" piece for that amount.
I'm pretty sure a "Handy" iBoater could do this!!!!:rockon:

Uglylure

Cadet
Appreciate all the help all, I will post the finished product pics when all done..Happy Boating all, Thanks so much!

Uglylure

Cadet
Boat pics as promised

I have to apologize for taking so long for getting these pictures uploaded(and hope it works). It was a fun summer project, lots of laughs with my buddy helping out. Still a few things to finish but here you go.