1984 Starcraft 16ft Glutton for Punishment [Splashed July 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
fishing is something.....

That is very true RJ, that was at the couples retreat and wasn't even the biggest one pulled in (Not by me but by others fishing near me).

Doing final measurements tonight before placing order for most of the immediate hardware I will be replacing on trailer. A lot of the other stuff I can get here from Iboats.

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
About that trailer place, yes they are good, most stuff you can find here except axles.

SHSU

Thanks RJ, looks like I got edited. Will be getting stuff that I can from Iboats, but sometimes just got to go other places. Love what they do for us and allowing us to use their forum.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yep and they do price match, plus don't forget your 5% forum discount code. Not gonna tell ya where, it's almost Easter. Enjoy the hunt.

SHSU

yep and they do price match, plus don't forget your 5% forum discount code. Not gonna tell ya where, it's almost Easter. Enjoy the hunt.

I was not aware of the discount, reread the forum rules so better versed on that. Will have to look into that for next time. Placed my orders last night on Iboats and will have to go to the lumber yard sometime this week for the cypress.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some is auto-edit, as SHSUs initial post that was editted, I editted out the astricted auto-edit content.

I editted Joes reply later.

Carry on. It happens occasionally, my edits didnt warrant a follow up PM to either of you

SHSU

Some is auto-edit, as SHSUs initial post that was editted, I editted out the astricted auto-edit content.

Carry on. It happens occasionally, my edits didnt warrant a follow up PM to either of you

Cool, thanks for clarifying JB. Hopefully I will be getting some new pics up after this weekend with some progress photos of the trailer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I spell really badly online, thanks for continuing that for me.....

SHSU

So after calling around, looks like I can't get cypress in 2x6..... So after talking with some others, and more research i decided to go with Douglas Fir. It has some great properties so making a run tomorrow for it at a lumber yard. Was also asking about oak, but someone mentioned that Fir will conform to the hull shape and cradle better.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Fir should do just fine, it's all I used for my Chief and SS bunks. Sealed up including the bolt holes that are countersunk for round head carriage bolts..

IMAG2202.jpg

SHSU

Fir should do just fine, it's all I used for my Chief and SS bunks. Sealed up including the bolt holes that are countersunk for round head carriage bolts..

WM, how did you seal the boards? I was thinking of using Teak Oil and not wrapping since I will be using slicks

Watermann

I put on a few coats of clear gloss Helmsman spar urethane.

SHSU

Alright, been a while since I had anything to post. I finally got all of my orders in and squared away storage of the boat while I work on the trailer. Currently it is in my parents garage. Got to love parents!!!!
DSC03379.JPG

So once boat was off trailer got to get a better look at some of the other areas. As you can see from pics, previous owner let it sit for awhile. The frame is in descent condition and a wire wheel should take care of any surface rust.

DSC03363.JPG

A better look at the side bunks. If you look really close, you will notice the back port bracket for the bunk is gone. Rusted completely through. Driving to my parents was scary. Vehicles would come rolling up and then see the bunk and back way off. Thankfully made it to my folks without anything coming off. The bunks will be torn out and all the hardware replaced. Springs and bearings will also be done too. I figure I might as well go all out and replace everything I can to upgrade the trailer. I know some would say just buy another or its a trailer and not worth it, but like I said I am a Glutton for Punishment. Also you will notice the keel rollers. They are a unique design that from research apparently a company here in Texas made. They are attached to a lever so when you pull it, the keel rollers come up and lift the boat for easier unloading.

DSC03373.JPG

A better picture of the keel roller assembly. You will also notice the nice 2x4 shag carpet there that has been sitting for years.....

DSC03369.JPG

Lets see whats underneath.....

DSC03380.JPG

Well I guess I needed some rust somewhere... A wire wheel and paint should help that. Don't think I will replace with wood here, going to use scraps of Starboard from the side runners and build that up so no wood.

I got 4 pieces of 5 x 47 starboard. I figure that should be enough to do the bunks and leave me some extra to do the keel rests and maybe make a sacrificial
transom bracket for me to drill attachments into

Hopefully will have some more pics in the coming days of progress on the trailer. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Know ya'll speak from experience so any and all is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Watermann

If you have troubles removing the rust with a drill and wire wheel try a flapper disk on your angle grinder.

SHSU

If you have troubles removing the rust with a drill and wire wheel try a flapper disk on your angle grinder.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I have a couple of different kinds of wire wheels for my angle grinder. Between work and family, will get to see how much i get done in the next couple days

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I KNOW this is gunna sound weird but...Buy some Cheap Ketchup and put a REALLY thick coat of it on the rusted metal. Leave it overnight and then wash it off and wire brush the metal. I think you'll be amazed at the results.;):D:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.