1984 Starcraft 16ft Glutton for Punishment [Splashed July 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Where do you keep seeing everyone say PT? Not here. And are we still talking about the bunks?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I used PT for my carpeted bunks and have suffered no ill effects.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Where do you keep seeing everyone say PT? Not here. And are we still talking about the bunks?

Its here on Iboats forum but I have to assume glassers. I did google search mostly and people keep referencing use of PT from the posts I found on various websites. Figured for tin we would not to but wanted to double check. Also saw reference to cypress. I am pretty sure I can get that, not sure what the cost would be, but worth a look.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Was it PT for bunks you were reading?

PT shouldnt be used to rebuild the interiors, transom or stringers of glassers or tin.....

Cypress bunks would certainly look nice.... esp w bunk slicks instead of carpet...

SHSU

Ya, sorry if I confused anyone. The PT would only be for the bunks. Interior I would use exterior grade plywood sealed with poly or epoxy with some glass.

I agree the cypress would be really pretty, not sure on the finish though. Would you varnish or use teak oil/BLO? Also, if i was going to carpet, would you only do the face touching the hull? Truthfully I like the bunk slicks better, but don't know about the admiral.

SHSU

RJ, do you notice any wear on your boats because of it (i.e. paint)?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the glides? no - but not really looking - when the boat is in the water you cant see the bottom so I don't care.. However should be less chance than carpet. You ever got a rug burn? Hope you were having fun when you did.... I've never got a plastic burn and there have been a few times.....well I'll leave that alone.

The glides are way more slick, that is their function. I have two kinds - one is totally solid surface and sits on top of the bunk, screwed in form top down, countersunk for the screw heads. The other (on the little boat) has grooves in a crosshatch - those I got here on iboats - and they slip over the top and screw in the sides.

Each one work about the same as the other.

RStewart

Seaman
It would depend on how many of the 2x6 bunks you plan on and weight up front that can be taken with a keel roller. Here's my SS trailer bunk set up and the ends are about a foot over the supports with no ability to add a keel roller up front.
IMAG2217.jpg

That's a sweet trailer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My .02, I would shy away from those rock hard slicks with a riveted boat, fine for glassers I guess with no rivet heads or seams to catch. After launching my Chief I inspect the bunks and see dents in the carpet from the rivet heads, but on that hard plastic the rivets will ride on it rather than sinking into the carpet allowing the hull to settle in on the whole bunk.

SHSU

Ya'll have given some great insight. If i go with the cypress lumber I really think I would not want to cover with carpet. Its just such a pretty piece of wood. To WM's point, however, if i go with the slick boards I would need to make sure the rivets don't ride on the bunks.

Here I was thinking ya'll would help me decide!!!! LOL, just need to make a decision and move forward.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Here I was thinking ya'll would help me decide!!!! LOL, just need to make a decision and move forward.

Carpeted PT junk from Lowes. Been working fine for me for 7+ years. There I decided for ya. :)

jBzGe3w.jpg

SHSU

Carpeted PT junk from Lowes. Been working fine for me for 7+ years. There I decided for ya. :)

LOL, thanks EZ. You know how to make a decision. Now just need to know if I go carpet or slick bunks :wink-new:

I am tied up this weekend with a couples retreat (Admiral's idea) so wont get anything done. Will just have to keep dreaming in my head for another week, but I am keeping the Admiral happy. Admiral happy means I can keep spending money :greedy_dollars:

On a side note, my rivet removal tool came in and it works fairly well. Drilled out a couple fairly easily. So when we get to that stage, hopefully it wont be to bad.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I had to make new bunks for my old trailer I carpeted them, that boat was on and off the trailer a couple times a week for a few seasons before I sold it, never had to touch them again after the initial replacement. I did my current trailer the same way anticipating the same result. Like EZ said, there decided, LOL. I did toy with the idea of doing some UHMW on the bunks, but thought it would just end up rubbing off the new paint I applied to the bottom of the boat.

vfw5xw.jpg

SHSU

Thanks all. I think in the end, I will be going with the Cypress boards and some form of custom starboard cut for bunk slicks. Wasn't able to get anything done this weekend with the admiral and I being at a couples retreat; however, I was able to do some fishing :D

Weekend.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.