Tide Craft Spitfire v15 wood rot

MrDarrell

Recruit
First of all this is my first post. I have been reading iboats for some time now. But now it's time to present the start of my rebuild. I purchased this project back in July and iv been swamped with work until recently so I began to tinker away.
Iv removed almost all of material from the stringers and doubled back with 80 grit.
Also dealing with nearly a 6 foot gash of a hole along the bottom corner.
I figured cereal box lined with wax paper taped to the bottom and side with a mild fold in it should replicate the corner that's missing. Ya that corner was filled with some type of filler and no fiberglass / resin to patch it in. Originally after inspecting the corner originally , it had look like 1-2 inch stress crack. Ohh that as far from what was hidden under the repaint job!
I will certainly post some photos soon.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Welcome to the funhouse, a 6' long gash repair along with stringer and floor rot sounds like a dooosey of a project, be sure to check the transom thoroughly. With a gash like that a lot of water got to places its not supposed to.

MrDarrell

Recruit
It's a hell of a project but the crappy part is mostly done. Removed everything to the shell so I had a good bond iv made.
First of all this boat off the line hadn't had a good glassing job.
The main center stringer had areas where it appears the glass did not get rolled on properly and it fluffed up. I see a an area with a repair not using glass ☹
There were several stainless steel screws holding the floor screwed into the stringer and what not. All flotation was dripping wet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDarrell

Recruit
Iv got 2 layers of 1.5 oz chopped strand mat with good ol bondo 3m resin .
Iv had to do the heater on low under a tarp for 6 hours or till it's solid.
I have pre cut exter 3/4 ply ready.
I do have a quick question on treating my plywood with my epoxy, and that is.. do I epoxy each piece of wood first then assemble ? Or assemble then epoxy is the norm?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Your gunna need more than just csm for your repairs .. 1708 bi-axle is what is used mostly now days but a combination of csm and heavy woven cloth will work also if you can't find the 1708 . A 6' long gash is gunna need a pretty good glass lay up to make it strong ... Any reason you are going with epoxy for the deck instead of poly resin ? If you do just remember gell coat or any other poly product does not like to stick to epoxy ... But epoxy will stick to poly no problem ..
Need some pics of what ya got so we can see what your looking at ...Welcome aboard !!
:welcome:
btw. with as much work as you will be doing you should order some laminating resin other than the bondo stuff ..
The bondo has wax already added to it so you would need to sand in between layers of cured resin ..

Last edited: