Detaching Water Intake Hose on Fresh Water tank?

rossi45

Seaman Apprentice
Just trying to get the fresh water tank out of my Bayliner 2455. It's located down in the engine bay on the starboard side. It's all ready to take out except I can't figure out how to get the water intake hose off. In the attached pictures you can see the intake hose goes down into an L shaped fitting that goes into the water tank. It was clamped with a screw type hose clamp and then you can see that some sealant was used where it squeezed out. I tried twisting a bit to see if I could get the intake hose to come off, but the sealant is holding it on pretty good. So, is there a way to remove the hose other than cutting it off?

Attachments

• photo259525.PNG
    photo259525.PNG
    872.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259526.PNG
    photo259526.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
It's hard to say how much luck you'll have without knowing what the sealer is. But normally you'd slide something in between the hose and the fitting to loosen it. A pick or a small flat screwdriver.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I think by "intake" you mean "fill" since I can see a blue PEX line with a fitting that should be your outlet. If you look at the side of the tank there should be a threaded fitting that you can unscrew with a pair of channel lock pliers.

tpenfield

Staff member
Hair dryer or mild heat gun to soften the hose up a bit. See if you can heat 1 foot or so length of it, then try to slight twist and pull it up off of the fitting.

The problem tends to be that the hoses get brittle and nearly impossible to remove. Heating them up a bit gets them to be more pliable.

rossi45

Seaman Apprentice
I like the idea of heating it up. Didn't really occur to me. I'll give that a shot this weekend! I guess the follow up question would be, I'll have to reinstall the hose after some work has been done. Is it best to try to scrape out the sealant from the hose and then reapply some new stuff or just cut that end of the hose and start with a fresh end? Only issue may be that cutting would shorten it. Not sure how much slack I have left in that hose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cut the hose and buy a replacement hose

rossi45

Seaman Apprentice
I'd like to avoid replacing the hose if possible. The end that attaches to fill cap is in a very tight location. It may come down to that, though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the fill cap out with hose attached, replace hose, reinstall fill with new, longer hose, attach to tank, trim as required....go boating

I bet your still trying to fight the old brittle/stiff hose that is stuck on the barbs